Compare Specs JDM/EDM - Shuttle/Beagle

I was trying to figure out which model of Beagle I just bought and found this on
http://hondacivicwagon.yuku.com/topic/446/Honda-Shuttle-and-Honda-Beagle#.V6AZpzW9n0G

It was helpful and thought I would share

It was posted by clsmooth

I managed to compare some interesting specs with the North American Civic Wagons to the JDM / Euro Shuttles and Beagles. A have a sales brochure for both, so this is based on these.

An 89 Euro Shuttle came in both FWD (GL) and 4WD (1.6i-4WD). They both had the factory clear corner lights, amber side markers and all-amber rear tail light turn signals. They had an extra set of rear fog lights embedded in the rear bumper, and came with 13 silver colour steel wheels.

The GL came with a SOHC carburated 1.4L, D14xx engine with either an Si geared manual transmission or 4 speed automatic. They were available in Chianti Red Metallic, Superior Blue Metallic, and La Mer Green Metallic. It had the features the 4WD did, except only it had manual controlled mirrors, centre caps for the wheels, single exhaust tip, manual windows, no under seat tray, no driver footrest, only front mudflaps and only 2 speakers.

The 1.6i-4WD came with a MPFI SOHC ZC engine with only a 5 speed manual, similarly geared to the North American Civic Wagon. These were only available in Chianti Red Metallic and Blade Silver. These came fully loaded with the exception of paint-matched bumpers.

Between 92-95, Honda did not change the style of the Shuttle. They still retained their EF-style chassis and body. These Shuttles were re-labelled Beagles.

A 95 JDM Beagle came in both FWD (55X-Extra) and 4WD (RTi, RTi-LE, Beagle, Beagle-X). All of these Beagles came fully loaded, as far as additional equipment is concerned, like power windows, dual exhaust tips, etc.

The 55X is similar to the previous GL, only it came in different colours. Same carbed engine, etc; however its bumpers were paint-matched.

The RTi was a blend of the top model Beagle and 55X. It came with nearly all the same options except it retained the carburated engine. Otherwise it came with fog lights mounted at each end of the bumpers grill. In fact, the top of the grill opening has 2 curves molded into the top to clear these lights! That, and it came with what we know as those rare, white, alloy 4WD wheels. The RTi-LE, came with the MPFI SOHC ZC engine and some of those were 4WD.

The Beagle and Beagle-X is the most fully loaded, top of the line Shuttle or Beagle you can find. They all came with the 1.6L SOHC MPFI ZC engine and 4WD. These came in a 2-tone paint scheme where the top half is one colour, and from the door moldings down, was a metallic grey. Its options, (other then being fully loaded with power windows, dual exhaust tips, etc.) was a front bush-bar with dual 6" PIAA light mounted to them, under engine metal skid plate, tubular side steps under the factory side skirts and roof rack. Whats interesting about the Beagle is that it came with what we know as those 14” Del Sol alloy wheels, ’90 – ’93 Integra-style gauge cluster and ABS. Real-Time 4WD and ABS were markets as INTRAC. Additional accessories for these Beagles were the addition of a slave CD player, internal air filtering/freshening system, and what we know as those 14" CRX Si alloy wheels. A Beagle acquired the letter ‘X’ if it was equipped with the INTRAC system.

All models were available in either manual or automatic transmissions, except for the Beagle, which came with a manual only. The 55X, RTi, and RTi-LE came in dark blue, black, red and grey. The Beagle and Beagle-X came 2-tone, with the bottom half being grey metallic and the top half either being dark blue, black, dark green or red.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    This information is not at all very accurate.

All props to clsmooth, but he is Canadian and did not experience the JDM or EDM market where the Beagles were produced. He is either repeating misinformation or you have misread something.

Quoted reply incoming...
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    MrJayDM wrote: »
    An 89 Euro Shuttle came in both FWD (GL) and 4WD (1.6i-4WD). They both had the factory clear corner lights, amber side markers and all-amber rear tail light turn signals. They had an extra set of rear fog lights embedded in the rear bumper [optional!], and came with 13 silver colour steel wheels.

The GL came with a SOHC carburated 1.4L, D14xx engine with either an Si geared manual transmission or 4 speed automatic. They were available in Chianti Red Metallic, Superior Blue Metallic, and La Mer Green Metallic. It had the features the 4WD did, except only it had manual controlled mirrors, centre caps for the wheels, single exhaust tip, manual windows, no under seat tray, no driver footrest, only front mudflaps and only 2 speakers.

The 1.6i-4WD came with a MPFI SOHC ZC engine with only a 5 speed manual, similarly geared to the North American Civic Wagon. These were only available in Chianti Red Metallic and Blade Silver. These came fully loaded with the exception of paint-matched bumpers. [colour options not accurate, they were offered in more colours]

Between 92-95, Honda did not change the style of the Shuttle. They still retained their EF-style chassis and body. These Shuttles were re-labelled Beagles. [not accurate, the Shuttle continued to be produced - the Beagle is considered a facelift for the RTi]

A 95 JDM Beagle came in both FWD (55X-Extra) and 4WD (RTi, RTi-LE, Beagle, Beagle-X). All of these Beagles came fully loaded, as far as additional equipment is concerned, like power windows, dual exhaust tips, etc. [not even close. The Beagle is RT4WD only, with the same system as any other RTi or USDM RT4WD. It was definately available in automatic - I have driven one, and even helped swap one to MT]

The 55X is similar to the previous GL, only it came in different colours. Same carbed engine, etc; however its bumpers were paint-matched. [not true again - the 55X comes with a 'D15B' - how do I know you ask? Well my car is a 55X model.]

The RTi was a blend of the top model Beagle and 55X. It came with nearly all the same options except it retained the carburated engine. Otherwise it came with fog lights mounted at each end of the bumpers grill. In fact, the top of the grill opening has 2 curves molded into the top to clear these lights! That, and it came with what we know as those rare, white, alloy 4WD wheels. The RTi-LE, came with the MPFI SOHC ZC engine and some of those were 4WD. [again, not even close. The RTi is ALWAYS injected. The RTX is ALWAYS carburettored. The i stands for injection, the X stands for carb.]

The Beagle and Beagle-X is the most fully loaded, top of the line Shuttle or Beagle you can find. They all came with the 1.6L SOHC MPFI ZC engine and 4WD. These came in a 2-tone paint scheme where the top half is one colour, and from the door moldings down, was a metallic grey. Its options, (other then being fully loaded with power windows, dual exhaust tips, etc.) was a front bush-bar with dual 6" PIAA light mounted to them, under engine metal skid plate, tubular side steps under the factory side skirts and roof rack. Whats interesting about the Beagle is that it came with what we know as those 14” Del Sol alloy wheels, ’90 – ’93 Integra-style gauge cluster and ABS. Real-Time 4WD and ABS were markets as INTRAC. Additional accessories for these Beagles were the addition of a slave CD player, internal air filtering/freshening system, and what we know as those 14" CRX Si alloy wheels. A Beagle acquired the letter ‘X’ if it was equipped with the INTRAC system. [There is zero evidence of a Beagle ever receiving the INTRAC system and was only a rumor. There is no internal air filter. They do not have ABS.]

All models were available in either manual or automatic transmissions, except for the Beagle, which came with a manual only. [not true, have MT swapped a beagle] The 55X, RTi, and RTi-LE came in dark blue, black, red and grey [more colours available than this and it changed by year]. The Beagle and Beagle-X came 2-tone, with the bottom half being grey metallic and the top half either being dark blue, black, dark green or red.

This thread already has most of the information you were seeking; https://www.civicwagon.com/content.php?162-Fourth-Generation-Factbook-(EE-EY-EF)

Civic Shuttle Beagle
    JDM 94-96
    Chassis Code: E-EF5
    Engine Code: ZC (SOHC)
    Drivetrain: 6MT, 4AT, RT4WD
    Haydz wrote:
    Here is what I know about JDM chassis codes...
    EF1: Base model Civic (Hatch, Shuttle & Sedan). Comes with a 1.3L carbie'd D13B. Always FWD.
    EF2: Most common model of Civic (Hatch, Shuttle and Sedan). Usually came with a 1.5L dual carbie'd D15B4. Always FWD.
    EF3: Middle of the road (Hatch, Shuttle & Sedan). Came with either SOHC ZC or DOHC ZC. Always FWD. Optional A.L.B and L.S.D
    EF4: Most common models with RT4WD (Shuttle & Sedan). Came with D15B4 dual carbie'd 1.5L. Always RT4WD.
    EF5: Flagship RT4WD model (Shuttle & Sedan). Came with SOHC ZC. Always RT4WD. Optional A.L.B and L.S.D
    EF6: Base model CRX. Came with D15B4 1.5L dual carbie. Always FWD.
    EF7: Most common model of CRX. Came with DOHC ZC. Always FWD. Optional A.L.B and L.S.D
    EF8: Flagship model CRX. Came with B16A. Always FWD. Optional A.L.B and L.S.D
    EF9: Flagship model Civic. Came with B16A. Always FWD. Optional A.L.B and L.S.D

From the quote above you can work out that an EF5 was not carburettored. The optional ALB and LSD on the EF5 are there for the INTRAC which is also EF5.

Happily stand corrected if evidence is produced.