5 speed swap needs to be refereed?!

I recently swapped to a manual 5 speed from automatic in my 91. I took it down to the smog shop and the guy tells me it needs to refereed for a manual trans now. Anyone hear of this? I'm in California home of "F@#%ED UP CAR REGULATIONS" Anyways I just wanted to pass the info on to all who are doing swaps and live in a emissions control heavy area. Something to think about it you play by the rules. Im NOT getting it refereed.

Comments

• 1.5 ef1.5 ef Band Wagon
    Never heard of this, sounds like you need to visit a different smog shop
  • What the hell does that even mean?
    In california if you swap an engine other than what your car came with, you have to get it approved by the state, if you get pulled over with a swap and you dont have a bar certified sticker showing that its approved by state you get a fine and i believe your car could get inpounded, and you will be required to take it to get certified
    I just never heard of auto to manual swaps having to be reffed, doesnt have nothing to do with emissions, could someone confirm this?
  • Man seriously? CA has sure gone and F'ed things up since I left!
  • I would take it to a different smog shop and not say anything about the transmission change. If they make an issue of it, then you may have to see the referee.
  • Yeah ditto. That's sort of like down here if you're needing to pass inspection. It definitely helps knowing Spanish, take it to them and they will sort you out. Well until they got wise and started linking all the damn inspection stations...