Safe to drive without the brake line brackets on front shocks?

I just installed my Yonaka coilovers. Dumb me though I did not use the OEM brake line brackets from the front shocks. Is it safe to drive without those?? Damn i wish these Yonaka coilovers came with thr brackets...its a bitch getting thoae brackets off the OEM shocks.

Comments

• Do you have pictures of what you mean? When I switched my shocks over I don't recall anything too difficult in the whole process.
  • Do you have pictures of what you mean? When I switched my shocks over I don't recall anything too difficult in the whole process.

Yea hear's a picture of what I am talking about. The OEM shocks have a bracket on theme to secure the brake line.

194.jpg
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Here in NZ you will not pass certification with them disconnected like that, the line can move and get ripped/torn/worn.

All you need is a 2mm thick piece of steel about 10cm long and 3cm wide. Put a hole in each end for the bolts, bend it into a U shape and connect the dots.

195.jpg
    Bottom right of this image are ones that come with the D2 coilover set.
  • Ah yeah I didn't do coil overs and mine had that mount right in the same spot. So do like Haydz said. You don't want to risk that breaking.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Nah dude you'll be fine. I've ridden literally thousands of miles without them hooked up with zero issues on over a few different Honda's. Now with that being said sure it's not the smartest thing but just throw a zip tie in the hole and snug them around the strut. you'll be okay.
  • Proper brackets would be best, but letting them flop around loose would not be wise at all.

If you have to use zip ties, try to make it so the brake lines are not rubbing on anything. Furthermore, you might consider using stainless steel zip ties vs plastic... and possibly use a few extras for extra piece of mind.
  • Thanks for the information guys!:)
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Chase wrote: »
    Nah dude you'll be fine. I've ridden literally thousands of miles without them hooked up with zero issues on over a few different Honda's. Now with that being said sure it's not the smartest thing but just throw a zip tie in the hole and snug them around the strut. you'll be okay.

Just because it worked for you, doesn't mean it will work for others. These are brake lines we are talking about.

You should not cable tie the lines. The clamps that hold the lines from factory are designed to minimise wear over time. It might take a heck of a lot more than a few thousand miles, but eventually given the right conditions they will wear or break.

Guys... don't risk your ass (or other peoples!) over a 30 minutes work or $12 at your local racing parts shop. It isn't worth it. Get them secured properly.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    All I am doing is giving my own person experience when I have been in this kind of situation. Sure they could possibly break or tear just under the right conditions but that can be said about literally any situation with any vehicle. Now Im not saying doing it "my way" is correct but I feel like it could get you by if need be, specially if the manufacture doesn't provide the correct brackets on their coilovers.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    Been using no brackets on my koni yellows for years with zip ties. I do wish i had the brackets though.
  • quarters wrote: »
    Been using no brackets on my koni yellows for years with zip ties. I do wish i had the brackets though.

You mad bastard. What's next wearing sunglasses at night?!
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    Cory heart i am not
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    Don't be a fool fab up some cheap sheet metal brackets at least thats what i did...( of course after almost losing my car completely )

I hadn't had a license for 2 years and I kinda got lazy with my car in that time.. i forgot I had somethings to tend to with the car before it was super sound and safe for road use, I too said fuck it and used zip ties for thousands of miles .

then Im going about 55 on a offramp and i go to hit the brakes and they grab for a second then it sinks straight to the floor ,
    a lady crossing the street saw me and thankfully we locked eyes and she saw me shaking my head no

i pull the ebrake up enough not to lock up and down shift from 4th to second and i slammed it into first to get it to stop if that lady didnt see me shaking my head i would have definitely hit her...
    moral of the story.. dont be a fool when it comes to brake components or suspension this is the shit that keeps you and everyone else safe .
  • klum wrote: »
    Don't be a fool fab up some cheap sheet metal brackets at least thats what i did...( of course after almost losing my car completely )

I hadn't had a license for 2 years and I kinda got lazy with my car in that time.. i forgot I had somethings to tend to with the car before it was super sound and safe for road use, I too said fuck it and used zip ties for thousands of miles .

then Im going about 55 on a offramp and i go to hit the brakes and they grab for a second then it sinks straight to the floor ,
    a lady crossing the street saw me and thankfully we locked eyes and she saw me shaking my head no

i pull the ebrake up enough not to lock up and down shift from 4th to second and i slammed it into first to get it to stop if that lady didnt see me shaking my head i would have definitely hit her...
    moral of the story.. dont be a fool when it comes to brake components or suspension this is the shit that keeps you and everyone else safe .

WOW! Glad everything turned out ok.

Did that incident happen because of brake line failure? Did the zip ties come loose?

I already secured my brake lines with metal zip ties, but now I am worried again. :nightmare:
  • I ran my brake lines with a ziptie on my del sol for about 5 years and never had an issue. And the wagon has a spot on the knuckle to bolt the brake line to.. Unfortunately my spoon calipers dont allow my line to reach that so im probably going to run SS lines that are a tad longer and figure out a way to bolt them to the knuckle