Broke down on road trip and need a new engine. Help!

Hey guys, I have an 88 rt4wd. My timing failed at 75mph and left me broken down on the interstate. I'm currently on a road trip from NC to NH for a family reunion. I had it towed to a mechanic and he showed me the crushed spark plugs, said the piston has a hole in it and tells me I need a new engine.

I always change the timing belt when I buy a new car but this one came with a receipt showing it was done 20k miles ago so I didn't do it. Figures... He said it could have been the cam wheel... What a shame because it only had 160k miles on it and ran perfectly.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do. He's willing to try and find a used engine from a local junk yard and instal it. I wouldn't mind putting something more powerful in but I won't be doing the work myself and this mechanic doesn't want to do anything that's not factory standard, so if I go that route I will need to find a different mechanic. I'm thinking about renting a car and staying with my parents in NH until I get it fixed.

Any suggestions on the best way to handle this situation would be appreciated. Advice on engine options, where to find one and if anyone knows a good mechanic near West Virgina who could help me would be awesome. Or even just a response to make me feel better would be nice.

There goes my vacation. I haven't been able to go on a road trip for many years and was so looking forward to this. Now I'm sitting in a prostitute infested motel in high-crime Martinsburg, WV and lamenting the death of my dream car. Haha. Not gonna let it get me down. I'm sure to get a good story out of this (and lose much money).

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your engine failure. My two cents without knowing your mechanical capabilities and the area....get a motor that will fit and get you back on the road and home. It'll be cheaper & quicker and you can do some planning and add what you want later. Like I said, just my two cents not knowing much else about your situation. Good luck!
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I have some skills but I've never replaced an engine. I'm confident I could do it but I would rather just pay to have it done as my time limited with other projects at the moment. I have 3 cars I need to sell and a school bus I'm renovating and want to move out of my house asap. Planning an extended road trip and want to flat tow my rt4wd behind the bus. This just happened and I have the rest of the evening to consider my options.
  • arries289arries289 Wagonist
    Man that really sucks..Sounds like they may not of tensioned the belt properly or the tensioner failed. If you can find another engine locally and you feel the mechanic is competent enough, I would probably go ahead and have it replaced while you are there. Otherwise, you could have the car shipped back to your house and get a rental. Either way the dollars spent suck as well...
  • Yeah, sucksville all the way... Trying to find out right now what engines will go in without any modifications.
  • Not sure if this is still around or if he'd part with just the motor but it's a D16a6 which should be what you need http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/5081376118.html

Also this guys posting, lots of stuff listed, might have the hookup for you http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/5121851366.html

Who knows. Worth a shot though.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    I wish i had brought up any of my motors with me. if you end up needing something weird ill check for a spare.
  • 1.5 ef1.5 ef Band Wagon
    Prostitutes are always a plus, lol jk man, I would just rent a truck and a car dolly to get it back home then deal with the motor issue later, last thing you want is another engine failure cause it was done in a hurry, I know here in cali you could go to a uhaul place and rent a truck and car hauler combo, I'm sure there's something similar around that area.
  • Yeah, I considered that and every other conceivable options. Ended up getting it shipped back home and got a rental to drive up to NH... I'll deal with it when I get home from the family reunion.

I rented a nearly new civic. Not sure what year it is but not more than a couple years old. Makes me love my 88 rt4wd even more. The new one has very poor visability, the seats are uncomfortable and the dash is ridiculous. Poor design all around imo. They just don't make em like they use to... Civic Wagon 4wd it the best car ever for many reasons. Difficult to be satisfied with anything else I find. Lol.