Helical LSD in RT4WD trans?

Some of you may have viewed my build thread ( https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?18922-My-EE4-amp-Quest-for-Positive-Manifold-Pressure ) and I was thinking about posting this question there, but I figured it was more appropriate to have its own thread -- considering the broad spectrum of members to whom this question may pertain.

While rebuilding a RT4WD transmission, I got wondering how feasible it would be to have a helical LSD installed. I have a Quaife for (40mm) D-Series trannys and there are two main differences that I can obviously see. The first is the location of the final drive ring gear face. The second is the number of mounting holes used to secure the final drive ring gear to the differential itself. The overall length is the same; as is the O.D..

I work in an aerospace machine shop and have the necessary equipment (and ability) to precisely measure critical dimensions, interpret the data and fabricate a custom differential case/housing half.

Without getting into a debate regarding the cost and time to fabricate, my question is: Would having a helical ATB (Auto Torque Biasing) differential in the RT4WD transmission cause any problems? I'm trying to wrap my head around how the Viscous Coupler would work in tandem with a LSD -- given how the VC locks/engages during front wheel spin. Am I correct in thinking it would still be beneficial because BOTH front wheels would have to 'break loose' before the VC would lock/engage?

Now let's assume I was able to effectively fabricate and install this LSD in a RT4WD transmission... Would it still be beneficial to have an LSD in the rear differential as well?

My goal HP level is rather high and unlike many high-HP builds, I plan on putting forth a lot of effort into getting that power to the ground and making it USABLE. I will be running a QSV (Quick Spool Valve) and a non-PWM, quad-stage boost-by-gear setup (switches on/in shifter assembly in console). IMO, there's way too many "Dyno Queens" that can't break out of the 12s due to massive wheel spin.

Any input?

Comments

• LowFlyin'LowFlyin' Moderator
    The VC works based on delta wheel speed between the front and rear axles. Changing how the front axle puts down power shouldn't affect the VC transferring power to the rear, other than it may delay the engagement of the VC due to the front axle having increased traction.

If I had to choose one axle to receive a LSD I would make my choice as follows:
    with substantially more power than stock, I would elect to have a LSD in the rear opposed to the front
    in a stock-to-mild power build, I would elect to have the LSD in the front rather than the rear

I don't see an issue with having a LSD at both ends, as there is no reason having power to both outside wheels is a bad thing.
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Would be good to know! Im worried about keeping the power on the road with my time attack 4wd shuttle :/