jeffs 55 chevy

in february of 2014 i bought my dream car a 1955 chevy 2 door post. i always wanted one like the car in american grafitti. i saw this one on craigslist for $4500 but didnt have the money, about a month later it was $2800, i called about it and the guy said it was sold. about another month goes by and its online for $2000, so i called and he said a guy left a deposit and never picked it up, so i went to look at it and bought it for $1500. the amount of extra parts i got with the car (new and old) are worth it. and i figured the only way id be able to afford a 55 chevy was one that needed floor work and no motor and tranny, this way i could spread out costs over a few years if need be. my plans for the car is a gloss black, 4 speed, either 327 small block or big block chevy, i dont think i will radius the wheelwells like the movie car, and no straight axle. lowered a little and no chrome trim on the side.
139.jpg
140.jpg
141.jpg

142.jpg
143.jpg

i havent done much to it yet. just stocking up spare parts, fenders, quarter patches, etc. it came with brand new doors but no door inner workings other than windows. so ive been hitting up swap meets for some parts.

Comments

• RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    Nice project! My dad had a '55 210 up until a few years ago. 400sb, turbo 350 trans, all wheel disc, tilt wheel, and power steering! They're awesome cars!

158.jpg
  • jb2wheelsjb2wheels Wagonist
    Nice!

My dad's doing a frame-off on the 2dr HT 55 Bel Air. I wish I lived closer (CA vs TX) and could work in it more.
    2 interesting facts about it:
    - was the same car his best friend owned in the 60s and they cruised in together a lot
    - under the gross purple paint and the cheap white repaint we found the original colors - actually under the trim that had never been removed. It was a unique Turquoise over White instead of the more common other way around. Hard to even find a picture of one.

Have fun - one of the best looking cars ever!
  • civtec350civtec350 Wagonist
    jb2wheels wrote: »
    Nice!

My dad's doing a frame-off on the 2dr HT 55 Bel Air. I wish I lived closer (CA vs TX) and could work in it more.
    2 interesting facts about it:
    - was the same car his best friend owned in the 60s and they cruised in together a lot
    - under the gross purple paint and the cheap white repaint we found the original colors - actually under the trim that had never been removed. It was a unique Turquoise over White instead of the more common other way around. Hard to even find a picture of one.

Have fun - one of the best looking cars ever!

thats cool. did he know it was the same car when he got it?
    Revmaynard wrote: »
    Nice project! My dad had a '55 210 up until a few years ago. 400sb, turbo 350 trans, all wheel disc, tilt wheel, and power steering! They're awesome cars!

/QUOTE]

thats the look im going for, gloss black, no chrome trim on the side, just clean. thats a nice car he had.
  • jb2wheelsjb2wheels Wagonist
    civtec350 wrote: »
    thats cool. did he know it was the same car when he got it?

Yes. Cancer got dad's best friend in the early 80s but we kept in touch with the widow and family because they all grew up together. Fast forward almost 30 years and she was ready to part with it and dad had first shot at it.

Aside from the cancer (F*** cancer), it's a pretty cool story. I have some pictures of the 55 (when it was all white and before the purple) along with the red/white 56 my dad had and the 56 or 57 Vette one of their girlfirends had all out at the Salton Sea in the 60s when it was still THE place to water ski.
    thats good that he got it and is keeping it going.