Advice needed! DOHC ZC or B16A or.....?

wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
Hey wagon brethren (and sisters).. my wagon currently sits without an engine, and I am contemplating which one to put in it.

Currently looking at two options, both of which I have wanted since like 2005 lol

-DOHC ZC

-B16A

Most likely both OBD-0.

I have never driven a ZC powered car so I have no experience there, however I have owned a B16A powered DA before which was fun.

Really right now it comes down to numbers, whether the extra $1200 or so to do a B16A swap is worth it in the short term/long term.

Or perhaps some other options? Not really looking for forced induction but willing to consider it in the distant future... Also I'd rather stay away from OBD-1/2 conversions, but again, willing to consider it.

Thoughts? Concerns? Comments?
:encouragement:

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Why do you want to stay away from the OBD1 conversion? You're already MPFI aren't you?
    B16A, boomslang harness, mount kit, whack rail, do work.

Get to it!
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    What Haydz said. If you are 2WD, get away from D series. Nothing against them, but the B series market is was better and capable. And I hated my ZC, so I am a bit biased.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    B16 all day every day.

I've tried both and wouldn't hesitate at going B16 over ZC.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Corinthians 13:11 :P
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    B. B20. You don't drive way up in the revs anyway, and that's where the B16 makes a little power.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Haydz wrote: »
    Why do you want to stay away from the OBD1 conversion? You're already MPFI aren't you?
    B16A, boomslang harness, mount kit, whack rail, do work.

Get to it!

Cost. Obd-1 B16s seem to be a solid $600-800 more or so.

Thats pretty much the only reason lol.

Looks to me the consensus is to stay away from the ZC haha

Bam, I like to rev high! At least with my poor wagon i do...

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming!
  • t9wagont9wagon New Wagonist
    Having a dual cam d series is badass IMO. Not very appreciable outside of the honda community though. ZC gear ratios and boost make a good combo. I would go for it if you want boost.

If you go b stay NA. I like turbos but b series like revs and have aftermarket for NA applications. NA feels yo
    wagodizzle wrote: »
    Cost. Obd-1 B16s seem to be a solid $600-800 more or so.

Thats pretty much the only reason lol.

Looks to me the consensus is to stay away from the ZC haha

Bam, I like to rev high! At least with my poor wagon i do...

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming!

If you are worried about price of a swap, and want to go B series, lmk. I have a full OBD1 B16 swap swap coming in for helping a guy with his GSR swap I would sell way cheap to move it out so I don't buy another car and put it in it lol.

t9wagon wrote: »
    Having a dual cam d series is badass IMO. Not very appreciable outside of the honda community though. ZC gear ratios and boost make a good combo. I would go for it if you want boost.

If you go b stay NA. I like turbos but b series like revs and have aftermarket for NA applications. NA feels yo

Why not just go B AND boost? Substantially more aftermarket support and more potential...Like I previously said, my ZC blew and I was not impressed with it at all. I would go B if I could, but I am not willing to spend the money for that AWD swap when it is my DD and I already have an H2B hatch lol.
  • LowFlyin'LowFlyin' Moderator
    I'll sell you the complete B16B swap out of my CRX. :D

You said you like to rev, is 9200rpm high enough?
    bkmc24 wrote: »
    If you are worried about price of a swap, and want to go B series, lmk. I have a full OBD1 B16 swap swap coming in for helping a guy with his GSR swap I would sell way cheap to move it out so I don't buy another car and put it in it lol

Oh yeah? How cheap? ;) PM me details!
    LowFlyin' wrote: »
    I'll sell you the complete B16B swap out of my CRX. :D

You said you like to rev, is 9200rpm high enough?

How much man?
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Hell yeah, make it happen, drive on up there. We could have a minimeet
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    f22 turbo is my idea for a 2wd wagon when i get one again - do that!
    bullet proof blocks + cheap replacements if need parts
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Haydz, Bam, and others are right. B SERIES! Im a true believer in not being in a rush to just buy something to stick under the hood. Take advantage of what Bseries you come across once you start looking. Upgrading to obd1 is not that challenging especially if you know exactly what your gonna need to do. I learned on the fly but took months of prep and research before doing. Look in my thread of step by step how to if you need a reference. Just running a bseries as is, will be night and day difference than stock wagon dseries. You can always ad some boost later. Good Luck!
    I am the same believer lol, definitely not rushing! You guys have pretty much convinced me of going B-series, been shopping around right now for vendors. If you guys know of any good ones, let me know!

Thanks again.
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Def not accusing you of being in a rush. Not sure on any dealers. Obviously, buy from someone you know or referred by someone trustworthy (again, stating the obvious) someone like low flying or bkmc24 would fall into that category if you could get it shipped or picked up for a reasonable price. An honest credible seller is worth a little extra $ and work in my opinion.
  • LowFlyin'LowFlyin' Moderator
    If www.inlinefour.com is still the same guys from way back when, I've bought a couple of swaps from them over the years.
  • usdm420usdm420 Band Wagon
    Cannot beat HMotorsonline for swaps.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I went to a pick-a-part and got a complete B18C swap. Always good to keep an eye out for that kind of deal if you will be rebuilding it/freshening it up.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    LowFlyin' wrote: »
    If www.inlinefour.com is still the same guys from way back when, I've bought a couple of swaps from them over the years.

thanks for posting that i forgot all about these guys! and yeah USDM420 is right Hmotors might be kinda costy but they're really professional and customer service is really good too
    HAYDZ :
    Man idk where auckland is but no where in america will you find a b18c at any pick and pull or pick a part self service salvage yard i envy your country's salvage yards.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    klum wrote: »
    HAYDZ :
    Man idk where auckland is but no where in america will you find a b18c at any pick and pull or pick a part self service salvage yard i envy your country's salvage yards.

To be fair, I got there before the place opened and I had at least ten people walk over and say they came for what I scored. It's still always a good idea to keep an eye out to see what you can score. If you don't try, you don't succeed. I got the lot for $550 NZD - ready to drop in, loom, ecu, axles, everything.
    I check the scrap yards somewhat frequently and I have never EVER come across anything even remotely close to that lol

Plenty of B20s from CR-Vs of course, but all with at least 200,000 - 300,000+ miles on them, and I am not one to rebuild an engine.
    Anyone have any experience with JDMsource.ca? I have heard some good reviews about them and pricing seems fair. Got quoted $2150 for a compelte B16A with trans and ECU shipped to my door...

HMotors wanted $2400
    Hmotors
    tigerjapanese
    japandomesticmotor
    inlinefour
    all decent companies. Hmotors I have heard is usually the best, but I'll have another review from tigerjapanese soon, as my buddy ordered a GSR from them and it'll be here tomorrow.
  • usdm420usdm420 Band Wagon
    You get what you pay for in terms of HMotors. They back their engines 100%. I've seen guys drop a motor in and have an issue with it, and HMotors replaced it no questions asked. That, and every motor I've seen come from them is in damn near mint condition.
    I've heard terrible things about tiger and japan domestic motors. Hmotors def the best, but again its also $300 more than anywhere else. maybe worth it?
    Japan Domestic sent my brother an SR20 with a mines ECU and didn't want it back or charge more. Motor was great. Could have been luck of the draw though.
    Found a company in Orlando called JDM of Florida, sold me a full B16A swap with trans and ECU for $1885 shipped. not a bad price, plus they had actual pictures of it online and a compression test video. Just arrived today, can't wait to tear into it!
    Goodness thats cheap! Let us know how it turns out!
  • If its 2wd go for a b series, 4wd go for zc or y1/y6