I am so close to being done but I'm faced with defeat.

So I have finally got my wagon swapped from the stock d15 to a d16y7 with stick trany,
so im buttoning everything up and i notice that my driver side axle won't insert all the way in to the trany
I screw around with it for a bit and figure out <the motor sits a little to the right so now the driver side axle is too long
and won't allow the driver side hub to get completely put back

so now iIam faced with taking it to my local shop (which i don't want to do) because they screw me over on labor but i have no idea how to handle this?

Comments

• KingofathfKingofathf Band Wagon
    I'm new to wagons but have you tried to get a measurement of how much bigger it is and how long your current one is and going to a parts to to get the size you think is right? PS make sure the return policy is awesome
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    I had a D16Y7 engine in mine and everything lined up fine. Did you use stock motor mounts?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Don't suppose you did an auto to manual conversion and forgot to change the mounts?
  • 757rejects757rejects Band Wagon
    yes i used the motor mounts i already had
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    That is the reason. Nothing is sitting correctly. You need to swap the left (gearbox side) mount and the rear mount.
    Swap it with the 96 mounts?
  • PoozMcgueePoozMcguee New Wagonist
    Just did an Auto to Manual swap this week. and just installed axles half an hour ago, I used manual mounts for the 3 on the transmission. The rear one i got the fork that holds the shift linkages etc but kept the auto rubber mount, but had to move it about an inch left to the bolt holes that would hold in the manual mount. If you're standing at you're radiator, the rear mount is in the left holes for manual n right holes for auto. (at back down on the crossmember with the steering.) Might just need moving as it should run equal length axels with the intermediate shaft. (worth checking, might not be the problem) This guy shows it in his video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-dCc6YDwk8
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    One of bams threads has the full FWD process, it's a little different to the 4WD auto-manual swap but PoozMcguee is right about the rear mount I believe.
    In addition to having to use manual mounts on the passenger side and rear, you will also need to use your original mounts AND brackets on the driver's side (i want to say these are the same auto or manual). I have notice some people do not change out the driver's side mount bracket that connects to the block and run into issues, you need to use the original on that. Ultimately there will still be a tiny bit of "flex" as isnt going to line up 100% but this will get you to 99%. I had it like this for about 4 years no problems. i dunno if anything i just said made sense, but it does in my head... ;)
    im confused on what i need to swap in sorry.

this is my current set up
    08E19H
    On this mount, did you use the D15 bracket that bolts to the block?
  • t9wagont9wagon New Wagonist
    Passenger side mount doesnt look fully bolted up. That wiring is scary clean it up when the car runs
    yes I cut through the dust shield and mounted the d15 mounts

the passenger mount dosnt want to line up what mounts should i get to fix this.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    You need manual transmission mounts from a FWD on the gearbox side mount and the gearbox rear mount. The gearbox side mount also needs to be raised. Like I have already said - one of Bams build threads shows the process.
    "The wagon is a 5spd I put the wagon trans on my d16 from an automatic hatch i used the old wagon mounts"

so let me get theis straight i need fwd gear box mounts and could you link the thread you are referring too i couldnt find it
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I'll try to help but I'm a bit confused. There's a lot of confusing talk about auto to manual conversion here. Was the wagon already 5 speed? Sounds that way to me.

Take a close look at that long cv axle. Make sure you haven't pulled one of the joints apart. It happens sometimes. Also make sure it's going all the way into the transmission. I think we've turned an axle question into a mount discussion.
    Ok so the wagon came as a 5spd with the d15b2 in it so I yanked the d15 out threw my d16 in which had an automatic trans on so I used the d15 trans that came with it and put that trans on my d16
    now i put the ,otor in mounted it up and now the driver side axle is too long it wont sit corectly in the trans which makes it so i cant put the driverside hub back together because its poking out?

idk if its a trans,axle or mount problem?
    '
    All axle. Like I said, check the joints to see if you've separated one, check the snap ring on the trans end of the axle.
    ok so my axle looks like it has seen better days so its a safe bet to just get a new wagon axle?
  • Yes please
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I'm earning myself a headache re-reading this thread.
    Update? Having gotten involved, I'm curious as to what you found.

I'm currently doing the same swap (JDM d15, same for these purposes) on brother's wagon.
    axle comes in this week ill keep ya posted