Trying my first thread 90 rt4wd

Hello all! I am pretty new to the forum thing so I'm going to see how this goes. A little about me I'm Jeff and I love the anything 88-91 civic my first love was a 91 si I sold then got into a 4 door ex then sold that now I have this my dream car the 90 civic wagon rt4wd. I'm not the best mechanic I'm actually very new to working on cars but the wagon makes me want to bring her back to the day she rolled off the lot. So here she is when I went to look at her. She has 250k miles on her and drives like a dream! Drove her from salem to Portland with no problems at all!

367.jpg

366.jpg

368.jpg

After I got her how I washed her up and got the turn signals in!
370.jpg

369.jpg

371.jpg

Towing a blown subi! She is my new work horse
373.jpg

372.jpg
Got the gsr blades on for now until I can repaint the oem rt barrels
374.jpg

So my plans are getting the rust sanded down and taken care of get new tags and see how well this so called rt4wd system really works. I've been in some mud but nothing soft or deep. I wanna rebuild the motor myself but I don't know if I have the know how to do the job all the way. I also would like to get some jdm/edm parts when I get some more money I'm broke at the moment so yeah there she sits while I get parts for her

P.S Sorry for the shitty cell phone pictures that's all I have for a camera

Comments

• TrevorwadeTrevorwade Band Wagon
    Hello, love the car. Noticed you have a cracked tail light. There are two wagons here in Spokane parts yards. If you need me to snag one I'll be more than happy to. Maybe I can find other parts you may need as well.
  • I'm in SE if you need to know how to take anything apart I can show you.
  • jeffgarrettjeffgarrett Band Wagon
    Thanks guys. I'm just going to rock the broken tail light until I see fit to change it as I need money for other things but thank you. 503-HIll-Billy I might take you up on that offer sometime! There's a lot that needs to get done and I don't know how to do it all lol so thank you! :)

For for the interior of the wagon!
    29.jpg

Check engine light is on because I changed the tps :(
    30.jpg

So drove her down to my friends shop and he helped me calibrate this bad mama 31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

And boom!!!! She is back to herself and I must say I kinda feel a better response from the throttle maybe just because I'm so exited tho lol

34.jpg

One last picture of me and my dog bella! I love her!
    35.jpg
    And my other love approved of my side girl :) we have three ways ;) lol j/k

36.jpg
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    the wheels look really good on it!
    Little bit of good news today! :)

2.jpeg

I'm going to really try to start doing more with the wagon soon I feel I have been slacking
    Haven't really done much but here are some gopro pictures of her :)

125.jpg 126.jpg 127.jpg
  • jongsrjongsr Wagonist
    Where'd you buy it from? Like an 88-91 civic junkyard? Or someone else who was an EF hoarder also. I noticed all the civics in the background of your first few pics.
  • MrJayDMMrJayDM Wagonist
    I don't miss emissions testing!! The Commonwealth of Kentucky stopped emissions testing over 15 years ago!!
    Less than 1% of the cars on the road failed, so we demand to stop it!!

By the way I see you have new rims, would you like to sell your RT center caps???
    $150.00 for all 4..
    ONE HUNDRED & FIFTY DOLLARS Will buy you a few new parts!!
    Jongsr yeah it was called efparts.

MrJayDM. I know emissions sucks I just moved back to the city and I didn't have to worry about it before. She passed tho so I'm not even mad. Sorry no on the caps I have some other plans for this. :)

173.jpg

And I did a armrest mod! :) :) :) it's from a 90-93 accord a million times better then before!!
    175.jpg
    Got the rims painted! Some pictures of my brothers 4 door ex and the rt4wd. now need to get the center caps painted and back on and she will be looking cute! Oh almost forgot that I got a new tail light that's not cracked and broken! :)

357.jpg 358.jpg 359.jpg 360.jpg
  • MrJayDMMrJayDM Wagonist
    Your rims and simi-caps look awesome!!
    I found a set of simi-caps that are in mint shape!!
    I paid $170 including shipping for them.. I feel I got a raped on the shipping but, in the long run it will be worth it!!
    Getting married soon so I haven't had time to work on her my but I have been daily driving her and she drives like a dream at 250k miles. Here is a pic after I shampooed the whole are well besides the back/trunk. 448.jpg 449.jpg 450.jpg
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    Haha, nice cargo cover.

Lookin good overall though, especially that interior.
    Thanks JHMEE4 for the good words it's much appreciated!

I HATE WORKING FROM HOME! I'm a live in caregiver so I don't get to drive daily :( but on the weekends I'm going to be driving it all around! I hope to be camping in her this weekend :)

And a little wagon Wednesday shots :)

460.jpg

So I was looking around and I noticed this... Seams legit to me hahha

461.jpg

462.jpg

463.jpg

464.jpg

465.jpg

Can I fill up my a/t fluid from here?
    466.jpg

467.jpg

468.jpg

469.jpg
    11.png 2.jpeg
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Getting a lot of great work done , keep it up .And the transmission dipstick is the only place to add fluid . Check the manual for the level check procedure , a lot of cars have different ways to do it . And get your fluid from a honda dealer (or at least ask a dealer what type you should use ) .
    So did a little more sanding and painting it wasn't bad at all just time consuming spent more time sanding after this sorry for lack of pictures!

239.jpg

You can kinda see it there on the left of the wheel. Sorry it's the only picture I have but saving her one rust spot at a time :) oh and the right way!

240.jpg
    Oh forgot to mention that I took the wagon all around for the weekend! but forgetful me didn't get any good pictures but that's OK it happens. The 4 speed auto is very weak compared to the 5 speed but it's alright there were 3 fat guys my girlfriend and the dogs. So she didn't do bad not as good as other efs with a6 5 speed well here's a couple pictures kinda

We went hiking
    241.jpg

More hiking
    242.jpg

Still can't decide so I keep changing back and forth I really really appreciate both oem rim look
    243.jpg

244.jpg
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    this thread appears to be headed in the right direction! I love a cleaning up of a wagon vs gangster-izing of one.
  • DP_RT4WDDP_RT4WD New Wagonist
    Kool dude! You have an *almost* twin brother here on the board -- and that would be my '91 RT4WD.

The ONLY suggestion that I have is to return your OEM wheels to the original color scheme -- where the vent holes are outlined in BLACK!!!

It goes without saying that obviously, it's your car & your project, but IMHO, it looks soooooo much better than just full white.

For demonstrative purposes, here's my '91 RT4WD with the vent holes outlined in BLACK...

Anyone else have any input???

Black-outlined vent holes (which is the stock OEM configuration shown on the vehicle below)
    OR
    Fresh perspective and all-white painted wheel (shown on the vehicle above)

I'd like to hear others' thoughts...

344.jpg
    DP_RT4WD wrote: »
    Kool dude! You have an *almost* twin brother here on the board -- and that would be my '91 RT4WD.

The ONLY suggestion that I have is to return your OEM wheels to the original color scheme -- where the vent holes are outlined in BLACK!!!

It goes without saying that obviously, it's your car & your project, but IMHO, it looks soooooo much better than just full white.

For demonstrative purposes, here's my '91 RT4WD with the vent holes outlined in BLACK...

Anyone else have any input???

Black-outlined vent holes (which is the stock OEM configuration shown on the vehicle below)
    OR
    Fresh perspective and all-white painted wheel (shown on the vehicle above)

I'd like to hear others' thoughts...

344.jpg

Yeah DP I see what you saying and I can appreciate the oem aspect of it but in my opinion it looks better and clean with it painted all white. With that said HAPPY EARLY WAGON WEDNESDAY!!!!

343.jpg 342.jpg 341.jpg 345.jpg 346.jpg 347.jpg 348.jpg

P.s I can't wait to use the tow hitch!
  • DP_RT4WDDP_RT4WD New Wagonist
    Yeah DP I see what you saying and I can appreciate the oem aspect of it but in my opinion it looks better and clean with it painted all white. With that said HAPPY EARLY WAGON WEDNESDAY!!!!

Awesome man... Keep up the great work & good luck with everything.
    So I took a picture with my buddys wagon it's a 85 or 86 I think 240dl all stock. Then went to find some mud. Didn't find much but some is better then none!
    38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    Nice, my original wagon is still at my rental house. It's a volvo as well. 1973 145, not mine below but same color. I do love my wagons. Looks like you have some excessive wear on the inside of the front wheels. Some camber adjustments needed?

41.jpg
    @greenteagod yes there is a lot of camber wear on the blades I pulled them off my old integra that had a little camber on it. I have them just until I can get some new tires on the other rt steelie it popped the other day.

But with that I NEED TO FIND MORE MUD! It was a blast playing in the mud! Not a lot but it works :) hehe
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Your front left tire is backwards :)
  • MrWhoopeeMrWhoopee Wagonist
    @greenteagod yes there is a lot of camber wear on the blades I pulled them off my old integra that had a little camber on it. I have them just until I can get some new tires on the other rt steelie it popped the other day.

But with that I NEED TO FIND MORE MUD! It was a blast playing in the mud! Not a lot but it works :) hehe

Ummmm..... you're not running mismatched tires with the RWD engaged are you? Can be VERY BAD for the viscous coupler. Ask me how I know.
    @mrwhoopee No I got a flat in the other tire mudding so I put that on just for now. I'm not driving it and I disengaged the 4wd I think. I moved the 4wd lever so it shouldn't be a problem i dont think but thank you and yes I would like to know how you know