Looking at purchasing a basket

I have a factory roof rack and looking into purchasing a basket..
I have no idea what type or brand I should get..
or even if it will mount to the factory rack..
Also will it cause the roof to buckle???

Anyone have any advise??
Thanks!!

Comments

• Find one the size you want for the price you want to pay with the fitments to go on your rails, purchase it.....done?

As you will have seen on here there are many many many wagons with roof baskets that have no issues
  • If you know anyone who can do fab work, you might even consider paying for a custom one if the budget allows. That's what I'll be doing for myself, and building mounting tabs that go into the factory rails.

Just like NZ said though it all depends on what size and what price you're willing to pay.

Some people pay to have the yakima name on it, some people don't care about the brand.

Do you want something you can mount lights to in the future, or is that not a concern. It's definitely a large matter of personal preference on these things, but I've not seen one buckle a roof. I've also not seen someone try to haul half a ton of crap in a roof basket either, so I'm sure there's probably a first for everything.
  • If you know anyone who can do fab work, you might even consider paying for a custom one if the budget allows. That's what I'll be doing for myself, and building mounting tabs that go into the factory rails.
    I'm not the type that cares about the yakima "brand name".
    I think this is what I'll do, maybe even have the rack and basket (all in one)custom made..
    Thanks!!
  • If you have the factory roof rack installed. I believe the rails screw in to that. There are probably some square nuts down in the tracks. Those were going to be what I use to get the basket mounted. Just run some tabs and have a knob with some thread on it to engage the nuts that are already there. That will save me a ton of headache in the fabbing. Just gotta get the width correct, which shouldn't be too difficult with some careful measuring.
  • WagoncartWagoncart Band Wagon
    Shopping carts do there job perfect.
  • And their job. I'd always envisioned getting two baskets and cutting two sides off and welding them together in the middle for an ultra wide basket. But I'm building one to haul canoes the carts would be way too massively tall for that stuff. And I'm not a fan of stealing things like that anyway. Though some do make it well beyond the local stores courtesy the bums.
  • WagoncartWagoncart Band Wagon
    I was thinking about cutting it evenly about half way down. And it was givin to me so I was okay with it haha. Rednecks seem to have visions with the shopping cart. (Riding down the road in them?) don't make sense to me but I ended up with it. So cut the bottom of and used it for engine swaps to move the engines around. And the top part for my wagon.
  • MrJayDMMrJayDM Wagonist
    dirtydirty wrote: »
    Thanks The basket looks nice!!
    I tired looking in your past post to see if you had a picture posted and didn't find any.
    Do you mind posting some pictures of it on your wagon!!

No thanks on the shopping cart, do they still have metal shopping carts anyway!!
    Target = Plastic
    Walmart = Plastic
    Kroger = Plastic
    Home Depot = Plastic
    Lowes = Plastic
    Hmmm..... I cant remember the last time I saw a metal shopping cart

Also on most of them when you go outside of the parking lot the back wheels lock...
  • MLT2WDMLT2WD Band Wagon
    what about if my shuttle doesn't have hard-points for a rack/ box?
  • Make some. Pop the headliner off and start seeing where they can go.