brake engages late

This is so true. I used my stock MC on my 96 civic CX with ITR 5-lug brakes. Brakes didn't engage till super low to the floor.

There is also such a thing as running to large of a MC. Putting a 1'' MC on a stock car is gonna suck!

Bringing this up so I don't make new thread, my brakes engages after 1/3 of the pedal is pressed. Basically the first 1/3 of my brake pedal is not engaging. Any help? I just recently changed the booster( old booster was leaking air), new calipers and pads and bleed all for tires. I went to a shop and they did all that.

i feel like the breaks should engage when I immidiately press the brake pedal but instead about an inch or two inch of freeplay.

Comments

• What size MC are you running? The larger the MC the less travel, but yeah an inch or two with doing nothing does mean something is out of whack there. I guess that could depend on how much breaking force you want after that inch or so of travel.

I'd jack the car up and have someone spin the wheels and then gently apply the brakes to see when they do actually engage. That would give you a little more idea when it's actually braking to see how far out of adjustment they are.
  • sayurasemsayurasem New Wagonist
    What size MC are you running? The larger the MC the less travel, but yeah an inch or two with doing nothing does mean something is out of whack there. I guess that could depend on how much breaking force you want after that inch or so of travel.

I'd jack the car up and have someone spin the wheels and then gently apply the brakes to see when they do actually engage. That would give you a little more idea when it's actually braking to see how far out of adjustment they are.

Is there anyway to measure the master cylinder? Sorry I'm very new to the car world and still learning everyday. I'm done with that shop, is there a way to adjust it my self?

I did several brake testing on the road today and the break does work good, but I just have to stomp on the break all the way in.

is it because of the new calipers? Maybe the caliper's piston need to get lubed or break in? The old caliper piston was leaking (oring around the piston ripped and leak fluid). Or I feel like there is not enough vacuum to help the brake. Ps brake pedal feels normal, not too soft not too hard to press.
  • No worries, it's actually quite simple to tell. Just look at the side of the cylinder itself. There should be a number there. Mine is an upgraded 15/16 less travel, stiffer pedal. Yours might say 7/8 not sure if they did smaller than that on these or not. But the lower the value the longer the travel is before you start getting a really firm pedal feel.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Separated from the original thread - which was about what upgrades to master cylinders. Not troubleshooting an issue.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    There's an adjustment where the booster clevis is pinned to the brake pedal arm. Loosen the jam nut and lengthen that pushrod. Leave a little free travel so that your brakes don't drag.

That travel is before you actually contact and start moving the master cylinder piston. You should be able to feel the difference when you actually start moving fluid.
    ...continued: if you have excessive travel after the free travel, adjust the rear brake shoes. Another indication of rear brake misadjustment is a slack parking brake.
  • There is also the push rod inside the brake booster than can be adjusted. It can be adjusted with out the special tool and feeler gauges but it takes a bit of fiddling to get right.

I am running the 15/16" master with the push rod adjusted to 0.5mm of a gap and the clevis inside the car adjusted to nearly zero play. I still end up with a bit of take up. I think that is just the nature of having drums.

We will see if things improve as the new brake shoes in the rear bed in and take shape and I continue to chase them with the adjusters.

Uggg brake feel alone would be worth the hassle of getting discs in the rear. I like my brake pedal to be RIGHT there! Making the wagon feel like my EG with the 1" master, nsx calipers and legend GS rotors up front, integra type r setup in the rear, stainless lines, everything adjusted to zero is going to be a tall order.
  • bam-bam wrote: »
    ...continued: if you have excessive travel after the free travel, adjust the rear brake shoes. Another indication of rear brake misadjustment is a slack parking brake.

x2 Any time my Hondas the wagon and previously an 87 Accord) has spongy brakes, it's time to adjust the rear drums. I don't know why, but my Honda's never seem to self adjust.
  • I don't miss those damn drums! :)
  • Yeah yeah, you take your new fangled tech out of here! Mine are going all clackity clack and I just did them about 4000 miles ago.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    The rear shoes thing could certainly be the problem.
    While driving, try applying the brakes with the ebrake pulled up a few clicks. If the brake pedal feels better, that's your problem.
    quarters wrote: »
    While driving, try applying the brakes with the ebrake pulled up a few clicks. If the brake pedal feels better, that's your problem.

I'll try this today, if the brake engages better should I be driving with ebrake on few clicks?
  • No that means it is time to get dirty and adjust the rear brakes. There is a dust cap on the top side of the backing plate that gives you access to a ratcheting mechanism to move the shoes closer to the drum.

The E-brake acts on the bottom of the shoes while the slave cylinder and adjusters act on the top of the shoes. They will wear the shoes differently making the slack worse.
  • quarters wrote: »

That is a nice tip.
    Alright so I went to the same shop where I got my brake booster done. He drove my car and did high speed and slow speed braking. Then he said I need a bigger master cylinder and stronger brake booster. What do you guys think?

He said I need bigger master cylinder because it would move bigger volume of brake fluid to the brakes. And new booster to help push it.

I have a rev hang when I switch gear is it because the booster? I checked for vacuum leak and can't find any.
  • Disconnect the booster entirely and plug the line, see what happens, that should tell you something at least as far as any revs hanging, or at least indicate whether or not the booster has a problem. What size M/C are you running anyway, I don't think you ever said.

Based on what the mechanic is saying though, to me it just sounds like he's giving opinion, not specifically indicating what's wrong with the car. The stock unit isn't going to cause the problems given here. There will be more pedal play in a 7/8 vs a 15/16 before it firms up, but based on what you've described it sounds like something else may be amis.

Back to the booster itself, I don't know that a larger booster is needed to help push it. There are several people who run without the booster entirely so that's just a matter of preference for how much assist you want. I can't recall off the top of my head if going to a 15/16 master cylinder requires a matching booster, I don't think so, but I could be wrong there.
    Oh yeah the master cylinder is 13/16
  • Well if you're looking to do upgrades I would say a 15/16 is a good start. Another thing to ask, if you take it up to speed and slam on the brakes, does it lock the wheels? If it does to me it sounds like you have adequate pressure, it's just not coming on as soon as you'd like. But yeah, I'd recommend 15/16 upgrade regardless, it's a good start.
    I did a high speed brake and the wheel won't lock and skid. Which is good right? And can I just get any master cylinder that says 15/16 size? I'm so new with cars just got my license October last year. All I've been doing for parts is go to autozone/ oreiley and get brake pads, booster, and calipers for 89 civic wagon because that's what they ask. (They recommend any parts that is closest to oem)

thank you you for the help greenteagod!

For the rev hang/ vacuum, I probably will do a complete hose swap. I know for sure the hose for the pcv valve is kinked and brittle. And maybe it's my throttle cable is jacked up because it's right on top of the engine.
  • Not being able to lock up the brake is a sign of not having enough brake. Try a more aggressive pad up front. The econo pads at the parts store have terrible bite. Might as well be two blocks of wood in the caliper. Look for a semi metallic or full metallic pad, they will bite harder. Organic pads suck and ceramics are okay.

You should be able to lock up the brakes with some degree of control and with both sides locking at the same time. And always the fronts before the rears.

Civic EX of the same gen should have a 15/16" master that is a bolt in affair.

Adjusting the play out of the system is HUGE as well. 1mm of play in the clevis and pushrod works out to 10mm of play at the pedal with the lever ratios.
    Not being able to lock up the brake is a sign of not having enough brake. Try a more aggressive pad up front. The econo pads at the parts store have terrible bite. Might as well be two blocks of wood in the caliper. Look for a semi metallic or full metallic pad, they will bite harder. Organic pads suck and ceramics are okay.

You should be able to lock up the brakes with some degree of control and with both sides locking at the same time. And always the fronts before the rears.

Civic EX of the same gen should have a 15/16" master that is a bolt in affair.

Adjusting the play out of the system is HUGE as well. 1mm of play in the clevis and pushrod works out to 10mm of play at the pedal with the lever ratios.

Sweet thank you! I guess I'll be getting 15/16" master cylinder tomorrow.
    So I went to autozone and oreiley and can only find 13/16 master cylinder. where can I find 15/16 or 7/8 master cylinder? Does it have to be civic wagon specific? Because if you go to these big chain store they always ask parts for the car specific.
    Ask for one for a '91 EX Sedan.