Rear Dif mount tore free from it's body mount, what should I do??????

Hey all! I could use some advice, as I'm not sure what the best way to fix this problem is. My car started vibrating from the rear, and then when I had to back up, I heard a pop! Here's the pics from when it was on the lift. I've got it at a friends now awaiting it's fate. Any and all ideas are welcome. I love my little 91 RT, and want it back! My assumption is I need some welding work and a reinforcement plate?

1.jpg?1417451574

1.jpg?1417451578

1.jpg?1417451584

Comments

• NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    I'd say your best bet is find a buddy that's good at welding, and bring him a six-pack.
  • NobiZero wrote: »
    I'd say your best bet is find a buddy that's good at welding, and bring him a six-pack.

That was my first thought as well! Thing is, buddy #1 doesn't feel comfortable with the upside-down welding.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Definitely fixable, at least it ain't rusty!
    If it were mine, i would take out the diff. and mount.

REMOVE THE GAS TANK.

Grind/prep the broken-out pieces and the crossmember.
    Tack them in place by matching up the shapes to the holes.

Then: use a drill small enough to not damage the threads and long enough to reach the floor skin, drill a pilot hole so you can see where you're at from inside the car. Once you've done this you should be able to see lines of spotwelds defining the upper flanges of the crossmember underneath.
    Cut an access flap and fit a steel patch inside to extend beyond the cracks.

Sew it up, then...

REINSTALL THE GAS TANK
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    same thing happend to mine- does your drive shaft have bad u joints as well?
    i was a little more lucky than you mine ripped out a little less metal than yours upside down welding on this was a major pita i lit my favorite work jacket on fire while i was doing it and didnt realise it because of the darkness of the welders mask i didnt remove the gas tank but that would be wise to do in retrospect.
    bam bam nailed it for a really thorough job that is sure to last i just spot welded it into place then did a another couple go overs until it was solid metal with no holes on the out side - painted it bolted it back on and its held up .
    although i cannot say it will long run because i havent had a oppurinity to fix my drive shaft with bad ujoints yet it hasnt seen much vibration yet i wish i would have known sooner what that vibration noise was from the rear end i wouldnt ever have thought the noise would be the diff bouncing in and out of place lol.
    how many miles did your car have when it did this? mine was about 280k give or take 10k
    good luck lmk if you give up and have a good condition rear drive shaft for sale