Headlights shutting off

As of late, my wagon has learned a new trick. two days ago when I was leaving work, my headlights cut out for a second, then came back on. A few more feet down the road, it did it again for a second, then came back on and stayed on the entire ride home. It's been raining a lot as of late here in MA, so I figured something got wet and had to dry itself out. Yesterday it did it again, only this time, it did it a third time once I pulled into my driveway so my theory of something getting wet and needing to dry out is bust. I've checked all my grounds, as I just changed the timing belt the other day and had to disconnect the ground that goes to the valve cover, and it seems fine. The gauge lights stay on when it does this and I have no idea if I lose my marker lights or taillights. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? Possibly related, but maybe not, my wipers sometimes work when on intermittent, and sometimes don't. When intermittent doesn't work, if I just turn them on, it works fine. The windshield sprayers also stopped working, yet the rear glass sprayer still works fine. Could this be a bad headlight switch? Is it a combination switch with the wipers?

Comments

• I had the almost same issue with an overcharging alternator....it would overcharge and trip itself and then reset and be fine then do it again. Check that first since it is pretty easy to pull and take in to be tested for free! I had to turn my lights off to reset them, but very similar. Worth a shot anyway.
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    You know it's funny you say that, on my way to work today, I had the defroster blasting and my headlights on. once I got to work, I shut the lights off, and it was like I turned the fan speed from 3 to 4. I highly doubt my headlights are causing THAT much of a draw. Maybe my it is my alternator...
    Has to be the switch. They went off again tonight, and either I have incredible timing, or when I rage punched the steering wheel, they came back on. Doubt the alternator felt that.
    Quick update, I got a new headlight switch stalk from ebay and slapped it in. 2 days in, and the lights haven't shut off once.