CEL question, need ideas

91 RT wagon

Problem: When I first cold start the car and switch the headlights on the CEL comes on for about 2 seconds and goes off. Engine bogs a bit more than normal for a sec then it's fine. If I turn the car off then back on and turn headlights on no CEL....also if I turn the headlights on then start car no CEL.

Recently installed: New Igniter and 5000K HID bulbs

I installed the 5000K bulbs a week before the igniter and this problem did not occur, also I had 8000K bulbs in before and everything was fine. This problem became apparent the day after I installed the igniter. To me it seems like maybe there's a draw on the alternator maybe an excessive voltage spike right as the headlight switch is engaged.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Did you check for codes?
  • cwin13cwin13 New Wagonist
    The CEL doesn't stay on long enough for codes to appear. I checked the ecu three times while starting and turning lights on and no blinks occur
    Yes. The cel is only displayed when car is on and headlights are switched on and the light illuminates for about 2 seconds. Key on engine off there is no cel. No codes are shown by the pcm
    Update:
    This morning I was sitting in the car without it on and the dash lights started flickering on and off like crazy! If I start the car it stops but I had to unhook the battery for it to stop
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    my bet is something in the ALT or the ELD you're loading the system with the initial fire on the HIDs then their draw goes way down when lit. Its what makes em great besides the output. i feel like you'd get a quick battery light too but those are my best guesses.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    you do realize the place to watch for the CEL is under the pass side carpet close to the firewall right?
    Yeah Abide, that was my guess just not sure why. Also I'm going to check all grounds.
    And yes I know where and how to check for codes and there are none.