Meet Carl the RT4WD Wagon from down under.

Hey guys, I've had this wagon about 10 months now and have fallen in love with it. It's taken the name Carl and it's stuck like glue with all my friends.
It's been pretty slow progress wise as I've spent more $$$ and time keeping it running than modifying it.

This is how I picked it up.

622.jpg

It's running a dual carb D15B4, came with factory electric sunroof but manual windows... Go honda! :/

623.jpg

Comments

• DemsDems Band Wagon
    The parts are starting to pile up and there's some big changes coming including an EF9 front bar. Just hunting for a good pair of indicators to suit.

Already on the car is a set of Koni/ground control sleeves, Nardi wheel, clear indicators and some colour coded door handles.

605.jpg

606.jpg

607.jpg

608.jpg

609.jpg

610.jpg

611.jpg
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    I've booked in my first track day ever and funnily enough it won't be in my CRX with a B18C swap but Carl the wagon!
    Some mutual friends here in Melbourne Australia have been running track days alongside their car club for 10 years. They've all become bored of their track built S15's,RX7 and Evo's etc... So they've come up with a national race series called "Nugget Nationals".

Eligible cars to enter must cost less than $3000 AUD and have an engine capacity of 1.5l or less. Mods are fairly stringent, no forced induction or LSD's or engine mods.

The first race is next month so all the Nugget cars had to come along to a dyno day to start the series.

10532976_10203408273261391_3439475340824313832_n.jpg?oh=ecc0b509eddf1973842572466b601fe0&oe=54CB2571&__gda__=1417858324_5dfe43d2d5dac9b66f32cd3e1a36c22f

Carl pulled a mighty 50kw at the wheels but caused chaos to the dyno because of the strange power split between the front and rear wheels.
    This meant the computer had to be reset, whoops haha!

10712705_10203247988013158_3505631243806221072_n.jpg?oh=9c03d4cc88561851c38cea930ad953c5&oe=54CFA348.

I'll be posted a heap of stuff leading up to the first race and of course how he fairs against the competition.

- Cheers, Gwyn.
  • Welcome to the site. Awesome ride and so straight too. Keep us updated on the racing.
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    Sweet lookin wagon man.
  • Dems from crxaus?
  • Usually people disconnect the rear wheels via the switch in transmission in order to get more accurate dyno results and save the viscous coupler. It is exciting that people are willing to run the wagons on track. Keep us posted!
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    debris wrote: »
    Dems from crxaus?

Haha yep, that's me.

- Gwyn.
  • Dems wrote: »
    Haha yep, that's me.

- Gwyn.

Nice. Good to see another crxaus'er with good taste (ie: RT4WD)
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    HOT CARL!

great pix too...
  • MorhMorh Band Wagon
    Good looking wagon! Where'd you get that "Carl" air freshener? ?
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    Morh wrote: »
    Good looking wagon! Where'd you get that "Carl" air freshener? ?

Thanks Morh, I think I got it from http://www.stylinonline.com/ from memory.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    That astro turf looking stuff on your dashboard is sweet!
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Cool wagon man!
    All the right mods!
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    Thanks guys!! Still a way off from what I have been picturing in my head.

Glad someone noticed the fake grass on the dash haha. I had nasty cracks and stains that I wanted to cover up and every other idea I had was going to be bad with reflections on the window. Came up better than I expected.
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    Here's my EF9 bar waiting to go on, just waiting for a good drivers side indicator and a front lip to come in.

741.jpg

742.jpg
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    Also test fitted my track day wheels. TE37 in 15 x 7 +25 (had to be no wider than 7 inches to comply with the regs for the race)

743.jpg

744.jpg

745.jpg

I'll most likely be going with a 15 x 8 for daily duties, still undecided what to get.
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    Took my wagon down to a buddies workshop to fix up a rattle in my exhaust and mount up my fire extinguisher before the big race on Sunday...

10685608_10203368667950081_844511261509950586_n.jpg?oh=e6bb6e811c83982714de04223bf54830&oe=54B901C6

One thing led to another and we ended up making a straight pipe.

88.jpg

It actually sounds pretty good haha, just got to mount my wheels and get a helmet and I'm good to go.
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Good works man!

Send me your OEM wheels! ;P
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    They're actually CRX 1.6i-16 wheels. ;)
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    The grippy stuff is here! Just some crappy phone pics for now.

104.jpg

105.jpg

Huge improvement, I was getting worried that it wouldn't be much fun on the track but the tyres and exhaust have made such a difference.
    There's actually a bit of power between 3.5k-5k rpm now!!

Can't wait to show you guys how it goes on the day.

- Gwyn.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    so damn clean proper suspension setup so far dope ass wheels youre on the right track
  • nice work, it looks great :encouragement:
    I need your ef9 bumper :)
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Very nice. The white on white looks good to.
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    Hey guys sorry for the delay but the very week after my track day was the biggest motorsport event that I follow and I happen to be a photographer there so I've been very busy with that but now it's business as usual.

My first ever trackday down and I did a 1:57.0200 Not astoundingly fast but not the slowest ether, the track was quite hot and most people seemed to be 2-3 seconds off their normal pace. With that and my learning curve in mind I have no doubt I could push a lot closer to 1:55

418.jpg1J7A5712

419.jpg1J7A5604

420.jpg1J7A5679

To give you guys a comparison a fairly stock 2013 Subaru Forester was only half a second quicker then me, also two average drivers in Nissan S15's have done 2 minutes flat around this track.
    So all in all not a bad effort for the little guy.

421.jpg1J7A5591

422.jpg1J7A5682

423.jpg1J7A5709

Post track day damage was an axle seal and the drivers side axle itself. Held up really well all things considering. I don't think the car has ever been driven that hard in it's 25 year old life.

I also did a quick little shoot with a buddies Civic hatch that was also competing but more on that later.

Thanks for looking,

Gwyn.
  • Hi! your car look's so good. i want to my Wagon look so fine. yo!
  • 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    What was the bar over the front license plate? in your first picture?
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    What was the bar over the front license plate? in your first picture?

Like a little nudge bar. Original owner had spotlights mounted to it.
  • 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    Dems wrote: »
    Like a little nudge bar. Original owner had spotlights mounted to it.

Oh okay its kinda neat! is it OEM honda?
  • DemsDems Band Wagon
    Oh okay its kinda neat! is it OEM honda?

Doubt it, never seen another with it.
  • I like the fake grass on the dashboard. I want to make something similar.