I keep destroying oil pans -__-

Does anyone have a way to be dumb low and not blow out oil pans? the car has a b series in apparently they hang down lower. This is my 2nd one in 4 days :apologetic:. I have seen that VW guys do a thing called "Pan Armor" where they weld steel on to the bottom of the oil pan im going to try that out this go around and see if it will work. My other idea is to raise the motor but i have no clue on how to go about doing that. to give you a idea this is how the car sits.

406.jpg

376.jpg

Comments

• DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Steel plate... You just have to fabricate one, or go to a custom 4x4 shop where they should be familiar with making them..
  • PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    yah i think thats the game pan for now. I dont know how people do this low stuff haha i think they are all single cams
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Cant raise a Bseries, my old B18 sat almost against the bonnet.

Just have to make a bash guard or raise the car
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    NZ-DB8R wrote: »
    raise the car

Raise the car. If it's to the point where you are blowing oil pans frequently, you're too low
    just dropped a oil pan off to a buddy last night to get a steel plate welded to the bottom of it, i think im going to raise the car like half a inch and see what that does
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    Put a D series back in it and lower it another inch... :p
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    See if you can persuade the state to lower the pavement to accommodate you.
    These guys!! haha
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    just dropped a oil pan off to a buddy last night to get a steel plate welded to the bottom of it, i think im going to raise the car like half a inch and see what that does

Search for pics of Rally cars, see what under body protection they have. Copy it as best you can
    yah i think thats going to be the game plan. I got a steel plate welded on the bottom of the oil pan its a little thin but it seems to work pretty well
    update:

This is about as low as i can go and not break things ( for the last few weeks) i put a new motor mount in, Put a motorso 5.5 qt oil pan on (hangs lower but is made stronger) and raised the car up just a hair she seems to be good

442.jpg
  • invalidinvalid Wagonist
    Does anyone have a way to be dumb low and not blow out oil pans? the car has a b series in apparently they hang down lower. This is my 2nd one in 4 days :apologetic:. I have seen that VW guys do a thing called "Pan Armor" where they weld steel on to the bottom of the oil pan im going to try that out this go around and see if it will work. My other idea is to raise the motor but i have no clue on how to go about doing that. to give you a idea this is how the car sits.

for your problem i would suggest a skid plate. what wheels are those and whats the specs of them your wagon looks good

EDIT: Don't quote images from the same thread.
    i just can't find out how or where to make the skid plate because either way the oil pan sits lower then the subframe so its going to hit either way. im on oil pan 6 lol. they are 15x8 +20 noting major with 195 45s
  • Hello,

I think I got an idea, since I own an evo that has a huge underguard that goes over the front bumper and underneath the car.

If you could make something similar then you could forget the worries of damaging your front bumper, engine and anything under the front of the car.

Mine is made of kevlar and is just huge, I need two people to carry it. Here are pics to give you an idea:

9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg

Mine is like in the last pic only black, and it goes over the front of the bumper, with that I can go slide on the curbs with the front of the car. The thing is so sturdy it saves my bumper all the time. And oh going over the bumps I always hear them rub against my shield.

Hope this helps, and you ought to go visit a rally shop nearby!
  • Fit a bash-plate or go dry sump.
    that would be awesome!