Dual Proportioning Valve (RT) question.

So I noticed a metric sh*tton of brake fluid on the ground under our '88 RT4WD and traced it to the dual proportioning valve... which Honda says" DO NOT DISASSEMBLE" which is normally a challenge to me, but I need this one driveable pretty quickly.

Anybody here pull one of these apart and rebuild it? I searched the forum but couldn't find anything on it. I have found the part for sale (46210-SH3-013, relplaces part #46210-SH3-003) but it's pricey. I'll buy one if I have to but I'm thinking this could be a simple as an o-ring or gasket fix...

Comments

• Dj HentaiDj Hentai Wagonist
    Update, the part is actually not for sale anymore. The place I found it verified that the replacement part number is right, but that it's been discontinued.

So on that note, in addition to any advice about rebuilding/repairing this part, anybody got one they'd sell?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I'd say that one from any 4th gen would suit, if that helps with your search.
    Yeah I figured that out - going to hit the local u-pull-n'-pay junkyard soon and see if any have it in them still. I contacted the salvage guys around town as well.

If nobody else has tried, once I get a replacement I'll be pulling apart the old one and seeing what it takes to recondition it. I'll post the results.
    Hit the local yard, pulled a proportioning unit out of an '89 CRX they had there. The mounting brackets are different and it requires a specialized torx key to remove/disassemble the unit from the mount - however, the units are the same in size/fitment otherwise, and I managed to install it in my wagon minus the mounting bracket (hoping it doesn't rattle a lot.)

I noted a small black button-like seal on the unit from the junkyard that seems to be missing from the one originally in my wagon. (Pics to come.) - I'm thinking this is my leak, and if I can re-seal this spot I'll have a spare stashed.