Dented suspension parts after slamming into a curb

Last winter my ex-gf was driving my car in some icy conditions. The car slammed into the curb, leaving it dented like that. I took it to an alignment shop today and they said I had to switch some suspencion parts. Any clue what I’ll need to switch out? I have this guy who fixes my cars and he really doesn’t have a clue what needs to switch. This is eating my new tires up.
543.jpg
544.jpg

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    It looks like your "K"member is bent, or possibly only the lower control arm.

Raise the car and look where the inboard end of the lower control arm bolts to the crossmember. That's probably the deformed area. The part is not very difficult to change, but does require removing the steering rack as well.
  • Thanks bam!
    So, a "K" member - what is that exactly?
    The crossmember at the rear of the engine compartment that includes the rear engine mount, the steering rack&pinion, and the >front suspension mounts< . It's just generically named a Kframe or Kmember because on most cars they are shaped that way.
    Look for damage here

650.jpg

especially around the top of the mounting ears. Compare to the unaffected side.

651.jpg
  • I see, thank you.
    So, I see that there is a lower control arm for sale at ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-89-90-91-Honda-Crx-Civic-OEM-front-R-passenger-side-lower-control-arm-/190740520125?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACivic&hash=item2c69055cbd&vxp=mtr

I can buy this right? According to the interchangeable parts post, this works for my Shuttle.
    So, is there a part number for this "K" member? It sounds expensive.
    So I'm thinking; buying the lower control arm, installing it to see if "the dent is still there".
    Or, taking the tire off and inspecting what exactly is dented.
  • Just saw your reply - thank you so much!
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    Let this be a lesson to you. Actually a lesson to all wagon owners. Dont let your wife/girlfriend/babysmomma/mom/grandmother/boyfriend/fuckbuddy or anyone else drive your wagon. It ends poorly!

See if you can get some photos of that side of the suspension for us as well. Hopefully we can get you fixed up!
  • There's a reason why she's my ex!
    Yeah, I hope so! I'll post some more pictures when I can get him on a car lift.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    There's a reason why she's my ex!
    Yeah, I hope so! I'll post some more pictures when I can get him on a car lift.

HAHA good stuff man.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    im with bam on the spot where your LCA bolts to the k-member/crossmember/front-lower-rear-subframe-thing. might want to have them take the radius rod out too with that kind of movement. depending on how far the wheel went the first time that thing could have a nice little obtuse angle in it.
  • I checked this out yesterday - didn't see anything..
    I'll post pictures tomorrow.
  • lolingirunarlollolingirunarlol New Wagonist
    Hey boys!
    Here's the album. Me and my mechanic couldn't see anything wrong. But the picture I took from under sure looks weird. What do you think?
    http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/ingirunar/library/dekkjavesen?sort=3&page=1
    Anybody see anything?
  • SkeletorSkeletor Band Wagon
    http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/ingirunar/media/dekkjavesen/20140428_203538.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

I don't know, maybe its the angle, but your bushing doesn't look right to me. Is it pushed to one side? or is it just an optical elusion?
    Yeah, it sure doesn't look right. Thanks Skelator.
    Any more feedback?
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Is it just me or is your upper control arm bend slightly?

Looks like it's bend inwards too, which "explains" the positive camber.
    I really don't have an eye for this :(
  • SkeletorSkeletor Band Wagon
    Your best bet is to replace the upper and lower control arms, and with that kind of abuse prob the lower ball joint and steering joint too. Def take off the torsion bar (radius rod) and make sure it's not bent.