Aftermarket lower control arms necessary after coilover install?

Are these necessary to have proper suspension geometry afterward?

Comments

• No but if you go really low you will need to fix camber and toe.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    No they are not necessary, BUT...

odds are pretty good that all the bushings in your LCA's (lower control arms) are toasted, seized, ripped, ect... The cost of aftermarket LCA's (godspeed, which I like in this instance) are under $100 or so. They add the holes for a sway bar if you want to add one later (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), all new bushings, lighter, i think worth it for the small amount of money. If your current shit is seized, like most good Canadian wagons are, then you'll need a fix anyway, best to have something on stand by.
  • Good point, but MAKE SURE YOU RESEARCH WHAT YOU BUY FIRST!!! I've heard many horror stories of aftermarket LCA's that come with terrible quality bushings in them.

Also, most aftermarket rear LCA's have provisions to attach end links for a rear sway bar. I don't believe the wagon LCA's have anywhere to bolt them, so if a rear sway bar is in the plans, you'd have to use Civic Si LCA's (I believe) or go with aftermarket.
  • Yeah I've heard avoiding Skunk2 is a good idea due to bushing quality, but they have apparently gone to better bushings recently, so it may not be a bad choice. I went with Function7 LCAs after reading a bunch of reviews. I never saw any complaints about their bushing quality. A friend of mine runs BWR LCAs and he has not had any issues yet.
  • therichisgoodtherichisgood New Wagonist
    Thanks guys, I'm in homework mode right now trying to get my shite together.. Coming from the VW world it feels like I'm almost have to start over.
  • Or...you can always just replace your OEM bushings with some aftermarket ones...energy suspension makes good stuff. The upper control arms are what's going to affect your suspension geometry (at least as far as camber goes), not the lowers.

I realized that everyone was assuming you were just talking about rear suspension. If you're thinking front and rear, I'm not sure anyone even makes aftermarket front LCAs.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    Nobody currently offers an aftermarket front LCA for EF, there was one a long time ago that had a very brief run. It's a shame because you can get them for EG & EK. << - fronts
    With your canadian wagon, there will be corrosion, by the time you've pressed out OEM bushings in 1 arm, you'll be saying 'shit, i shoulda just bought aftermarket complete' <<--for rears

I think i see what he means now though, you need Skunk2 upper control arms on the front to get your geometry back to where you should have it. Serious camber is lame, if that's what you're going for, i'm out.