I hate auto-belts...

I'm actively searching for a new chassis from south of the boarder. all the 90-91's have auto belts, it's cutting my options in half. It's not even an option, i will not do it. The conversation goes like this,

seller: 'rust free wagon, free, blown engine.'
me: 'auto belts?'
seller: 'yes'
me: 'pound salt.'

fyi, never equipped in canada. I know this has been covered multiple times, but god damn do i hate auto-belts.
monday lunch beers induce rants.

Comments

• 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    I hate auto belts too......they're the devil. Thats why i have an 88 :)
  • ^^^^ WORD! That's why I have two 88's. I had a 91, no problems with the belts, but still....DEVIL!!!
  • therichisgoodtherichisgood New Wagonist
    I love mine!
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    So... what's up with the auto belts anyway? Why do the USDM cars have them?
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    It's a love hate auto-belt relationship for me.
    I hate them.... But at least it always makes me wear my seat belt.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Thanks to this little gem from my childhood, I never ever forget to 'make it click'. Every single ad break. At school. At Maccas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZjJxOnJVGs
  • Haydz wrote: »
    So... what's up with the auto belts anyway? Why do the USDM cars have them?

It was a STUPID way for the U.S. Government to make people wear seat belts!
  • LowFlyin'LowFlyin' Moderator
    Can't wait to do a conversion on mine.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    Well, it turns out that I'm going to have to eat my words...

Next week I'm going to pick up a different wagon. In Canada... and who would have thunk, it's a US import and it has auto belts. I'm doing it anyway, the seller and I are on the same page. Oh and it's b18 swapped. There will be a full write-up in the works... mwhahaha i have evil plans.
  • FluffySticksFluffySticks Band Wagon
    How do you do that?
  • I installed a set of fully manual belts in my old 91 sedan. Wasn't too bad, was able to use bolts and bolt holes from where the auto belts mounted. Need to find another set of those belts so I can do it again on my 90 wagon because the auto belts are the worst.
  • Auto belts were the first answer to the government requirement for passive restraints. The belts attached to the door in the hatchback were another answer. Airbags were too expensive at first.

Auto belts are fine until they stop working. Sold my '91 after that happened, kept the two '88s