brake vibration (not rotors!) / steering issue!

I'm going to try and describe this as best I can... here goes...

When I apply the brakes between 40-60mph, I get a pretty bad vibration in the STEERING WHEEL, it goes away at anything outside of that speed range. Everything appears tight in the suspension and the brakes are new (rotors/pads)

Here is what i THINK might be part of the problem...

If i center the steering wheel, it's 2.25 turns to full lock one way, and it sticks at full lock.
If i turn the wheel the other way, i only get 1.75 turns to full lock and it doesn't stick. There should be no sticking.

Anyone have any ideas?

Rack end bushing was done and the inner & outter rods as well.

So what can cause brake vibration if it's not rotors! I'm loosing my mind here.

Comments

• 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    I had some wheels on my RT that were bent, they had a very small vibration at all speeds. But when I stepped on the brakes coming off the freeway, at about 60 mph, the front end/steering wheel wobbled as if the brake roters were warped.

it was like when i stepped on the brakes it magnified the bent wheel wobble?

So maybe try some other wheels and tires?

Just a thought/ idea, I'm not sure what kind of wheels you are running.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    It COULD be wheels/tires, but the tires are BRAND NEW, and the wheels are BMW bottlecaps which showed no signs of bendy on the balancer.

here's the new problem i found upon inspection... BALLS!!!

so it COULD be a rack end bushing problem after all i suppose. I'm not sure about it, but i gotta start where i know what's wrong.