IACV problem

hello folks

i'm having a bit of a problem with my IACV on my D15B2

While it was running it was idling high ( i have since determined this is normal due to the FITV ) so i unplugged the IACV, which brought the vehicle to a normal 700rpm idle speed, and when plugged back it it went back to fast idle ( 1500 RPM ) but the idle would bouce about 200rpm , now when the wagon is idling after reaching operating temperature it surges about 200 rpm from 700 or so to 900 and back, every couple seconds, constantly.

how can this be fixed? I've tried disconnecting the battery to see if it would help but no dice.

Comments

• Most likely the IACV is just bad. Either the solenoid is gummed up, or the little plastic "spring" inside is all worn out. Really common problem with old d series civics. You can try to clean out the IACV with some degreaser or something like that, and it may help. Otherwise just try to find a different one at a junkyard or something!
  • DenwadDenwad Band Wagon
    i should say, that before i disconnected the IACV (while the engine was running) the vehicle was fine, it idled fine etc. Nothing was wrong.

I don't think the IACV is bad itself, just the act of disconnecting, and reconnecting messed something up. It could be that the act of disconnecting and reconnect may have fried it though.

I've tried reading, and searching for the problem but nobody seems to have had the same problem in the past.
  • Hmmm...yeah that is a bit strange. Still sounds like typical symptoms of an aging/bad IACV. I would suggest resetting the ECU, but you seem to have tried that. Did you let it sit with the battery disconnected for a while? It may not be necessary, but I usually like to let it sit for 10-15 mins disconnected in order to reset the ECU.

I'm afraid I may not be much help other than telling you to replace the IACV and see if that helps...hahaha :|