89 rt4wd no power to fuel pump

Okay I just made my account tonight. I've read the posts and can't really find what I'm looking for.
I recently bought an 89 rt4wd from an old man. The wagon has been sitting since 99! It had 110 k on body and originamotor. He said the fuel pump was bad. And he had a new one. It turns out both fuel pumps were fine. But im not getting any power to the pump. I have tested the relays. Except the one under the dash and the ignition swich. I had to run a hot from the alternator fuse to the fuel pump to get it to work. Got the cr started with starting fluid. It runs and idols. So basically I have 2 questions.
1.) Is it safe to run a hot wire from some main sorce of power to the fuel pump to get it to drive.
2.) Does anyone know were the fuel pump wire goes specifically so I can check for a short?
Now like I mentioned before this is a 1 owner car. Never been molested. Low miles and it was sold 14 years ago bc the fuel pump was thought to be bad. Turns out its just the power supply to the pump I just do t know were to go from there.. any input will help.
Thanks!

Comments

• spinoutspinout Band Wagon
    Sounds like the main relay went out. Happens to tons of Hondas that are this old... Here's a video.
  • Main relay is notorious on hondas...... short of that unless the wiring has been molested at some point its doubtful (to me) that it would be the wiring. another thing you can check is the grounds, specifically the engine grounds to make sure they are not corroded or loose and the ground at the fuel pump. Try a known good main relay...
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    OP, please make sure you search in the future. This is a very very very common issue that has been discussed at least once a month for the last 5+years that I know of
  • people who race have the pump setup with a on/off switch. so i wouldnt see why it would be bad. just always make sure its safe. esp dealing with fuel