My REALLY slow 88 RT4WD project

Comments

• love that color
  • Nice!! Any plans on it?
  • Only plans are to daily it, and then flip it in Dec when I get stationed in Hawaii.
  • Nice... Enjoying a wago for a bit.
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Cant wait to see where this goes!
    Count me in as well ....
    rhd conversion complete..?
  • RHD is on hold indefinitely, minus hmotors there are not many companies offering a complete front clip. I paid moshi moshi motors for an AT clip since the bay is getting shaved, but after 2 months never received the clip so I got my money back, hmotors does have one now but fabrication has already begun. New pics soon!
  • Picked up a crv mount which is needed for the k24 and hasport mounts.
    515.jpg

A shitty camera phone shot of the engine and trans.
    516.jpg

The front end had some damage so I will be sourcing an undamaged core support. But this is were she sits right now.
    517.jpg
  • Went to the local u pull it and found a rear diff from an element so I'll be picking that up this weekend, also found to sets of rear speakers from an older honda pilot!

• 1.jpg

Newest progress shot!
  • I'll just leave these here.457.jpg 458.jpg 459.jpg 460.jpg 461.jpg 462.jpg 463.jpg 464.jpg
  • Just received my core support from Moe at ef-parts.com. hopefully now some more work will get completed on the bay.
  • Small update with pictures updated tomorrow, I picked up an all in fab tucked radiator to match the turbo kit. Also got a rear differential from a 06 element. Other goodies include bull bar, daisy blinds, and a Honda car phone.
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I do not know how I missed this. How much power do you think the k24 awd system can hold reliably?
  • That is a good question, it is all element drive train, the car the turbo came off of was pushing 500, I plan on getting it tuned for drivability, and not all out power, so if I can get 400whp reliable on the engine and drive train I'll be very happy. Thanks for looking at my build.
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I would love to do a similar swap in the future. If I ever find a ceased element with a manual transmission I'm going to be all over it lol.
  • Most of the items I have used so far have been sourced using car-part.com, my goal is to do this swap using quality parts as cheaply as possible, for instance the rear diff from Honda is approximately 1800, I got mine used with approximately 45k, for 169.00 shipped. It also helps when you know an amazing fabricator ie. Odb weldingwerks. I'll continue to post progress as it happens.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Good stuff, cant wait to see more updates!
  • So I just got back from Virginia where I've been mostly since July doing some navy training. That means it's time for an update on my parts hording. Please don't ban me for my horrible camera phone pictures.

345.jpg
    Don't mind the garage couch, it's supposed to look like that!

346.jpg
    My power mirrors, unfortunately these are not power folding.

347.jpg
    So I was talking to Vladi awhile ago asking if he could source me some lhd power windows in which I think he Lol'd at me! Jk but he did say they are hard to find. The next week however a set popped up at what I think is a great price. It is a complete conversion minus door panels.

348.jpg
    Nothing to special about these, just swooped on them for the cheap.

349.jpg
    Grabbed these from a good buddy parting out his ef9 build, is it just me or are they getting harder to find?

350.jpg
    15 dollars, enough said I think.

351.jpg
    I was looking for the DA armrest with the kinda sorta cup holders but people are asking 100+! So this will do just fine I think.

352.jpg
    Minty! Grabbed this from a member of EM1crew.com, I still lurk over there even though I sold my si along time ago :(

353.jpg
    Grabbed this for low 300's shipped, has a small dent on the underside that can't be seen when installed.

354.jpg
    By now I think everyone has seen the visors Dana had made.

355.jpg
    And of course my JDM fanboy Uber rare super sweet daisy blinds. But on the real, I was able to get these when EP importers had found a pallet and was selling them for 225 shipped, still kind of pricey for blinds, but after seeing them going for 400+ on the interwebs I figure it could be a good investment :)

I will be going to see my wagon next week to see how the bay work is going, hopefully I'll have a better update than my parts hording. Also if anyone is wondering why I'm trying to convert everything to power, my wife laughs at me and my poor wagon because we'll it's a year older than her and doesn't understand why I mess with it, and to that I told her that my wagon can have any of the cool stuff her 2014 ford focus titanium has, such as power windows, mirrors, push start, and yes even a car phone!
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    This is going to be awesome! Did you cut out the core support because it was damaged or is it easier to work in the engine bay without it?
  • It was damaged, when I bought the wagon it had a different front end on it, I was unaware it had been in a wreck. You live and learn I guess. Luckily I was able to source a core support from Moe at ef parts. But I suppose it does help out with the bay work and mocking up the engine. A lot of work had to be done to the Trans mount.
  • slo88crxslo88crx Senior Wagonist
    Found it!! haha Need to go to Chris's shop and get some new pics!!
  • I'm going some time this week! I'll let you and Gary know maybe we'll all meet up!
    bigdzysays wrote: »
    I'm going some time this week! I'll let you and Gary know maybe we'll all meet up!

Heck yea usually on Tuesday nights I go to his shop and chill for a bit then we all head to St. Augustine and have wings and beer! Can't beat it super cheap!
  • 404.jpg
    So if anyone has been following my build, you'll know I got a complete custom all in fab turbo kit for the k24. Well this is a 1 off radiator with unique shroud.

405.jpg
    Even though this is a horrible picture I think it clearly shows the progress being made in the bay. I know not everyone is a fan of shaved and tucked bays but I'm pretty excited.

I'll be leaving for Hawaii on the first of the month, and the wagon will stay at ODBWeldingWerks while the bay is completed along with custom mounts and extended shock towers are installed. Then rust repair and the mounting of the elements rear diff. Then off to paint from a buddy Gary who has a wagon also. Updates will probably be slow from here on out but I will post as I get progress pictures from Chris and Gary.
  • Progress is looking good!

What kind of rear diff is the element, does it use Hondas dual pump system?
  • Grifty wrote: »
    Progress is looking good!

What kind of rear diff is the element, does it use Hondas dual pump system?

That is a good question I'll have to look it up, I got it so the ratio between the Trans and diff would be correct, and I believe the element rear diff will hold more power than the wagon diff.
  • I like the wrinkles on the red valve cover. Good work.
  • 69.jpg
    So I received these about 30 minutes before I left for the airport. Super excited about them and I must say much lighter than I thought. Very tidy packaging, thumbs up for these!
    Awesome dude!!! Cant wait to see how they come out!!
  • So I've been in Hawaii for about 6 weeks now, and the parts hoarding continues. Excuse me for the horrible screen shots as as some items are going straight to ODBWeldingWerks.

6.png

297.jpg

Now I was not actively searching for this rear setup and was probably more of an impulse buy. BUT I am happy to have them :)

298.jpg

Thanks again for looking guys, and I promise the wagon will run! Last part needed for Fab is the prop shaft.