87 Civic Wagon

Comments

• Chaif could it possibly be the main relay?
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    not sure yet, NEVERfall, does the cluster light up at all?
    can you list any other symptoms here?
  • xXxNEVERfallxXxxXxNEVERfallxXx New Wagonist
    Sorry I will have to take a picture of the engine when I can get to it. (Sadly I'm not that mechanically inclined... yet.)

Yes all the cluster lights up, its getting gas. All I can really tell you is when you go to start it, it turns over and over but won't fire up.
    Threw in a new ignition coil and still nothing so that wasn't it, he thinks it could be something to do with the distributor head. I'll keep you guys posted when I find out more.
  • Try a junkyard main relay before you spend all that money
  • Try a junkyard main relay before you spend all that money

^^^^ THERE it is :devilish:
  • ^^^^ THERE it is :devilish:

There what is?:|
  • There what is?:|

The problem, IMHO....my money is on the main relay. I always try the easiest and cheapest route first before throwing money at it AND the main relays of this era are notorious for failure.
    Mechanic said it couldn't be the main relay because it has a mechanical fuel pump, is this true?
    Boys, it is not the main relay.... this car is carbureted.
    Neverfall... can you post a picture of the engine bay, so that I may help you identify which carburetor your wagon is running?
    My mechanic deciphered it as a broken camshaft..

Chaife: I will get that photo up as soon as I can.
    awww man. my biggest fear with my wagon. how many miles did she clock?
    189,xxx

Currently trying to locate a cylinder head to replace, hopefully that will get her running again.
  • WagoDanWagoDan Wagonist
    My 87 did the same thing, turns out the motor was going thru soo much oil it ran low and the camshaft siezed the first journal breaking at the cam gear key. Engine turned over timing belt still good but camshaft wasnt turning the distributor. I'll put money on it same thing happened to you. pull off the distrib cap to see if rotor is turning then pop the valve cover. i found a head from 87 sedan at the pull n pay, not exactly the same head but it did work, now gotta decide whether or not to rebuild card (float sticking) or turn it into RWD madness!
    Finally got her running again. But sadly another problem awakened. The breakage of the camshaft, melted the aluminium and now inside lies a bunch of contamination resulting in burning oil pretty badly. The devilish blue smoke comes out of my pipe only during acceleration at stop lights, as long as I baby it the rest of the way. So now I have to get that cleaned out and resurfaced, and sized for new pistons. Don't run your car out of oil kids.
  • WagoDanWagoDan Wagonist
    I ran those E3 spark plugs and never saw smoke so it kinda caught me off guard, those plugs are awesome for that oil burner, but only use NGK in the 4th gens
    Boy oh' Boy do I have an update.

First off, after rebuilding the top half of the engine it started to burn oil bad. I heard stories of this mystical fluid called "Restore" so I figured why not. Went to go buy it, only to find a replacement. 'Ring Seal Smoke Repair' by RiSLONE. Poured it in and bam, now it hardly even smokes when accelerating up a hard hill. A miracle? Possibly, but I personally was surprised that it worked. It wasn't even drive-able at the rate the smoke was pouring out of my exhaust, but now she's back to a DD.

262.jpg

Last Saturday some fiendish thieve decided to break into my baby, while I was at work, and steal my entire audio set-up. My subs, amp, deck, and even my old, janky ipod. My work won't do anything about it because apparently 'they couldn't see anything on camera' ugghhh. So went and got an alarm installed, Clifford 2-way, that way it'll tell me on the receiver if someone's up to some funky business. Next for extra security I'm going to attempt to rig up a cargo cover, then tint the windows. Ain't nobody gonna know what I'm carrying in my wago.

4 days ago I went to a friends house for a quick stop, only to come out to see a giant puddle of Coolant on the ground. Look under, and it was just pouring out anti-freeze. So put some more in, didn't leak out so took her home. No signs of overheating, gauge stayed quite cool. No leaking since, jacked her up the next day and couldn't find any cracks in hoses or holes in the Radiator/Reserve. Still no signs of over-heating, and no leaking. Just been keeping an eye on it. Its quite the mystery, maybe someone else on here has dealt with something similar?
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Damn thieves! I'm sorry to hear about that dude. But that's kinda of weird that anti-freeze just pours like that and there is no signs of any cracks. Wish I could help to solve your problem.. And I wanna see some more pics of the wago man!
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Your stuff being stolen sucks man! They did it to me once, words cant describe how "raped" the car feels on the inside after some prick broke into it.

im not sure about your coolant problem, there should be a leak... Coolant doesn't come out of the ground.

And this thread does need more pics!
  • 1988rt1988rt Senior Wagonist
    Just had my radio took last night, how frustrating! it was a piece of crap Iowa radio lol
  • TinkerNutTinkerNut Band Wagon
    That stinks about loosing your system. What did you do to your turn signals... I like the look and want to try it on my wagon.
    Their just smoked, same with my tail lights. There's also this vinyl film that you can slap on to give it a smoked look.

I love how it looks, way more than the amber corners.
    I am horrified to say, I put the wago up for sale the other day in an effort to afford a rt4wd for sale on Craiglist. I was amazed at the responses I got, people fighting to get first chance at it, offering even more than what I was asking. God I love my car... after much thought I decided to not sell. I didn't want to travel a 12 hour trip to Bellingham to buy something that would never replace my sweet Swagovan. But the time for a rt4wd will come, eventually.

Lately I have been thinking about saving to do a swap. I want something that will give my baby a little more power, I will always drive her slow, but when the time comes I want to be able to keep up with my fellow drivers. However I know nothing about engine swapping or compatibility; so thats why I'm here. Hopefully, with all of your help, I can learn of the perfect fit for my 3rd gen. And I figure I might as well do a swap instead of rebuilding the bottom of my current engine. :rolleyes:

Oh, installed a LED dome light. Will have pictures up of her illuminated soon!
    Bad news, so on my way to get some vent shades for my wago when there was a loud pop and it started to run really rough. I pulled over to the shoulder of the freeway, and she died. Took off the carb and she's getting fuel. Checked all the spark wires and reconnected all of them, and that didn't do anything. She starts but runs rough then dies, she's misfiring. So I called up AAA and got her towed home.

598.jpg

599.jpg

On the way home got a thumbs up by a fellow stanced ek, which was cool. Anyways, when I got her home I check all the spark plugs. They were clean except the last one, looked almost corroded.

1.jpeg

Don't know if you can tell anything by this picture, but I'm gonna try to replace that plug. See if that does anything, if not then I'm going to check out the cap & rotor. Also got word that your fuel filter can get all junked up and cause something like this to happen, anybody think thats possible? And also where is the fuel filter, checked my manual to see the location and wasn't sure if I'm looking at the right thing or not. A small little cap connecting two braided cords?
    Can't believe I never put this up.

My Wago with my sister's Sedan. Plus new stickers for all those pist drivers too read while their stuck behind my slow ass.
    603.jpg

Oh yeah, and I dunno if this is any clue to help figure out whats wrong. But that morning when it broke down, their was a pretty hefty fume smell when we started it up. Hopefully someone can help me!
    No one's helping me so far, but I'm still gonna keep updating. I have to have atleast one follower out there! :concern:

Here is the long awaited engine picture (sorry for the ipod quality...)
    Weber carb with K&N filter.

605.jpg

Replaced the aux fuel filter.

606.jpg

Replaced the Cap & Rotor, and new plugs. Still won't stay running sounded better though.
    What the heck is this? Its giving me a wierd feeling, but maybe its just that burrito I ate a few hours ago. It's attached to the side of the bay right next to my pass side wheel well. The dizzy cap connects a spark wire to it.

607.jpg

Then replaced the actual spark wires. Swapped out the icm with one I found at a pick n' pull from the same year wago, when I went to go get both icm's tested the guy at Costless did some research and said its not a normal icm; that its actually both a icm and a pick up coil? So went home and threw it in. It started up, idle'd very low by itself (not even touching the gas) then a pop, and it died. Now it doesn't idle for long, giving it gas doesn't effect it at all. Then it dies.

... is anyone out there ...
    Oh yahh, can't forget to deliver those sweet pictures. Again sorry for the quality, its all I have at the moment.

608.jpg
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    love it! was the spark plug your problem?
  • ragenasianragenasian Moderator
    Nice clean little wagon. Keep posting pics! Love these
    quarters wrote: »
    love it! was the spark plug your problem?

No, it wasn't the spark plugs. Non of the issues were, so right now I'm stuck. Don't know what to try next...
    Sounds like an intake leak or the timing is off.
    Check to make sure all of your Intake manifold plugs are in place, and that one didn't fall off.