Strut yo stuff (lowered wagon owners- please enter)

What struts are you lowered Wagon Owners using???

I feel like my struts are pretty blown and am preparing to lower my wagon- just wanted to know what you guys are using (brand? Model? part # if you got them?)

and pix would be a big help too...

I researched a little bit and 86-89 Accord Front struts seem to be a hit?

Comments

• CharbCharb Administrator
    You just want stock-ish replacement?

Tokico blues aren't bad for the money. I repeat, for the money lol
  • 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    what kind of lowering springs/coils are you going to use? Just wondering?
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    I had H&R lowering springs on mine for a while. I loved how they handled & looked. You can check the early days of my build thread for pics! Good luck, I know whatever you go with will kick ass. Your build is great!
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    ground control coilovers are the springs I will be using.

basically looking for a stockish replacement strut? but if 86-89 Accord struts are a little bit shorter- and offer a better ride quality?- i will buy those for the fronts. and maybe just stock replacements for the rear?

i dont know, im just trying to research a bit more and asking others opinions...
    You spent the money on the ground controls.

Spend some money on struts.

Assuming you'll keep the car long term, you'll hate yourself later if you don't. If you want stories of stock strut replacements in lowered cars, give me a call.
    Charb wrote: »
    Spend some money on struts.

thats what im saying- so what struts should i buy??
    I'm going with GC/Koni in the 2wd. But I'm planning some autox.

I had Tokico Blues in my old hatchback. Daily drove for 2 years in Phoenix/Seattle. People talk shit. Mostly because of performance. But I'd buy em again in a heart beat if I was lowering a dd. I had them with H&Rs and the ride was great.
    ^wow Koni's are about double Tokico Blues.... hrrrrrrmmmm

Tokico will have to do...
    so will any these struts work for RT4wd wagon? like any EF-CRX struts work with wagon?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130492517531?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
  • LowFlyin'LowFlyin' Moderator
    BillBoard wrote: »
    What struts are you lowered Wagon Owners using???

I thought you had a 4th Gen?

3rd Gen have struts, 4th Gen have shocks.

I'm running shortened Koni Yellow shocks with Skunk2 adjustable sleeves and 2.5"ID 400# springs front and rear.

You should be fine with the 4G shocks for the front, I'd recommend 5G (EG) rears, though. They are a touch shorter than the 4Gs. Stay away from the DA stuff. They are way too tall.

http://ef-honda.com/ben/EFhybridsus.php

The rear shock for the RT4WD wagons are quite a bit different. The lower perch is an inch or two lower than the standard 4G rears from the hatch and CRX. I had a set of CRX rears before switching to the shortened Konis and I could only get the rear down to about an inch of fender gap without riding on the bump stops. The stops were shorted to about an inch tall.
    LowFlyin' wrote: »
    I thought you had a 4th Gen?

3rd Gen have struts, 4th Gen have shocks.

I'm running shortened Koni Yellow shocks with Skunk2 adjustable sleeves and 2.5"ID 400# springs front and rear.

You should be fine with the 4G shocks for the front, I'd recommend 5G (EG) rears, though. They are a touch shorter than the 4Gs. Stay away from the DA stuff. They are way too tall.

http://ef-honda.com/ben/EFhybridsus.php

The rear shock for the RT4WD wagons are quite a bit different. The lower perch is an inch or two lower than the standard 4G rears from the hatch and CRX. I had a set of CRX rears before switching to the shortened Konis and I could only get the rear down to about an inch of fender gap without riding on the bump stops. The stops were shorted to about an inch tall.

Ahhhh thank you for the clarifications! and great read, the only thing missing from that write up was 86-89 Accord front Shocks? they are an 1inch or 1/2inch shorter than EF from everywhere I read and will work with EF application... So is it better to buy the 86-89 front shocks as oppose to EF shocks?
    I was unaware of the 86-9 Accord as an option, so IDK.

How low are you trying to go? I had the front (~1" fender gap) matched to the back with the CRX shocks and had plenty of travel left in the shock. If you are going lower than that...might be worth a shot?
    LowFlyin' wrote: »
    I was unaware of the 86-9 Accord as an option, so IDK.

How low are you trying to go? I had the front (~1" fender gap) matched to the back with the CRX shocks and had plenty of travel left in the shock. If you are going lower than that...might be worth a shot?

this thread dives into 86-89 accord struts pretty well...
    http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?12128-What-is-the-Shortest-Oem-Strut&highlight=struts

i really am looking to "kill the gap" but still comfortable... so mainly i just want the traviling room if that makes sense when it comes to the shock, so if 86-89 accord front shock will give the most traveling room and most comfortable ride- thats the answer i seek...?

-which I think "yes" is the answer.. so i will be purchasing 86-89 accord front shocks, and the rear will have to be stock for a bit- until i get a few more dolla dolla bills...
    Seems like a reasonable conclusion, though you don't want to go too short. The wheel/tire still needs to be able to droop some what to accommodate uneven roads and surfaces while maintaining contact between the tire and the road/dirt/earth.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    i just bought a set of koni yellows for the 3rd time in my life im not sure if i will ever bother to try anything new im always so satisfied with the way the car handles with koni's i dont see a reason to change..
    Thmotorsports offer them for 499 i just bought them for a civic hatchback EF i was concerned about fitment as well , as i havent been into my car build for about a year i forgot alot of the small stuff. i will be running a pair of extended top hats in the rear and utilizing the adjustable spring perch snap ring options to get the most out of my shock.
    and fyi
    im almost 100% sure you will need koni specific ground controls as they have a space wedged out on the perch were it sits snugly over the snap ring on the koni's to prevent the snap ring from failing. ( although ive had it happen to me before - not cool ) hope that was insiteful
    Appreciate that klum. I was aware of the snap ring on the Konis and had a friend machine new lower perches for me.
  • josh1vtmjosh1vtm Council Member
    Not sure if you have bought any yet, but we use kyb's for OE replacements, and the KYB AGX shocks for more serious stuff, and i dunno if youre wanting to go as low as my white wagon was but ive got a few tricks shoot me a PM if you wanna talk LOW.