"Born to Roll"

Finally after years of patiently waiting and searching I have found a clean wagon at a great price, the wagon is a 88 RT4wd and its very clean for its age

361.jpg

362.jpg

363.jpg

364.jpg

Comments

• Very clean indeed, love that color.
  • MorhMorh Band Wagon
    Nice find! looks clean. good luck with your build!
  • 1988rt1988rt Senior Wagonist
    Dam that is supper clean, How much did you pay for it? If you dont mind me asking
  • OddMarzOddMarz New Wagonist
    I paid $850
  • 1988rt1988rt Senior Wagonist
    You got an awesome deal on it, My first Rt was a blue 1988
  • EF FTWEF FTW New Wagonist
    Nice find! Definitely clean. What are your plans for it?
    Find the right suspension set up for it and drop it, not into the hella flush or stanced look so you won't be seeing any of that here, I'd like to find a proper set of wheels, new stereo and speakers for self entertainment, and at some point down the road B series swap, this car will be a daily driver so you won't be seeing anything to crazy around here
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Nice one, congratulations. Are you going to try the "B2D" adapter, or are you thinking of going 2wd with a Bseries?
    Thanks man I was actually thinking of going 2wd, not to fond of the gearing on this tranny, rpms are really high when I'm on the fwy and I spend a lot of time on the fwy to and from work, but that won't be for a while today is only my 2nd day of owning the car and I'm just enjoying it

Got some sounds today will be installing soon

380.jpg
  • Good find. rt4wd is awesome.
    Have had these Racing Harts for many years thinking about putting tires on them and throwing them on once I lower the car

383.jpg
  • have that same deck. I like it.
  • awesome find for 850$.
    I am an avid shoe collector and this morning I went to hard body camp for a chance to get a ticket for a shoe that release tomorrow, in super cold weather, no sleep I waited outside the mall for 7hrs when they finally let me in I knew I was in trouble I was too far back in the line and sure enough I couldn't pick up a titicket

out of frustration I went home and began to work on the car to get some anger out

it all began with this broken tape deck

393.jpg

then I saudered together the to harnesses

394.jpg

Pulled out the old speaker (they were the 20+ year old OEM Honda speakers)

395.jpg

396.jpg

had to modify the speaker cups

397.jpg

Here the new speakers all ready in place
    398.jpg

Any finally the finished product

399.jpg
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    speaker upgrade nice!! im about ready for that too, my oem speakers in the rear are driving me nuts...
    I'm about tell you guys the story of how long I've been looking for a wagon and how came to acquire the car (if you don't feel like reading a long story here's your que to stop reading) It all began in 2006 when I was at a friends shop LA, CA when one of his long time customers came in a wagon (I was a big fan of his previews car an EG sedan) I was some what disappointed that he had ditched the sedan for this car (at that very moment I hated the car) as I said my good byes to my friend and began the drive home I don't know why but the damn wagon began to grow on me didn't take much after that where I actively began looking for one, at this point in time wagon where still decently priced, only thing holding me back was I that I was heavily invested into my EK hatch at that time and after some thought I decided I didn't want 2 project
    In 2007 I realized my EK had become to modified to be daily driven, I actively began looking for a wagon again at this point wagon had risen in popularity and I could tell the prices where rising, couldn't find one to my liking or price then my g/f got a car and again the search was put on the back burner, then came 2008 this was a bad year for me was laid off work money became tight but one way or another I continued building the EK and driving it, 2008 lead into 2009 same pattern continued went from odd job to odd job kept pouring $$$ to the build until one day the EK got stolen if you car to read about it go here (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2597541) and (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2772751)long story short car got stolen and the car got recovered, From this point on everything changed for me I became traumatized about the car I always felt someone was after me or watching for the car completely stopped using it then one day I get a good deal out of the blue for 2000 spec USDM type R complete engine w/ papers, I completely fell in love w/ the idea of putting the type R on it, I had always wanted to BAR the car (not really think of how I wasn't driving the car and was terrified to even use it). So I pulled my B20v and type R trans and sold the complete swap bought the type r and never installed it, at some point here it is now 2010 my g/f becomes pregnant baby came in 2011 shit in my life began to take a bad direction (besides the birth of my daughter) shit got bad at home, my g/f , baby, and I stayed at friends house for a little while by this time I was completely down and out or as some would call it hit rock bottom, thank god my g/f still had her job we ended up getting our own apartment $$$ was super tight at wich point I decided to sell my beloved EK (one of the hardest things I ever had to do, had a very strong emotional attachment to that car) but as you all know family comes 1st and I did what had to be done, soon after found out were gonna have another child but now at least I had found a job, it was shitty but it was a job. Now we go to 2012 we welcome our new daughter still had it rough with $$$ job starts to become unstable it's now been months since I've owned a car (had to walk or take bus to work) in July I find a new job and have been working very hard to try to catch up on old bills, school payment and such , then one day about 2 months ago as I was getting a ride to work there it was just sitting on the street right next to where I work soon after I left a note on the car didn't hear back till about 2 weeks ago, she gave me a long story but said she would be interested in selling and the rest is history as you can all see I now own the car..........sorry for the long story
  • 1.5 ef1.5 ef Band Wagon
    i feel you on this, i was in a similar situation, glad to see you doing better, with two kids your better off with the wagon, my kids love mine, in for updates
    Yeah no doubt buddy this car is very practical w/ the kids

Here's a couple of pics I missed when I did the speaker upupgrade

Had to modify the speaker wires since OEM wasn't a plug and play, all I did was sauder in the speaker wire provided w/ new speakers, did this to all 4 speakers

461.jpg

Found warranty book and owners manuel (too bad owners manuel had a piece cut out)

462.jpg

463.jpg

A look at new speakers on speaker pods (still have to install grills so it don't look ghetto)

464.jpg

465.jpg

Engine bay shots, not have bad looking considering the age of the car

466.jpg

467.jpg

Was up set that I couldn't use the OEM Honda speaker grills (still have something in mind to try and modify them to fit)

468.jpg

The big surprise came when I dropped my phone under the passenger seat when I went to get it low and behold I found under seat storage tray (I looked for it under driver seat when I 1st got car and I didn't see one so I assumed it didn't have one

469.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Love the progress! That's pretty ridiculous how you found the goodies. I wish that could magically apear in my car.:|
  • Damn! nice find with the tray, this is a good looking RT
  • JesseCRXJesseCRX Council Member
    This car is in excellent shape! Got quite a few goodies with it too!
    Roofrack, speaker pods and underseat storage? WIN!
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Wagons welcome all! I'm glad to hear you are going in a direction you like.
    WOW love at first sight, I wish people would build more wagons that look like this

9640386f3b9560fa4f175e491b63432e_zps609f2012.jpg
    Not much of an anything going on just moved to a new place once I get settled in I might start buy some random parts, one thing I do love is the space the wagon has here it is filled with my collection of shoes

419.jpg
    What's up everybody long time no see, well I had a little misshap with the wagon in April of 2013, to make a long story short I was driving home from work an old lady cuts me of which sends me into the center divider and caused this

Flat tire & bent rim
    14.jpg

bent driver side front suspension
    15.jpg

16.jpg

After the incident my job really started to pick up, I started working 75-90hrs a week 6 days on, 1 day off, which didn't leave me much time for anything, I have a G/F and 2 daughters ages 2 & 3 and like to spend what little time I have off with them, due to the circumstances I began to loose interest in the wagon, I just didn't have the time to fix it, so I put it for sale at near market value (which is high) I think put it this way because part of me didn't wanna get rid of it, any time someone would come close to taking it I would find an excuse to not sell, finally I decided to take it off the market and it sat for a long time, about 2 weeks ago I decided it was time to put it together again so I bought

used steering Knuckle

17.jpg

new LCA
    18.jpg

New battery
    19.jpg

New tires (nothing fancy) Falken Ziex [URL="tel:912 205/50"]912 205/50[/URL]/15

20.jpg
    to install onto an old pair of rims that I've had lying around for years
    SprintHart R's
    21.jpg

So tomorrow if all goes as planned (one can only hope) here's what's on the agenda, cars already been dropped of at a friends house who will do the work for me, go check how it's going, do an oil change on the wagon, take rims to tire place to have tires installed, once the work is done on wagon and if nothing else is bent or screwed up take car to get an alignment, take on test drive, get a smog check

one last look at the wagon, hopefully the last time it looks this plain
    22.jpg
    Saturday things didn't exactly go as planned, got the tires installed

103.jpg

As for the work on the wagon well turns out the subframe is bent (wasn't expecting this) so now I have to find one, my question is are subframe between ef's interchangble in to the wagon (CRX, Hatch, Sedan)? Or 2wd in 4wd? Any info would be much appreciated
    Some times things just don't go as planned, so after last weeks little mishap I hope to get the wagon back on the road by the end of the week

first of here's the damage to the subframe
    283.jpg

went and got a bare subframe at the junkyard
    284.jpg

also the driver side axle has needed to be replaced since I got the car so I picked one up
    285.jpg

I just hope things go smoother this week than they did last week and hopefully back on the road soon
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    To answer your question a little late, yes all 4th gen steering crossmembers interchange. BUT... They are manual or power steering specific.

Look closely at front crossmember and radius rod. Also front left apron where crossmember bolts up. In any "EF" with wheel positioned like yours, that's the likely culprit.
    @Bam-bam you Sir are correct, you know wagons oh too we'll, would have been nice to know a couple days ago lol. As Bam-bam just mentioned I learned this the hard way and got a manual rack when I need a power steering one, this is where my friend who worked on the car came to the rescue, he switched everything over and said everything lined up except for two brackets, he happend to have the manual brackets put them on and everything worked

Here's some pics so you can see the size difference in brackets, as you can see they have diffent mounting point do to size difference

309.jpg

310.jpg

Also bought all the drive belts since they weren't in great shape

311.jpg

So finally my friend finished took the wagon out for a test drive everything was working fine and drove relitively straight for not having an alignment yet

Took her to a quick car wash to wash off all dirt, filth, and grime that got on it over the 11 months it sat

312.jpg

heres a day time pic from this morning

313.jpg

but I do still have a couple of small issues to take care off, the passenger side axel also needs to be replaced (it's been ordered and payed for) and I believe the driver side radius rod and possibly the front crossmember may be slightly bent so I have to either change those or possibly buy an aftermarket traction bar (does any one have any positive or negative expirences with traction bars?)
    Passenger side axle finally came in today after a long wait, hopefully I can get it on today

433.jpg

i also found my old CTR shift boot from my old project car, and with a little bit of thinkering around I got installed

434.jpg