does RT4wd require funky front suspension parts? need help finding new assembly.

I need to replace the front suspension in my RT4wd 1990 (right one is leaking, left one has broken coil). My car is at a shop&the mechanic just called me and said he couldn't find anything to replace them, aftermarket. I'm on the road and not had time to 1)do this work myself or 2) find the parts. Is there something funky about the 4wd model's suspension? What do you all recommend for replacing those. I just got a new engine and I'm hoping to be riding on this rig for years to come! (*and if anything, I'll be looking to lift the whole car sometime, so if there's any assembly that is compatible with that, down the road (so to speak) I'd opt for that one.

Thanks,
Sharon

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I wouldn't think tbat there's anything special about the stock parts. Maybe the spring is stiffer to carry the weight of the 4wd goodies?

Look at Majestic Honda or the like to compare and price parts.
  • 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    First off, I'm guessing your meaning you struts/shocks. because you can buy them at any auto parts store. just make sure they are for the wagon, as far as the lift, I can be no help with that.
  • 90 RT4WD (Cody)90 RT4WD (Cody) Senior Wagonist
    Yes all the wagons take the same struts, but the 4wd's are a bit stiffer and .80'' higher.
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    Any 88-91 Civic front strut will work.Do a search there are a lot of threads on lifting(4+).
    Check ,"SiWagon & clsmooth Suspension Upgrades" & "Lifting a Wagon for Dummies" under quicklinks above.
  • CamoCivicCamoCivic New Wagonist
    Thanks for the tips. I found some good parts that will work. Struts are the same, yes. It's the coils that are different--stiffer, and slightly different size-just for the 4wd. Should be good to go now--I hope nothing else falls off/breaks/leaks for a while.