door handle tear down

I can't seem to figure out how to tare apart the door handles. I'm going to paint mine, and want to take off the handle for best results.

I'm sure there's a trick. But it's too late to text bam-bam (lol) and I REALLY want to know by the morning when I prep mine.

I'll post pictures when I get to the shop tomorrow, if need be.

Thanks!

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    You mean take the handle off the door, or take the handle itself apart?
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    The handle itself...

I guess I could have texted you lol
  • 90shuttle90shuttle Senior Wagonist
    I'll be needing this info as well!
    I've never taken the handle apart. Why would you?
    bam-bam wrote:
    I've never taken the handle apart. Why would you?

paint
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    I don't believe they come apart charb. The eat way to do it is to open the handle fully an keep it open when you paint it. That way you can get both top and bottom and inside of the handle it's self. It's a pain but that's how I did it when I was painting in the body shop.
    Just dip it in the paintcan, then hang to dry!
    bam-bam wrote:
    Just dip it in the paintcan, then hang to dry!

lol

They definitely come apart. It's the only way you can make the rear handles work up front.

I'll post some pics when I get to the shop in an hour or so.
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    I know what yer trying to do i wanted to take mine apart years ago to put keyless handles up front but that lil round clip was impossible for me to do. in for a solution. nice to see your taking such great detail in painting my future car haha
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    is this for the inner or outer handle?
  • tm0n3ytm0n3y Band Wagon
    Are you wanting to tear the handle its self apart?? I think that's what your asking.. I have and ill tell you its nor worth it just to paint it.. just lift the handle paint it.. it will come out just as good.... I broke 3 differnet rear handle fromm the junk yard trying take them apart.. there basically made to go together then break if you need them apart.. the plastic little sleeve peice that goes aroung the gold bar that holds that bar in the handle & actuates the handle basicly will break then you can get it out.. when you put it back together you can jimmy another sleeve outa something but all in all its not worth it... :( good luck on whatever you decide to do.. but IMHO I would just lift handle and paint it and or spend alittle time masking it...

Ps I did rear handle in the front so I have no key holes and love the way it looks.. had to door keyless entry but since I own a car audio bussiness and install keyless entry on a regular basis it was easy to do... I think a cool looking mod! :)