My Wagon Drives Fine But Shuts Off Every Now and Then...

Hi guys, I am having a problem with my 89 Civic wagon. The car drive just fine and like every two weeks or so, the car shuts down while driving. It cracks and cracks but it does not start. The engine seems to start but it does not. After a little while (around 10 minutes) the car stars right up and nothing happends until one or two weeks later where the wagon does the same. This is driving me crazy!! Especially the last time in which I had my kids and wife in the wagon and I was driving in the highway.... Any ideas guy????

In addition, I could hear the main relay clicking when the problem happends but my wagon does not start still.

Updates 04/28/2012:
I resoldered all of the main relay joints. I hope that this solves the problem.

743.jpg

Update 06/03/2012: It is crazy. Yesterday (06/02/2012) my Wagon did not want to start after a 19 mile trip and after it was sitting down for about 45 minutes after the trip. It cranked and cranked until it started. Then I drove around 5 miles and my wagon died on me while driving. I pulled to a side cranked it and cranked until my wagon turned back on and drove for about 30 miles without a problem. As a matter of fact, my wagon kept on driving just fine after that…
I thought that re-soldering the joints on my main relay would have solved this little issue. The problem stopped for quite of time but it is not solved as I thought. What could this be!!! Help guys!!!

Update 06/23/2012: I installed a new main relay. However, the car died on me while I was doing 55 mph in the highway. I checked the distributor and there was NOT spark.... After waiting half hour, the wagon started normally... this is crazy!!!

Update 06/27/2012: I installed a new distributor. I am going to drive it and see what happends!

Update 07/08/2012: I have driven a lot of miles now and the wagon has NOT shut down anymore after changing the dristributor for a new one! :-)

Comments

• spede18spede18 Wagonist
    I use to have a truck a long time ago that use to do this but never really looked into the problem but I can vouch for it being a royal PITA at times.

Now that I know more about cars and what makes them click first few things I would try are when it happens take a screw driver or wrench and hit your starter with it while someone tries to start it for you, to see if that makes it start if it does then your starter is going out. Another thing you can do is take a ratchet with you and when it happens pull your plugs to make sure your getting spark on all of them if not then go from there and check the dizzy and plugs.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    It sounds like a main relay issue, take it out and resolder all the joints.
  • sofastsofast New Wagonist
    It could be the fuel relay undrer the driverside dash above the kick panel. It should say mitsuba on it. Many of my 88-91 civics have had that problem.

929.jpg
  • humorwvphumorwvp Wagonist
    Main relay. Get a new one.
  • ReaccionReaccion Senior Wagonist
    spede18 wrote:
    I use to have a truck a long time ago that use to do this but never really looked into the problem but I can vouch for it being a royal PITA at times.

Now that I know more about cars and what makes them click first few things I would try are when it happens take a screw driver or wrench and hit your starter with it while someone tries to start it for you, to see if that makes it start if it does then your starter is going out. Another thing you can do is take a ratchet with you and when it happens pull your plugs to make sure your getting spark on all of them if not then go from there and check the dizzy and plugs.

Thank you for replying. I do not think that the problem is the starter because it cracks normally but it does not start... I will check on the distributor spark though... This is a little hard to trouble shoot because the problem does not happend frequently...
    Grifty wrote:
    It sounds like a main relay issue, take it out and resolder all the joints.

I have an spare main relay. I will just change it to play safe. Thanks...
    sofast wrote:
    It could be the fuel relay undrer the driverside dash above the kick panel. It should say mitsuba on it. Many of my 88-91 civics have had that problem.

929.jpg

Wow, nice picture. Thanks... I will check on that as soon as I can... There is a rainny day today here in New York :-(
    humorwvp wrote:
    Main relay. Get a new one.

Wow, everyone is pointing out to the same main relay issue. I will defenetely change it.
    In addition, I could hear the main relay clicking when the problem happends but my wagon does not start still.
  • sofastsofast New Wagonist
    It has a couple circuits ran through it so it will click when you turn the key. The starter signal, fuel, and i think dizzy is ran through that relay. So you may here the starter sig clicking but the fuel portion of the relay may be overheating
    sofast wrote:
    It has a couple circuits ran through it so it will click when you turn the key. The starter signal, fuel, and i think dizzy is ran through that relay. So you may here the starter sig clicking but the fuel portion of the relay may be overheating

Wow! I see... So, what are the recommendations? Resoldering it or get another one?
  • definitely try the main relay. The next step would be to try an ignition coil.

And if you have access to a soldering gun, go that route. It would save you around $50.
    black_89gt wrote:
    definitely try the main relay. The next step would be to try an ignition coil.

And if you have access to a soldering gun, go that route. It would save you around $50.

Great! Yes, I actrually own a soldering gun. I can not wait to solder those joints! ignition coils are also very cheap... Thanks for replying!
  • No problem. Can you hear your fuel pump priming when you turn the key to "on" position? It will be a whirring sound for around 1-2 seconds. If you do your main relay should be fine, but it doesn't hurt to resolder them.
    black_89gt wrote:
    No problem. Can you hear your fuel pump priming when you turn the key to "on" position? It will be a whirring sound for around 1-2 seconds. If you do your main relay should be fine, but it doesn't hurt to resolder them.

I see. Well actually, when my wagon dies, it is like first the wagon looses power and then shuts downs... Then cracks and cracks but it does not start... Cracks, cracks and it does not start... Then, after sitting for about 5 minutes, it will start up like if nothing happened and run for another 4 or 7 days later where the wagon does the samething :(
  • Well, I kinda had the same problem. My car would not start some times and crank but not turn over then wait for a few minutes and then start. But one day it died on me on the interstate and wouldn't start again, even after I replaced the main relay. But in your case, you can just resolder the points on your main relay for free and if that doesn't fix it, then you can spend the money and replace the coil. If it isn't the coil then you have a different problem. lol

Just FYI, its crank not crack
    black_89gt wrote:
    Well, I kinda had the same problem. My car would not start some times and crank but not turn over then wait for a few minutes and then start. But one day it died on me on the interstate and wouldn't start again, even after I replaced the main relay. But in your case, you can just resolder the points on your main relay for free and if that doesn't fix it, then you can spend the money and replace the coil. If it isn't the coil then you have a different problem. lol

LOL... Soryy about the bad "Crack-Crank" spelling.... Yes, I actually resoldered the main relay joints... I hope that solves the problem :)
    black_89gt wrote:
    Well, I kinda had the same problem. My car would not start some times and crank but not turn over then wait for a few minutes and then start. But one day it died on me on the interstate and wouldn't start again, even after I replaced the main relay. But in your case, you can just resolder the points on your main relay for free and if that doesn't fix it, then you can spend the money and replace the coil. If it isn't the coil then you have a different problem. lol

So, what was your problem with your wagon then????
  • It was my ignition coil. I'm thinking it was that all along, it just finally got bad enough to where it cut out on me. Once I replaced that I was good to go.
    black_89gt wrote:
    It was my ignition coil. I'm thinking it was that all along, it just finally got bad enough to where it cut out on me. Once I replaced that I was good to go.

I was also think about the same thing. I actually opened my ignition but ignition coil looked just fine and clean (Original TEC one). Of course you could not trust electrical parts just by the look of them.... I already resoldered the main relay joints... Let's just see what happends next!
  • Ignition coil is inside distributor
    black_89gt wrote:
    Ignition coil is inside distributor

Yes, I know. I actually opened the distributor and checked the ignition coil, rotor, rotor cap... They looked fine... but like I said, you can not tell if the electrical parts are good or not by just looking at them....
    Like I said, I resoldered my main relay joints and so far so good... I will keep you guys up to date of any changes....

743.jpg
  • imdbuiimdbui New Wagonist
    Keep us posted in a week or so. My car just stalled on the highway and it wouldnt start up again, pretty sure it was the main relay bc I couldn't hear the "click" from the relay when I turned the key, also my fuel pump wasn't priming. 10mins later it "clicked" and started fine.

I've had starting problems bc of the relay before, but never has it stalled on me while driving. So its either time for a new relay or to bust out my soldering iron.
    imdbui wrote:
    Keep us posted in a week or so. My car just stalled on the highway and it wouldnt start up again, pretty sure it was the main relay bc I couldn't hear the "click" from the relay when I turned the key, also my fuel pump wasn't priming. 10mins later it "clicked" and started fine.

I've had starting problems bc of the relay before, but never has it stalled on me while driving. So its either time for a new relay or to bust out my soldering iron.

I see... I am sorry to hear that. I actually did not want to get a new main relay. Rebult ones are just resoldered. I rather resolder the main relay myself instead of paying for it..... I have not had any problems after I resoldered the joints on my main relay. I have not drive the wagon that much but so far so good. However, I will keep you posted!
    I drove around 60 miles today and so far no problems... I will keep you guys updated though!
    Update: It is crazy. Yesterday (06/02/2012) my Wagon did not want to start after a 19 mile trip and after it was sitting down for about 45 minutes after the trip. It cranked and cranked until it started. Then I drove around 5 miles and my wagon died on me while driving. I pulled to a side cranked it and cranked until my wagon turned back on and drove for about 30 miles without a problem. As a matter of fact, my wagon kept on driving just fine after that…
    I thought that re-soldering the joints on my main relay would have solved this little issue. The problem stopped for quite of time but it is not solved as I thought…. What could this be!!! Help guys!!!
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Reaccion wrote:
    I thought that re-soldering the joints on my main relay would have solved this little issue. The problem stopped for quite of time but it is not solved as I thought…. What could this be!!! Help guys!!!

I solder everything. Was real big into car stereo when I was younger, and got into the habit of always doing it.

A few months back a friend of mine was having obvious main relay issues. I soldered his main relay in an attempt to fix. And the problem continued.

Knowing still that we had what appeared to be an obvious main relay failure. He went ahead and bought a new one.

Problem fixed.

Not knocking your ability to solder, but it's very possible that you put a band aid on a big cut. We don't all have a bunch of extra cash just laying around. So I understand wanting to fix it on the cheap. But if you get the chance to skip taking your old lady on a date one Friday night, and fork out the $60 for a new main relay- I would. It's one less thing to worry about. Especially moving in to summer...
  • One more suggestion, if a new main relay doesn't solve it...

It could be a problem with the ignitor, also known as the Ignition Control Module (ICM). I've had a few bad ones in my old EF hatch. And again in my del Sol. The typical symptoms would be that the car would start and run fine normally, but then once it gets nice and hot, it will shut off randomly and not crank back up. just turn over but not fire. If i let the car set and cool for a while (about 15 to 30 minutes usually), then it would start right back up, no problems.

The issue is that the ICM will sometimes start to go bad, and when its relatively cool it operates fine, but once it gets too hot, something in it shorts out or something, and you won't get a good spark. Sometimes there will be no spark at all, and other times it's just a weak sporadic spark. This really threw me off because when I checked for spark it LOOKED like i was getting spark on all 4 cylinders!

Anyway, I wish you luck. My advice would be try to find a friend close by with the same engine as you so you can borrow parts to troubleshoot it. Much cheaper than buying all new parts one at a time. I have a buddy near me and sometimes we'll just switch distributors or whatever part is in question, and then play the game "who breaks down first?"
    Charb1618 wrote:
    Reaccion wrote:

I solder everything. Was real big into car stereo when I was younger, and got into the habit of always doing it.

A few months back a friend of mine was having obvious main relay issues. I soldered his main relay in an attempt to fix. And the problem continued.

Knowing still that we had what appeared to be an obvious main relay failure. He went ahead and bought a new one.

Problem fixed.

Not knocking your ability to solder, but it's very possible that you put a band aid on a big cut. We don't all have a bunch of extra cash just laying around. So I understand wanting to fix it on the cheap. But if you get the chance to skip taking your old lady on a date one Friday night, and fork out the $60 for a new main relay- I would. It's one less thing to worry about. Especially moving in to summer...

You are right. It is actually $69.27 for a new OEM Honda main relay (Part number 39400-SH3-003). I always do what you guys suggest me first. You are the wagon experts. A couple members suggested me to re-solder the joints. I also was looking online and I noticed that many of the remanufactured main relays were re-soldered used. Plus I had a little experience soldering so I went for it. It seems that my job was not successful so I will definitely go for the new one.

Besides my wagon, I own a 2006 Civic Ex 4 door. When it comes to buy parts for it, I always go brand new OEM Honda. But I feel that the wagon world is different to me. I do not think that is fun just to buy new. I like to do the work myself and investigate everything before doing anything to my wagon. That is when the fun begins to me… However if I decided to get my old lady on a date one Friday night, I would have to take her in my other car not to have to tow my wagon back home LOL!!