1953 Chevy Suburban Rat Rod

Pick up this suburban a few years ago. Did a ton of rust repair, pulled off all the old suspension and installed a Mustang II style front cross member with independent suspension and disc brakes. Installed lower rear leaf springs (with I had gone with a ladder bar set-up) and 9-inch Ford rearend. I dropped in a used Chevy 350 V8 motor and turbo 400 transmission. The brake system is the combination of parts from about 4 different types of cars and the steering column is out of a 70s Chevy van. So basically nothing is stock. It has completely new wiring and seats are from a 90s Ford Aerostar van. I covered them in a combination of Mexican blanket/ duct cloth (my sewing skills aren't great, but the job is adequate). It still needs exhaust, and recently I cracked a head, so it is currently out of commission, but I look forward to getting it back on the road when I'm not working on the civic.

I'll be adding more pictures a few at a time. First is some of the rust repair.

Comments

• philkmilphilkmil New Wagonist
    More rust repair and suspension partially installed.
    Engine in. Impala steering wheel. Chevy van steering column. Gas tank filler off of 80s Chevy pickup. Shorted rear bumper. Wiring done. Gas tank out of an 80s Chevy Blazer. 9-inch Ford rearend in.
  • That is really, really cool!
    I certainly appreciate the don't crush 'em mantra...

....I thought I had rust problems!!!
    Some more photos of the interior and exterior progress.
    Some more interior work, and the making of my custom bumper by cutting off the pieces of a rear and front bumper and welding them together :) I also modified some chevy car bumper gaurds to fit the new bumper and filled the old tail-light hole in the back door. Includes a shot of the disc brakes and of my custom welded chain door handle.
    Creating custom bumper brackets for the front bumper. Adding a "V" from a Cadillac to serve as my rear licensee plate light. Pulling the head when a few cylinders failed a leak-down test after the rig was running rough :/ (found out the head was cracked). And then a few pictures with the front bumper and guards installed.
    And here are a few videos. Halfway through the first one are some shots of it actually driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2pgYUFvqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS3fF4eIH_I
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Nice work. Reminds me of our local Fire Department's baby:

http://www.mariettaga.gov/departments/e ... rolet.aspx

Sorry, I don't know how to just drop in the pic :oops:
  • Definitely some nice body work going on there. Love seeing people saving these old cars and trucks.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Nice project!!
    My first car was a 72 suburban.
  • 666DAN666DAN Wagonist
    Wicked project! I love it!

It would be awesome if we had more access to old american iron here in NZ, theres some but its so damn expensive!
  • ThaClutcHThaClutcH Senior Wagonist
    I love it man. I've been debating about selling/parting out my wagon and picking up a project like this. It's so awesome.
  • wyld kardz ee2wyld kardz ee2 Senior Wagonist
    Looks good I want to pick up a older Cab Over Engine myself.
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    that is sick!
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    Forgot to mention theres a baskin robins on mcloughlin in gladstone with a nice silver one out front.