extended lug woes

so i cant figure out how to install the extended lug studs i got for my ef wagon heres where i got to so far.
229.jpg
230.jpg
ive tried beating on the back of it with a mini sludge and nothing happens. i dont want to keep going that route because im afraid i might damage it.. am i missing sometihng?
this is really pissing me off because ive done almost everything else to this car but i cant figure out how to take the damn hubs off . and ive been sick so its more stressful and annooying than not being sick and working on it.

any input would be helpful thanks

Comments

• Put a spacer (stack of washers) and a lug nut on the stud, then tighten to pull it in.
  • JayTeeJayTee Wagonist
    Hubs need to be pressed out, lugs pressed in, hub pressed back into knuckle.

Take to machine shop or buy a press. Spot weld the backside of the lug too for good measure.
  • Yup everything needs to be pressed. I would just take your knuckles to a shop and let them handle it, might as well have them install new wheel bearings also while there are at it.

The washer and lug nut trick works well but it looks like you don't have the room to slide the old ones out and the new ones in.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    yeah ^ thanks i guess my front knuckle will get an overhaul this spring. -.-
  • mtbikerTimtbikerTi Band Wagon
    If those are the new studs on there now just grease the threads and use the lug nut/washer method. Using a press is easier, but having to take the whole knuckle off to do it isn't worth it.
    the studs in the picture are the stock stripped damaged ones the new ones i got are extended
  • mtbikerTi wrote:
    If those are the new studs on there now just grease the threads and use the lug nut/washer method. Using a press is easier, but having to take the whole knuckle off to do it isn't worth it.

^ this..you can grease the threads and just use the nut/washer method...takes a little bit of elbow grease

I had to do this on my car before the wagon...i just used a nut with washer and extended socket
  • JayTeeJayTee Wagonist
    Thought I would add this as well, but would not recommend.

You can take a small grinder (dremel or equal) and grind one spot on the knuckle to where you have enough clearance to remove the studs and install new. To seat them use the stacked washer and nut trick (do not recommend as it can over torque and stretch the lug and cause premature failure). I have seen it done in the past with guys looking for the easy way out.

Note, you will need to remove or cut the dust shields. Again, wouldn't recommend but it has been done.
  • PavementwagoPavementwago Senior Wagonist
    Take to les schwab they press the hub out fairly cheap and will put the new studs in
    it sucks this is whats holding me back from driving..
    does any one reccomend using extended studs that arent ARP ? i bought these but i got my tax refund and im wondering if i should just skip on these and try to sell them and buy quality arps or if it even matters.. lol
  • If you are planing to run extended studs for aggressive driving/different wheels or spacers, you can not go wrong with quality products(ARP). If they are just for factory replacement then you are okay.
    i do some spirited driving but nothing to serious any more. im more worried about the alluminum lug nuts now lol
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-91-HONDA-CIV ... 5441wt_905

heres the ones i bought they said their made with the same shit as ARP

ARP head-treated 8740 chromemoly wheel studs are a much-needed replacement for any car engaged in oval track or drag racing competition. They have a tensile strength of 190,00

"the Vision Motorworks Forged Racing Extended Wheel Studs are Manufactured of High Quality heat threated 8740 Steel Chrome Moly and they have a tensile Strengh of 197,000 Psi . The Wheel studs then are black Cadnium Plated for a Long lasting Finish and Durability ."
  • Damn that is a really good price too.