14" tire size?

I purchased a set of BMW bottle caps earlier this year. The kid I bought them off had spray painted them this flat army green color and it totally wasn't working on Debra. I'm currently stripping the paint and I got some Dupli-color white wheel paint. Should look decent seeing as how Debra is also white. But any way, I'm currently sitting on my 175/70R13 steelies. The bottle caps came with 195/65R14. I feel like its a massive tire, it rubbed every where and they were way out of balance. Felt like the car was gonna shoot off the road going 60mph. The tires are in good shape, but I just don't think they are the right fit, plus I needed them off to strip the paint and repaint them. So I'm just about ready to get some tires. I don't want low profile, because the looks dumb and I don't want a ton of side wall. A 215/50R14 looks like it won't throw off my speedo either. You think this tire would look okay? I hate changing wheel sizes, always get confused by the tire sizes. Any help would be great. Looking to get the tires at the end of they year, after Xmas.

Comments

• AlphaxomegaAlphaxomega Senior Wagonist
    I got 14 integra mesh rims, and im having the same problem lol.
    Might just go with 195/60-65/14 Falkens.
    Idk they are only ones i see on CL for decent price for full thread.
  • Well I've got the money for new tires, plus I get a discount at discount tire :). I've used this before and it seems to work well http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html . I'll let you know what I end up getting, but I'm not gonna do anything until the end of the year. Good luck man.
  • IMO, 195/60-14 is the 'sweet spot' between ride quality, looks, handling, etc. Plus, there are a LOT of options to choose from in that size.
  • ZachZach Band Wagon
    I dont think 215/50/14 is an actual size. At least not one that is readily available.

I've had 195/60/14s and 185/60/14s on my old wagon and both worked out good. But like mentioned above, 195/60/14 has a ton of options.

Good luck.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Can I ask a semi-related question?

What is the stock 14" size for a DelSol Si? My wifes is an S model with the 13s, but I got her some minifatfives restored.
  • jpciii wrote:
    IMO, 195/60-14 is the 'sweet spot' between ride quality, looks, handling, etc. Plus, there are a LOT of options to choose from in that size.

I'm gonna agree with you, after doing some more poking around on the internet (mainly BMW forums). Looks like that was the tire size most of them were running. Lord knows Debra can use all the help she can get in the ride department. Looks like the weather is going to agree with me today. I finished cleaning the wheels last night and got them all taped up and ready for paint. She's gonna look good for 2012. Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll stick up some pictures once I get some tires on them.
  • ZachZach Band Wagon
    bam-bam wrote:
    Can I ask a semi-related question?

What is the stock 14" size for a DelSol Si? My wifes is an S model with the 13s, but I got her some minifatfives restored.

185/60/14
  • E30 originally came with 195/65-14, but most owner switched over to 60 series for cost and availibility.
    Just get it rebalanced, if your trying to to save money. If not, I like to run 185/65-14 on BMW bottle caps.
    I do have another set of 195/60-14. I find 185/65-65 are more accurate to actual speed and have better gas mileage.
    But its all personal on how you want your car to look and ride.

Good luck.
  • I love this forum. It's not endless hate, but actual help.
    Thanks again!
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Good info here. It looks like I'll be following what been suggested here when I buy 14" tires.

One speculative question, though: Without modifying the wheel wells (rolling, etc) or suspension (raising OR lowering) how "big" a fourteen inch tire can fit into a DX Wagon's wells and still roll and turn without cutting up the tire or undue scrubbing?

The largest I've seen suggested here is 195/65R14 but what about 195/70R14?
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    I run 185-75r14

I like it taller... And, I like when it rubs!
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    DRMORTY wrote:
    I run 185-75r14

I like it taller... And, I like when it rubs!

this.
  • thestzathestza Wagonist
    hello. piggy-backing on this discussion as i'm looking to do something similar.

BF goodrich makes an all-terrain tire that i'm interested in (195/75/14):
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/truck-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko/tire-details#techspecs

y'all think it will fit? i should add that i'd be putting these on 14" civic HX rims (http://honda-tech.com/picture.php?albumid=11646&pictureid=19375), not the stock bottle-caps/steelies.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    thestza wrote: »
    hello. piggy-backing on this discussion as i'm looking to do something similar.

BF goodrich makes an all-terrain tire that i'm interested in (195/75/14):
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/truck-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko/tire-details#techspecs

y'all think it will fit? i should add that i'd be putting these on 14" civic HX rims (http://honda-tech.com/picture.php?albumid=11646&pictureid=19375), not the stock bottle-caps/steelies.

Will it fit?

Ya.

Not on those wheels you posted a link of. Because they're a 13" VX wheel. Not the 14" HX.
    thanks Charb,

i put the wrong pic up there... to confirm, the tires mentioned will be going on the 14" hx rims. should i expect a bit of rub on tight turns and bumps?
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    thestza wrote: »
    thanks Charb,

i put the wrong pic up there... to confirm, the tires mentioned will be going on the 14" hx rims. should i expect a bit of rub on tight turns and bumps?

I'm running the same size on my RT currently (maybe 185, I'll have to check) and have absolutely no problems. Lowered cars would be a different story.
    thanks Charb -- will be curious to see if they're 185's or 195.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    who has pix of these tire sizes on there rims???
    BillBoard wrote: »

seconded!!!
  • 493.jpg

(stock height)
    another follow-up... been digging around some more and have found some slightly conflicting information. to refresh, i'm trying to determine if 195/75-14 BF goodrich all terrain tires will fit on a stock RT suspension:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO

however, i recently came across CTM's post in the following thread:
    http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?1276-lifted-wagon&highlight=rally+tires
    CTM wrote: »
    I tried fitting a 195/75/14 because it was the smallest A/T tire i could find. It was way too big.

I now run R700 kumho rally tires in a 13" size... Mine is stock front right now with 89 Legend front springs in the rear.

so... has anybody fit a tire that size successfully?

thanks,
    s
    an update -- chit fits... kind of...

937.jpg

bfgeez, 195/75-14. they rub a little, but i kinda don't give a fudge -- all terrains BIDGE!!!
  • thestza wrote: »

bfgeez, 195/75-14. they rub a little, but i kinda don't give a fudge -- all terrains BIDGE!!!

that looks real good.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    in regards to BMW bottlecaps...

I have german rims (centra type II) on my wagon right now and there are 2 things you need to know.
    - they are not hub centric. the BMW bore is 1mm bigger. you probably won't find hub centric rings (57mm vs 56mm(
    - you need to switch out your acorn nuts for conical style nuts to center the rims via lug centric.
    otherwise may get vibration and the rims don't seat correctly.

i am picking up bottle caps this week and will run a 185/60/14.
  • thestza wrote: »

Is this at stock height??? And when does it rub? (while turning or while bumping up n down?) and whats the offset off your wheels?
  • yes he is at stock height. thats the pic i wanted to show you.
    BillBoard wrote: »

I went with 195/70R14s on repainted Mini-Fat Fives. Stock suspension, stock ride height. No scrubbing after the first day (there was some sort of plasticy doohickey in the right front wheel well that rubbed but I removed it.)

430.jpg
    429.jpg
    Is this at stock height??? And when does it rub? (while turning or while bumping up n down?) and whats the offset off your wheels?

hi FullThrottleFreak,

- the car is at stock height, yes.
    - the rub happens when the wheels are turned to their max (if the wheel is turned to the right, the left wheel will rub on a plastic cover -- it's not hitting the wheel well. same thing is true if the wheel is turned the left -- the right tire will rub). there isn't any rub when bumping up and down.

- regarding offset, i'm not certain to be honest... i'm running civic hx wheels with no spacers.

s
  • SwannRT4wdSwannRT4wd Band Wagon
    That looks awesome man! How do you love them now?
    SwannRT4wd wrote: »
    That looks awesome man! How do you love them now?
    I went with 195/70R14s on repainted Mini-Fat Fives. Stock suspension, stock ride height. No scrubbing after the first day (there was some sort of plasticy doohickey in the right front wheel well that rubbed but I removed it.)
    I don't know which of us you are asking, lol. I like 195/70R14 a lot and don't think I'd choose a smaller outside diameter. I might choose larger if I could make it work without doing anything illogical to the car to make it work like rolling the fenders, etc. I'm not one of the big wheel/little tire crowd. It may look pretty (if you like it) but is hard to live with on a daily driver.