core support **interchangability**

hey guys i had a quick question to ask...the p.o. hacked up my stock core support (dont know why) but i want to replace it with a new one. my question is if all ef core supports are the same??...i wouldnt wanna take off the old one without first knowing if any ef's would fit seeing that its so damn hard to find parts for a wagon...thanks

Btw I searched and I couldnt find a clear answer on it...

Comments

• dpt47zdpt47z New Wagonist
    ...nobody??
  • are you talking about the part that bolts onto the car? like goes from headlight to headlight and bolts down to the lower support?
    yes... it bolts on and is spot welded onto the frame

77.jpg

mines all effed up where the stock tabs are for the radiator so i wanted to buy a new one...but they dont specify if it also fits a wagon
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I really don't know, hmm.

Headlights and bumpers will interchange with light modding, so it seems like it would work.

edit: parts lookup showed me different part numbers.
    yea ive read that headlights and bumpers will interchange but im wondering about overal fitment...like where it actually mounts to the frame...spotwelds and bolts

part numbers on what bam??..core supports??
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    the core support which houses the hoodlatch mechanism that spans between the two headlight buckets it only bolted in. No spot welds.

Id go measure my teal hatchy for ya and compare to the wagon, but its out on loan, however, I did compare to my ef9 frontend hatch (for what its worth) and the span between the bottom bolts on the wagon setup and both measured 23 3/4". cant measure the bar that goes downward though. If theres a difference, my guess is it would be height on that piece.
  • danzdanz Wagonist
    i doubt it will work

for instance the cross member on a wagon is different than a hatch or crx.

bumpers are different. rebars are different, etc...
    wait, crossmembers are different??...im replacing my bent traction bar for a stock crossmember so i pulled on from a sedan at the junk yard...i thought crossmembers were the same on hatches, and sedans??...now im confused, imma be taking my car to the body shop tomorrow and i need to give them the crossmember and core support so i need to figure this out...dont have my access to my wagon right now so i cant post up measurements to compare...any help is appreciated
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    the front crossmember with the steering rack in it is the same, as i am running a sedan one on mine :P
    not sure about the one that houses the radius rods..

that T-bar (between headlight housings) is wagon specific as it says SH5 on mine.. so are the pieces that house the headlights that are spot welded. again, with some fabrication it could work. not sure how much would be needed however. the wagons are slightly narrower then a hatch or sedan.. though, it may not take much to "force" fit. :P
  • danzdanz Wagonist
    wagodizzle wrote:
    not sure about the one that houses the radius rods..
    thats the one im talking about. we recently tried to put darins drag car traction bar on his wagon (came off his ED) and it BOLTS UP, but the front mount is too low. also there is a small gap between where the stock bolts go that hold the stock traction bar (terrible description...)

we made a custom one for his wagon.
    heres a link i found on ebay for a core support...its confusing though cus is says it fits a 90 rt4wd but not a base wagon...and for 89 it will fit a base wagon??...mines a 90 and i didnt think there was a difference in core supports between a base or rt4wd??...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Radiator-Support-Core-Black-Honda-Civic-91-90-89-88-CRX-Auto-60400SH3A04ZZ-/230669281185?fits=Model:Civic&hash=item35b4f5e7a1&item=230669281185&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

i think maybe for now ill keep my stock core support until i really figure it out...but one thing still up in the air is the front crossmember which houses the radius rods...my traction bar bent so i wanna but the stock setup back on. just need a little more clarity on if a sedan crossmember will fit...or hatch too for that matter...have any of you done this??
  • danzdanz Wagonist
    for your rad support, if it says it will fit one wagon it should fit them all. but a hatch and wagon rad support will likely not be interchangeable.

rare cars are cool arent they?

good luck.

as for the cross member, a stock one might just bolt up. but a traction bar made for a hatch or crx wont bolt up. the location for the tow hooks is different. but using a stock cross member might work, since it doesnt use the 3 14mm bolts for the tow hooks.... the more i think about it the more i think a stock cross member might just work fine.

i wish i had pics of the mock up of the other traction bar on darins wagon, damn it pics are worth a thousand words.
    yea danz tell me about it...if replacement parts were available more easily my wagon would have a little more progress then it does right now. Ive decided just to leave the stock core support for now and just weld on some tabs to mount the stock radiator. I will also go ahead and try fitting the sedan crossmember this weekend and see how that goes too.

heres another pic of what im dealing with, sorry for the poor quality and thanks again for all the help...my goal is to get a new core support so imma do some measuring this weekend on the wagon and go to the junkyard and measure some hatches and sedans to see if theyre the same (core support).

175.jpg

as you can see the traction bar is at a wicked angle
  • if u ever find a solution to you dilema, let me know because im having the same issue
  • How hard was it to pull the current core support? I'm looking into doing this and I have a scrap wagon lined up.
  • Wow, its spot weilded in a billtion spots. I just sawzalled from the top of the fender to the bottom. Let the auto body guy do this.
  • datwagondatwagon Band Wagon
    Has anybody figured out if the hatch core support will work and if it doesnt what it would take to make it work?
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    datwagon wrote: »
    Has anybody figured out if the hatch core support will work and if it doesnt what it would take to make it work?

it looks like your cross member is bent to shit from that pic you have those are interchangable i took a ef sedan cross member with rad arms regardless id suggest getting one off a ef sedan take measurements of your bent to shit one and guesstimate how much space is missing from the bends and then add that to your measurement and compare it to the hatch/sedan models. goodluck
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Might as well put this here for future reference. I can confirm that a 90 civic sedan core support works with slight modifications.

Wagon support (Top) vs Sedan (Bottom) side view.
    751.jpg
    750.jpg
    Wagon support (Top) Vs Sedan support (Bottom) top view. Blue tape is the an outline of the wagons upper headlight tie bar. Sedans is longer but no worries. The hood latches as it should.
    749.jpg
    748.jpg
    In the first two pictures above you will see a bracket that holds the headlight in place in the headlight bucket area. Notice that the sedans bracket extends a little farther then the wagons. That bracket will have to be removed and replaced with the wagons in order for the headlight to sit correctly. You can also modify the original if you want. It has 2-3 welds holding it down.

Wagon bracket (Top) vs sedan bracket (Bottom) Top view.
    35.jpg
    37.jpg
    How I welded the bracket on to the sedan support.
    155.jpg
    You also need to modify where the 10mm bolts go through the upper headlight tie bar into the headlight bracket housing. I drilled 2 holes on the upper tie bar and used a reamer tool to make the holes wider so i could position the headlight.

Test fit of sedan core support.
    2.jpg