VTEC head on the ole D15?

Alright, I think I've pretty much decided against getting a motor for my car. I'm not much worried about going super fast, I'd just like a little more oooommp. I don't have the time nor the tools to correctly install a motor, and I hate half-assing stuff.. So I think I have decided to freshen up the D15 and hopefully get a little more power out of her with around $500.

I REALLY wanted a ZC with a 5speed, but there is no way to get engines and stuff around here, and shipping on motors is outragous.. So here is what I'm thinking about putting in the motor, and I would like to know if you guys think its a good idea..

Vtec Head
What head do you put on the D15? What all do you need to put it in? How do you put it in?

MPFI Swap
What parts do you need for a MPFI conversion, and what engine do they need to come from?

Piston and Rings, may need boring, I'm unsure.
What piston rings do ya'll reccomend? I've always ran Wiseco in my race bikes, but I don't know if cars are a different story.

Bigger Diameter Exhaust, with a gutted cat (no emissions in TN)
What size do you reccomend?

Now, I've wonered about cam pulleys, and underdrive pulleys, etc. How much power would I be looking at by putting in different pullys, and what are some good brands?

If I get enough money, I may go with FI as well, this is why I want to go ahead and get some new pistons and rings.

If anyone cares, I made a list of the stuff That I want to put into the Wagon, but I don't know if it will ever happend...

Exterior:
All red taillights
Black Halo Projectors with all amber corners
Police Interceptor Emblems (I'm going with a new theme for the car, you guys will have to wait and see)
Hood Pins (Ricey, I know, but they go with the theme)
1/2 Black Hatch, and maybe a black hood if it looks ok.

Interior:
Racing seats with 5-point harnesses
Oil, Boost, Voltage, Head Temp, Oil Temp, and Fuel Guages
Battery and Fuel shutoff switches (goes with theme)
Vtec Controller

Performance:
Sway Bars
4-wheel disc brakes (oversized)
Plug Wires

If You guys could help me out with any of this I would be VERY greatful! Also how much power would I be looking at with these mods, and is this a sensible choice?

Comments

• JDMshuttleJDMshuttle Senior Wagonist
    about 115 WHP dyno tuned if not FI. it is a mini me VTEC swap search HONDTECH. they always have treads on this swap. but i say save the money for a ZC sohc or DOHC you will have no probs there cant go wrong
    call up JIMMY @ ww.jprmotorsports.com
    motor $350
    Dist $100
    for ZC sohc

if you go sohc Vtec D15 this is what your going to need
    HEAD D16Z6 or Y8
    DPFI to MPFI
    OBD1 converison harness
    injectors
    Distributor D16z6 or y8
    P28 ECU
    Vtec AFC controller for timimg and fuel will be off 1 tooth
    Y8 head gasket
    Z6 timing belt
    CAM GEAR
    thats all i can think of
    this swap will be pretty expensive to piece together
  • you mean jprmotor.com??? jprmotorsports.com for me brings up some gaming website
  • What will I need to put in a DOHC ZC, and about how long will it take?

That seems like a lot of parts for the VTEC swap, when I could just put a motor in there with no tuning and have it make more power.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Kahuna wrote:
    What will I need to put in a DOHC ZC, and about how long will it take?

That seems like a lot of parts for the VTEC swap, when I could just put a motor in there with no tuning and have it make more power.

you'll need complete engine with wire harness, MPFI conversion (very easy, just swap around a couple wires and add about 4) shift linkage and DA axles. and since you are doing a AT -> MT swap, you'll need a MT pedal set. it should only take about 1 to 2 days, depending on if you know wut you're doing and if you have all the parts.

if someone could back me up on this: i believe there might be a couple other dumb things to mess with when it comes to AT -> MT wiring... :?:
    my bad its www.jprmotorsports.com and yes it can get a bit pricey
    ask 4 jimmy the d15bvtec is $350 FOR THE MOTOR ALONE
  • Well I think I'll just stick with the ZC.. few questions though..

Will it bolt to my stock AUTO tranny? Can I use the stock ECU?
    yes but i would get a auto pg7,pm7,pm6 or pr4 i had a auto ZC b4 this will work
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    you'll have to run a different ecu. pm7.....pm6 will work, but P has more experieince with that. he said it ran WAY better than the pm6
    duckie8310 wrote:
    you'll have to run a different ecu. pm7.....pm6 will work, but P has more experieince with that. he said it ran WAY better than the pm6
    do you think P has more experience then me? i just posted ECU"S that will work i have used all of them i find that a PR4 worked the best for my setup :wink:
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    before i posted, i didnt see that you replied already. if i known that you answered his question, then i wouldnt have answered.

and when i said P had more experience, i meant more experience than me. so dont get your panties in a bunch.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Also keep in mind that the fuel we run over here is different to that of the U.S. so i'm 100% positive you guys won't see the same results as me. I did do some research a while ago and came to the conclusion that the PG7 would be a better ECU for the fuel you run but didn't take into account the PR4, nor have i had any practical experience with the fuel the U.S. uses. Of the ECUs that i ahve tried, PM7 was the winner not only up the top but idling, smoothness and low down power.