Changing Tranny Fluid

I’m planning on changing the oil in my wagon next week and thought it would be good to go ahead and change the tranny fluid as well since I’ve only had the wagon for about a month and I don’t know when it was changed last.

I am familiar with changing the tranny fluid on a normal D series engine+tranny but it there anything special about changing the fluid for the RTAWD wagons?

Also, I hear good things about Pennzoil Synchromesh and was thinking about using it when I change the fluid, would this be a good or bad idea?

Comments

• quartersquarters Council Member
    not sure about if there is any difference, but USE HONDA FLUID. I can't stress that enough, honda transmissions like honda fluid. I have had first hand experience with lots of different kinds. GM MTF works second best.
  • So there shouldn't be any difference in the RTAWD than a normal Civic? Also, this might sound stupid but do you also change the fluid in the rear diff? I've never had an AWD car or even a RWD car so I don't know anything about it.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    On the RT4WD, transmission fluid is replaced the same way as regular gearboxes. For the Rear diff, i am about to do the same very soon but i am unsure how to drain and replace the fluid. I'm also researching Honda DPS fluid so i'll get yah back when i know more.
  • Would anybody happen to have the service manual for the wagon that could take a picture or scan the part that tells you how to change the rear diff fluid?
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    ill look in my book and see what it says. my buddy just got himself a pimp ass scanner so i should be able to get a good pic of it for ya. and YES changing the tranny fluid is the same as a fwd d-series tranny so no suprises there.
  • turbo_teg wrote:
    ill look in my book and see what it says. my buddy just got himself a pimp ass scanner so i should be able to get a good pic of it for ya. and YES changing the tranny fluid is the same as a fwd d-series tranny so no suprises there.

Thanks, I know how to do the tranny fluid it's just the rear diff I'm not sure about.
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    its super easy theres 2 plugs on the rear diff remove the bottom one drain out the old fluid put that plug back in then remove the upper one and fill it with 90w unless u live where its colder than a mofo' then put 80w in till it starts to pour out the hole then put the plug back in. if u can change tranny and engine fluids u can change the diff fluid its super easy.