SOHC ZC VTEC vs. DOHC ZC Non-VTEC

I'm trying to figure out what I want to put in my car, I think I've decide on a ZC since they are so simple to put in. I just can't decide which to get though.

SOHC VTEC or DOHC non-VTEC?

I love SOHC motors, I can tune them pretty well, since they are pretty plain.

I drove a 1.6 VTEC Del Sol the other night and it was awesome, and you could feel the VTEC kick in around 4,000RPMs to redline. So I love the way the VTEC feels.

Which is the better motor? Does the SOHC VTEC make as much power as the DOHC?

Does the SOHC ZC even have VTEC, or is that just for D-Series?

Is this a good deal?
http://www.jdm-online.com/index.php?mai ... 316a0afe32

Comments

• wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    yea thats a pretty good deal. it would be easier to go with the DOHC ZC as you wouldn't need to do fancy wiring for the VTEC. unless you can of course. i believe the SOHC VTEC has the same HP as the DOHC... so i just got to know a guy down here that can get and install a B16A into a 4th Gen for about $1500. that includes the engine AND labor. so you might want to just take a trip down here and stick around savannah a little bit till he gets the swap into your car. also he could do a AT to MT swap as well. :D this way you would get VTEC AND DOHC. :idea: so anywho.
  • I have both motors sitting in my garage right now and am too wondering which would be the best. I like the idea of the SOHC VTEC better and heard it was a pretty straight forward head swap. This would cut down me having to pull the complete motor out. I heard that the only wiring would be hooking up a vtec controller to get the vtec to work. I have been reading and reading and reading. Wouldn't the SOHC VTEC be the best for tuning opportunities?
  • JDMshuttleJDMshuttle Senior Wagonist
    ZC sohc non is the best for tuning if you go with Vtec your timing will be off 1 tooth but it will be really fast if tuned right but NON VTEC is what i choose and i have the HEAD for a VTEC swap but i dig the non vtec sound when built im just waiting to go OBD1 so i can get the HONDATA S200 or 300..
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    if it were my choice i'd go with the single slammer vtec. iono i drove my buddies dohc zc hatch and it didnt impress me to much i was hoping it to act a lot like an LS motor.
  • This is an oldddd discussion, so forgive my lack of enthusiasm.

First off, vtec on a sohc D series and a dohc B series are two completely different animals. The cam transition on a sohc vtec is almost unnoticeable.
    So don't opt for sohc vtec and expect the same kick in the pants you get with the dohc vtec.

For the sohc vtec and dohc zc, you get roughly the same power output but delivery characteristics are noticeably different. I've found that a sohc vtec to be a nice around town low-end cruiser.
    The dohc zc head design flows very well and it prefers the upper RPM range. Plus the two sprocket design allows the cams to be better dialed in should you ever get around to really tuning the engine.

The biggest issue with the sohc vtec is fuel map tuning/vtec activation...that adds additional complexity/cost to the project.
    The dohc ZC on the other hand only requires swapping a couple wires on the distributor and plugging in a PG7 or PM7 ecu.
  • allmotrwagnallmotrwagn New Wagonist
    if it were me i would find the d 16 y8 and use the p28 with the s300 and tune it... also if you are looking for the big motor vtec feel you can buy from comp cams a cam that will make a good hard hitting vtec i had one in my crx built this way i was running 9.40s in the 1/8th mile in a full interior crx with 18'sbut i juzt had a chipped ecu was chipped with chrome but thats just my .02 cents worth its all got to do with what you can do to get the most bang for your buck L8r Jeremy
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    just my two cents...but i would opt for the DOHC. the vtec is nice yeah, but if i were to do a swap, it'd be for the DOHC. that ZC is nice, and the added wiring for the vtec doesnt excite me too much. if you wanted a straight forward swap, go with the DOHC. power output is the same, as davens said, so it really comes down to if you want the low-end power or the high-end power.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I drove a SOHC ZC VTEC powered Civic the other day and i wasn't very impressed... I lurrrrve the sound of my DOHC ZC when i open it right up for a carbon blast.
  • anything under 150 horse or so seems slow i think cams and a header are a must on anything after having an LS in my wagon and driving a ZC hatch and a sohc vtec all wheel plus some otherones you
    must ask what it is that they want to accomplish
    the sohc vtec with a small list of mods is a decent
  • sic944t wrote:
    anything under 150 horse or so seems slow i think cams and a header are a must on anything after having an LS in my wagon and driving a ZC hatch and a sohc vtec all wheel plus some otherones you
    must ask what it is that they want to accomplish
    the sohc vtec with a small list of mods is a decent
    What?
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    well basically he's sayin anything under 150 hp is not worth it

the dohc zc is a nice motor but doesn't have as much aftermarket support as the sohc, retro motor. Good to tune like Davens said.
    Goto www.thezcresource.com to learn more about it...

Imo, the sohc has parts that are super cheap, 100x more abundant and if you blew it up they're ez to locate at the junkyard or online. Interchangability is much easier too.

my .02
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    If you are in the US then i'd say if you are after less headaches to go with the SOHC VTEC ZC as they have a sister engine with very similar parts (D16Z6?).
  • Pacifier wrote:
    If you are in the US then i'd say if you are after less headaches to go with the SOHC VTEC ZC as they have a sister engine with very similar parts (D16Z6?).

Same engine/identical parts, as far as I know.
    akiraboy wrote:
    Imo, the sohc has parts that are super cheap, 100x more abundant and if you blew it up they're ez to locate at the junkyard or online. Interchangability is much easier too.

While this a true statement, I think the whole no-dohc-zc-parts-support problem is blown way out of proportion. There isn't a maintenance or rebuild item that wasn't available domestically. You just need to know what to ask for and where to get it. That's documented at 1/2 dozen different zc support sites.
    To be fair, some of the core parts are not available domestically, but these aren't items that wear out or are intended to be replaced.
    But if you want cams, there are several choices. You want a header, no problem. Turbo kit...yeah, they can be found.

And there is a third, slightly cheaper sohc vtec option...the d15b vtec. It also makes 128 HP, courtesy of an aggressive vtec lobe. If you can stay out of vtec, the 1.5 delivers better mpg than the 1.6 engines.
    Just don't get caught up in web hype for 3stage vtec version. Talk about NO domestic support.
  • D15 nonVTEC just needs to breath. D16A6 cam, Y7/8 cam gear, D16Z6 intake, easy 15-20 whp bolt on using OEM parts. Slap on a AEM CAI and you've got 118 whp/135 chp from a 85 whp/102 chp stock rated motor.

Charles, 1 tooth off??? That would be installer error :) There is a 1/2 tooth difference (4.75 degrees cam) because decided to move the keyway around. Easiest to say that the 96-00 D16Y cams use a D15 cam indexing.
  • Mista Bone wrote:
    D15 nonVTEC just needs to breath. D16A6 cam, Y7/8 cam gear, D16Z6 intake, easy 15-20 whp bolt on using OEM parts. Slap on a AEM CAI and you've got 118 whp/135 chp from a 85 whp/102 chp stock rated motor.
    But for the price of that I can get a motor making the same amount of power that isn't on its last leg. (Mines burning oil like crazy)

I think It's DOHC ZC for me, I can't afford to have any more downtime than what I'll already have, this car is a daily driver.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    You won't regret the DOHC ZC. ;)
    SOHC ZC FTW
  • i love both z6 and the zc dohc. have you checked out hmotorsonline.com pretty good site and cheap and well known up here in alaska and one of the cheapest shipping for example 500.00 for some place else to be ship up here its only 300.00 dolars through them.
    if you nwant a single cam go to Jimmy @ www.jprmotorsports.com Steve is cool a HMO but price is kinda eh. tell Jimmy if you guys buy a SOHC that Gabe with the shuttle sent you he will hook it up