(EE/EY/EF) (98 Cents)Seat fold down knobs

so i know we all hate the tabs we have and how they always break off and that honda wants way too much money for a lil piece of plastic :evil: soo... i since my tabs were both broken i decided to think of an alternative. so i thought why not use a cabinet knob, so i went to the home depot and found some knobs for 98 cents, they are black, and screwed right on. they also dont stick out as far and are just about flush with the seat, so they wont catch at all when you fold the seat down. so here is the product/part number:

Home Depot
Liberty Hardware - Hammercraft Collection
P94500C-BL-C
# 5710

I thought I would share this with everyone, hope this helps some of you out.

Comments

• turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    i just orderd 4 knobs last night from honda 2 spares and 2 to replace my broken ones. they are $3.80 each but i wish i would have tried your idea out first..... oh well nice find tho'
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    well played! we need to see more of this mcgiver type stuff!

I always forget that everyone else DOESN'T have 2 parts cars...

Again, well played!
  • thanks everyone, if i find anymore of this type or stuff, i will be sure to post it! :D
  • What if the whole pully thing is broken from the bottom up ,i can not get to the metal rod
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    try it with a very long thing set of needle nose pliers. ht knobs screw onto the metal rods. see if there are any remnents of the plastic knob left in the hole, then take those of with the pliers. next, either go to the junkyard ad get new ones from any civic/integra or do as keith said in this post and buy a cabinet knob :P
  • kam3radkam3rad Band Wagon
    I purchased the knobs that keith750 specified. I installed them and they worked!! They cost only .98 each and are better than the original since they don't bang against the bottom cushion.

Great tip, keith750!

:D

1989 Honda Civic Wagon 4WD Auto
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    i went to the junkyard and pocketed the knobs from a hatchback.... freeskie :lol:
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    is it like this one?
    i found this on ebay. kinda pricey for an item i can just pick up at homedepot.

262.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... otohosting
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    That was the same guy that was trying to sell them to us at a higher price b4 he started to sell them on Ebay.They're just cabinet knobs.
  • OGWAGN1OGWAGN1 Wagonist
    wow thanks for the tip! i read it yesterday and got some today and they worked awsome. i couldnt belive they screwed right in since i have been using pliers to get my seats down.

Again THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!!!!
  • EDwEFprtsEDwEFprts Senior Wagonist
    keith750 wrote:
    ...Home Depot
    P94500C-BL-C
    # 5710...
    i went there (3) months ago and they said these are discontinued.
    but don't take my word for it.
  • they had them when i went a few weeks ago, but i didn't like the way they looked, if you find ones that have a similar narrow end (no flare) on the screw in side they will also work...i guess being from the same "collection" they all have the same threads and such
  • EDwEFprts wrote:
    keith750 wrote:
    ...Home Depot
    P94500C-BL-C
    # 5710...
    i went there (3) months ago and they said these are discontinued.
    but don't take my word for it.

a home depot was just built here and opened 12/10/08 and found these knobs for said 98 cents. i like them much more too cause they dont protrude much from the plastic hole they go in.
  • sydsyd Band Wagon
    How do you get the knobs off or out if they have broken out deep in the well. Mine are broken and they aren't even flush with with seat. Will I need to take my seat apart?
  • One of my knobs actually broke off because the mechanism is jammed, any suggestions on fixing it?
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    Needlenose pliers for both of these questions. I found jagged edges to grab onto what was left of the broken off knobs, then just turn them and unscrew them until I could grab the busted ends with my fingers to finish the job. Screwed on the replacements (from a Civic hatch) and been fine ever since.
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    Great tip Keith. Props for sharing the info!

I did like wagodizzle. Went to the salvage yard and pocketed two from a hatch. Free is always the right price ;)
  • cogitocogito Wagonist
    The Home Depot SKU # for this item is 809474. Using that number will make it easier to find if you go there.
  • glad i came across this thread

imma have to see what we have at lowes since i work there lol

~kevin
  • omg. thank you for your post. i just bought at civic wagon and both my rear seat knobs were broken also. im going to home depot first thing in the morning. thanks again
  • Just installed the door knobs and it works!
    Home Depot still sells them only for .98 cents
    Thanks again
  • Swipe'dSwipe'd Wagonist
    these are what they look like fyi, bought em today!

5cc73f5b.jpg

5a20e3fb.jpg
  • I just bought a set on door lock pulls from a local auto parts store. They had some "Ricey" looking ones with flames and 8 balls but I picked up a set of plain black ones. They screwed right on work fine.
  • FATHOEFATHOE New Wagonist
    amazing! so much better than stock.
  • Both mine were broken when I purchased my wagon. I was able to use knobs from the hatchback. Same color blue too.

Picked them up from the junkyard.
  • cwin13cwin13 New Wagonist
    Just wanted to say this thread helped me out. I picked up those knobs and they work awesome now I can actually fold my seats down! here's the result

779.jpg
    780.jpg
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Looks nice. Clean & streamlined.
  • Fast and cost effective
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Here is a free alternative : Take what is left of your original knob and grind the big lump smooth so it is the same diameter as the shaft .Turn it upside down and screw it in .Fixed . For me Home Depot is a 50 mile trip each way so this saved a lot of time :
    639.jpg
  • The darn column in mine is actually broken the part that surrounds the post. I'll need to see if I can repair it when I have the seats disassembled for washing and what not.