The paint job is fun on it though =D
  • Cons: Has that 4wd tight turn bind

Whats the long term affect of this?
  • superhatch wrote: »

We will see update coming soon.
  • superhatch wrote: »

For starters, accelerated tire wear. It's not an issue on snow or dirt, which allow some slip. On pavement, however, it will cause tire scuffing.
  • So at this point I've put about 120 miles on the car with the AWD. It's not very practical for a DD, because of the 4wd bind. The binding brings me to a stop in tight turning situations. So now I'm going to turn the lever on the Transfer case so that it will be in 2WD, and then when it snows or I want to go rally in the dirt I'll just switch in back into AWD/Offroad mode.
  • Yeah I've always wondered about a lever for the awd engagement. Seems odd that it's something you have to change by unbolting something and bolting it back down. Unless that's an item that would wear out quickly with any moderate usage.
  • Yeah I've always wondered about a lever for the awd engagement. Seems odd that it's something you have to change by unbolting something and bolting it back down. Unless that's an item that would wear out quickly with any moderate usage.

Honda imagined that the only time it would be disengaged would be for towing. We here have more imagination.
  • Can it be engaged while the motor is running, but not shifted into any gear? If so, fashion it to be a lever you can access inside the vehicle while driving =D That would be awesome.
  • Can it be engaged while the motor is running, but not shifted into any gear? If so, fashion it to be a lever you can access inside the vehicle while driving =D That would be awesome.

I've always had to put the trans in gear, release the ebrake, and rock the car a little (hoping it doesn't run away downhill) while shifting into gear. Might be able to accomplish the same thing by putting the car in gear with the motor running and gently releasing the clutch slightly to rotate the gears.
  • You should be able to add a lever in the cabin for selecting 2wd/4wd. The sleeve that does the connecting/disconnecting is basically a synchro sleeve without the brass synchro rings. You should even be able to shift on the fly as long as the front and rear are spinning at the same speeds. It would be like a manual 4x4 transfer case in a truck. But like a truck transfercase if things are bound up they can be hard to shift out of 4x4.

I wonder if a 3rd shift cable could be used for this task.....

What would be WAY cooler is to create a lockup feature for the VC. So you could do AWD with a locking center "diff" like a Landcruiser.

I wonder if one could take the synchro hub and sleeve out of a 4x4 transfercase and adapt it for use on our VC. Just run it dry in the open and hit it with some spray lube every couple months.
  • Check out the RTAWD in action. What a beast.
    [video=youtube_share;UjjDDT3r5yI]