off road tires and rims

2»

Comments

• rota grid off roads.... comes in 0 offset, looks good, with variable widths
  • rota grid off roads.... comes in 0 offset, looks good, with variable widths
    agreed, i really like those rims too...
  • so I am not sure what to do here..My car came with 949 racing 15x8 6ul (+36 offset I think) wheels. They are def sweet looking wheels but are they too wide to get offroad tires for? They currently have some summer 205/50r15 on it and dont have any scraping issues..but they are def too small for the lift haha..I did the 3" lift (accord/teg one).

Should I stick with these wheels, if so what size tires should I go with? According to their site I could get as skinny as 195 but I dont know whats good for winter/offroad (http://949racing.com/15x8-6ul-matte-bronze.aspx). Or should I go with a different wheel like those diamond racing's mentioned? They have a number of offsets available so that could be nice for getting more clearance. I have some 15x7 Rota grids on another car I could possibly use (its in another state though) but I have no idea what offset they are or if they would fit over the legend brakes up front.
  • Has anyone ever tried to use ATV/UTV mud tires? because I found some on ebay that are "6ply rated"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ATV-UTV-Tires-26-9-14-26-11-14-26x9-26x11-PROCOMP-XTREME-TRAX-Front-Rear-/360843405775
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Has anyone ever tried to use ATV/UTV mud tires? because I found some on ebay that are "6ply rated"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-ATV-UTV-Tires-26-9-14-26-11-14-26x9-26x11-PROCOMP-XTREME-TRAX-Front-Rear-/360843405775

I just lookes at the eBay post it's says two tires of one size and two tires of another size ..... I do know rt4wd should be 4 same size OUTER DIAMETER

So I'm thinking I would pass but that PRO COMP would be a nice tire for dirt/off road not really street able ... I'm sure a cop would give a ticket ..
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Has anyone ever tried to use ATV/UTV mud tires? because I found some on ebay that are "6ply rated"

I am looking at doing that.. But.. for Off Road only.. At least, That is the plan for my RT.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    The 4 wheeler tires won't hold up on the road. but off road.. shouldn't be a problem.
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    i saw this and it got me thinking, so i called a buddy of mine that races utv's. he said that his utv tires have a load rating of 800-1000lbs, so in all reality, these would work on one of our wagons. he also mentioned that the ply rating is the same as the auto/truck ratings. keep in mind that his rzr weighs about 1000lbs and our cars are 1500lbs heavier, so longevity will suffer compared to a regular tire. now you guys got me thinking. i need to find out how much these type of tires weight. if thier lighter than my studless snows, might be worth it to try a set at our next rallyx!

he also told me that they do make dot approved utv tires, so you might search a little harder if you want a set that you can run on a public highway. i doubt they would be as aggresive as what that link led too though.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I've eyeballed a bunch of those 14" utv tires. Tempting!

I'm just glad shenrie is on here!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    uhhhh ohhhhh im seeing a blue wagon in the future rockin utv tires covered in mud
  • I know quite a few people that race UTV and ATV because I race ATVs myself I used to own a civic wagon but I no longer own one bit I will chime in on this for chip but I mean ATV/UTV tires are clearly not dot approved yeah they make a few tires that are but I don't know if I'd run a set on a wagon I mean they are a soft compound tire I mean I have to replace tires quite often during the season because they wear out fast and I'd hare to see how fast theyd go on black top I mean my quad never see pavement at all just dirt but I'm not saying you all can't try it but I wouldn't I'd just get some truck tires I mean that's just me so just my 2¢
    8.jpg
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    3rd4ce wrote: »
    uhhhh ohhhhh im seeing a blue wagon in the future rockin utv tires covered in mud

nope (although they would look very badass, lol), after doing a bit more research, like stated by crazy, they just arent going to have the longevity i want. my buddy who races utv's goes through 2 seats a season. i can get 3-4 seasons out of a set of studless now tires no problem, plus regular dd driving. I do like how light the utv tires are, but not for what they cost. so im sticking to studless snows until i make the transition to true rally tires.

...and thanks trev ;)