Supercharger vs. turbo

whats the pros and cons of using a supercharger as opposed to a turbo...everyone gets a turbo i might try a supercharger

Comments

• supercharger utilizes a separate belt + pulley..and usually sits on top of the motor..look @ the mini cooper S.

turbo will need an intercooler, piping, BOV, timer and of course the 'snail'.
    they both do the same thing..forced induction = air.

supercharger cost about $700 used from Jackson Racing..they make it for the 88-91 ef..new cost is about $1500. (JRSC)

turbo can be upwards of $2-3k..depends.

i'd go w/turbo..if you have a B series in there just don't boost it too high or you'll blow some coin on a new motor.
  • turbo will need an intercooler

untrue myth...........

turbos are generally cheaper, esp. with the HMT kits than the Eaton, I mean Magnuson, wait lets call them Jackson Racing Superchargers.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    intercooler = no boost spike, smooth power increase from low rpm vs turbo which is inclined to spike if not setup properly and usually won't boost until mid-high rpm.
  • Thanks guys...i have the stock motor in now but i plan on droppin in a DOHC ZC Motor...Probably by this spring but i wanted to port the heads and stuff before i put it in.Just not sure whether to turbo it or supercharge it...I will probably keep the block stock cuz I dont have much cash...Anyboby know where to get a good cheap DOHC ZC motor?Some links for turbo and superchergers would be helpful too....thanks guys....im new with these wagons and this forum....all the help is appreciated
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    I am NO EXPERT on this subject but here goes:

From personal experience, the turbocharger setup can be run without an intercooler but in my experience I had super hot intake air temps that caused bogging (air/fuel/detonation issues)with my car. Although its not necessary depending on the type of turbo you use its helpful in reducing the intake air temp. (alcohol/water injection is an alternative too)

Supercharging basically relies on a belt driven assembly and provides you fairly instant torque normally lasting well into the mid-range powerband but they normally taper down when coming to the high end of the motors' powerband & maxing-out thereafter. Its literally as instantaneous as blipping your throttle, BOOM=POWER! There are a few variations on the supercharger style (centrifugal and roots types) but they work similiarly....

Turbocharging(depending on the type of turbo you use) will need to spool off your exhaust gases to produce power but again depending on the type you choose
    -small turbos have the least lag but good punch
    -med sizes have moderate lag but pull hard soon after
    -larger turbos will have worse lag but hit like a freight train when done
    -hybrids require research but can be an incredible power adder if done properly

The internet is full of examples of turbocharged & supercharged cars, it basically comes down to preference and what your specific application is/and goals are...I am not trying to be vague but like Bone said
    www.homemadeturbo.com is a great place to start your research. I've been there for years & its an eye opener.
    I believe we have some links available too

once you create a basic outline of what you want to do, share it with us & we'll help refine your choice
  • sumodesignssumodesigns New Wagonist
    Well just want to put in my 2 cents. I think to get the maximum output on a small displacement engine is to go with a turbocharger, because it works off the exhaust flow which transulates to "free power". A supercharger runs off a belt, which causing drag in the engine and less gains. If you are just going to run a stock engine, and just want to have a little kick of boost, Jackson Racing supercharger is the way to go, but even then you can still break something on the bottom end.
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    is the turbo kit from greddy going to make us remove anything accessories like the air conditioner or power stering for it to fit? i heard from many that the ones that are made for the 92 civic will fit our 91 civic wagons with just a tad bit of moding on the one of the piping.
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    if it doesnt say AC or PS compatable than it most likely isnt.
  • I had a HMT style 14b turbo setup on my sedan's sohc zc for a while. I did it for under $600.

14b, extra oil pan, DSM 450cc injectors, AFPR, oil lines, HF manifold - $250
    Chip burning stuff - $150
    Downpipe and IC piping - $125
    HF manifold to 14B adapter - FREE made it myself
    SRT-4 FMIC - FREE
    TurboEdit - FREE
    193whp 2200lb 13.6@102 turbo car for under $1600 - priceless :twisted:

I have an oil pan, HF mani, adapter, srt4 IC, and a minty fresh t25 turbo sitting here if anyone wants to throw a quick kit together. shoot me an offer, feel free to lowball lol, I'd love to see these parts go on a wagon.
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    A supercharger uses 30ish% of the engines power just to turn the supercharger, but the power is linear from top to bottom.

A turbo use roughy 3% of the engines power, but generally has lag. Thats easily overcome by sizing correctly. Our EF hatch is at full boost (13lbs) by 2300 rpms. The lag is almost nonexistant. Smaller turbos spool quicker, but run out of power in the higher rpms. Biger turbos will have lag but hit like a ton of bricks when to kick in.

Basically it just depends on where you want your power, or if you just wanna do something different. Either way, if you force your car it will be more fun.