Potential new rt4wd wagon owner

Hello everyone,

I may be getting a 91 wagon, approximately 200k on the stock A6 motor. I'm going to check it out this weekend, but I wanted to get some input. What are some common problem items I should look at with the car? There are some pretty obvious things like leaks or oil consumption. I'm thinking more along the lines of the 4wd system. Do the viscous couplers tend to breakdown over time?

Also, I couldn't find the answer by searching, I'm trying to find out if the front & rear differentials are open or limited slip. I doubt they're LSD, but that would be cool :)

I'm not new to cars, or Hondas. This will be my 5th car, 3rd Honda.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• You picked a fine time to leave me Lucielle.. 4 hungry children and the crops in the field...
  • You recognize my work? :lol:
  • So by the lack of response should I assume there are no common problems with these cars? I'm going to test drive it, maybe do a compression test, check the spark plugs (you can tell a lot about how a car is running by the condition of the spark plugs), etc.

Wish me luck... Maybe I'll have a wagon by the time I post again.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    You've touched on the common problems. It's a Honda, and therefore better than most.

The diffs are open.

Viscous couplers seem to do OK, but rear driveline u-joints are impossible to get. This doesn't make sense to me, but I don't have an RT and haven't had to deal with it. I'd bet you my paycheck that my driveline shop would fix it ASAFP. Replacement trannies and diffs are scarce, so if you own a 4wd wag, shop for spares always.

All of this is from the hip, I only know what I read :wink:
  • welcome.

i drive an 88rt4wd with 220Tsh miles and im the third owner. actually the second owner didnt used it coz she had it like for only 4mos and it was just practically a garage queen since her fiancee bought her another car. the first owner put down 90% or more of the miles. he lives in mammoth mountain and it snows there during winter. i had the car a little over a year now and dont have any issues as far as drivetrain is concern. it has the same motor d16a6 and no mods when i got it. since it is a honda that was built in japan, so it will run forever as the reputation goes.

just my 2cents.

wagon ..................4ever.............................
  • Thanks for the help
    watcha gonna do...?
    fly with it...to the moon...?
    buy the damn thing if it pleases you...
    :mrgreen: