New to group from NJ

Can you stand another wagon from NJ?

I have visited this group before but never announced myself. I'm Susan - a different kind of owner, not looking for a tricked-out ride, but trying to figure out what to do about my 20 year old friend. It needs some work, and my husband isn't willing to sink any more money into it. He wants to buy a new car and get rid of it. I learned that there were actually HCW enthusiasts when I met one in a parking lot at the grocery store who stopped me and asked me all about my car. That was a few years ago - I found this group and kept it in the back of my mind.

Just saying hi and looking around. I will post a current picture of the car when I get a chance to take a new one. I have one from when we first bought it in July of 1990. It has stickers inside the door in Japanese that say it was manufactured in 1989. When it was new it got about 36 mpg on the highway. Even now it gets around 30 mpg, so I can't complain about that. My kids (23 and 18) cannot remember before we owned it. They learned to drive in it. So I guess my desire to keep it is mostly sentimental.

I don't want to have to get rid of it, so I guess I came here for some encouragement and advice on whether it makes sense to keep it.

Comments

• progressprogress Wagonist
    Welcome! We're a bunch of happy wagon owners here (even if our (read mine) cars aren't running properly). Where abouts in NJ are you? Stock or modified... it's all good... It's a wagon ain't it?
  • with 30 mpg, whats else is wrong...

dogs chasing it while you drive by ?
  • welcome here sistah.

wagon...................4ever.........................
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Welcome. If you're looking for someone to tell you to get rid of your wagon, you may be in the wrong place... unless we're trying to buy it from you :lol:

What kind of problems are you having? More importantly, how do the repair costs compare to your projected new car payment? To my mind, the only insurmountable problem is RUST. If the car has the cancer it's really difficult/expensive to fix.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    welcome! keep it in the family, i wish my parents had. we had lots of stories growing up with that car, i still miss it to this day.

lets see some pictures!
  • momzillamomzilla Band Wagon
    Well, no I am not trying to get rid of my wagon, but my husband is. If we buy a new car it would be another Civic, and perhaps a hybrid. Though the newer ones might not last 20 years. :lol:

The AC compressor doesn't work. We have had it replaced a couple of times. It failed because of a seal failure but we couldn't get the seal by itself? Does that make any sense or have we been getting ripped off?

I think there is starting to be rust on the driver's side.

Pics soon - from 1990, so not digital, gotta scan.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    momzilla wrote:
    Just saying hi and looking around. I will post a current picture of the car when I get a chance to take a new one. I have one from when we first bought it in July of 1990. It has stickers inside the door in Japanese that say it was manufactured in 1989. When it was new it got about 36 mpg on the highway. Even now it gets around 30 mpg, so I can't complain about that. My kids (23 and 18) cannot remember before we owned it. They learned to drive in it. So I guess my desire to keep it is mostly sentimental.

This really gets me in the heart eh. :)

My mum bought the Civic Pro in 1993 and most of my memories of road trips with the family have been in that car. I learnt to drive in that car and it was the first car i ever purchased (not mummy funded). It was also the first car i... no wait you're a mum! You don't want to hear that!

Do us proud, keep the car and most importantly, keep the memories alive. :D