speakers in the rear doors

Was lucky enough to have speaker pods in my red wagon. Not so Lucky in the new wagon. Could have robed them from the old wagon, but they didn't match, and didn't feel like tearing apart the entire rear of the car to put them in.

So now I'm coming up on putting my stereo in my new wagon. Has anybody had good, or bad experience mounting speakers in the rear doors?
I'm no purist so cutting the door panels isn't going to phase me at all.

I ran 5 1/4" front speakers, 6 1/2" in the rears of my old wagon. Strangely enough the openings (uncut) for the front speakers are for 6 1/2" speakers in my new wagon. They were smaller in my old wagon.
So that means I'll be fitting the 5 1/4's in the rear of the new wagon. Kinda nice because they're smaller, and lower profile.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Any way you do it i'm pretty sure that when you wind down the windows it will hit the magnet. I guess the best way would be to use a smaller speaker as you stated.
  • pulling one of the door panels, hopefully tomorrow. I'm thinking that if nothing else I may have to use some spacers so that the magnet almost sits flush with the door panel. Which would be nice because I could bring them up to a decent level, instead of putting them down by your feet.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Yeah but then you may run into clearance issues with the internal crank. I guess the only way to know is to take the skin off and see. Make sure you take pictures!
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    My suggestion would be to buy or build your own "pods," specifically for your 5 1/4" speakers, and mount them somewhere near the stock location. Before I scored my OEM pods, I'd intended to buy some nice aftermarket pods - as large as I could find and afford - and somehow mount them using the factory location. Then I scored a deal on my OEM pods and went for that instead.

Good luck!
  • measured the depth of both my 5" and 6" speakers. from the mounting point they're about 1 3/4" deep.
    I'm hoping using these...
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_191 ... 00DX.html#
    or something of the sorts, that I can find a spot that will allow me to sink in the remaning 3/4".

Of course I could run two on each speaker and flush mount them...... mabey even in the roof in the very back.
    how much space is there under the "headliner".
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    One time, YEARS ago, Crutchfield sold me a pair of speakers for the front doors of my Mercury Tracer that were too deep to fit properly. (This was before they worked the bugs out of their "what fits my car" section. They were EXCELLENT about replacing my speakers with comparable ones that fit - nothing against Crutchfield, I've bought from them many times since.) What ended up happening was window would simply bump the edge of the speaker and wouldn't go all the way down.

Now, how many cars do you know of where the back window doesn't go all the way down? I would say probably the majority of them! The Civic wagon does, but if it doesn't because of a speaker in the way, I doubt anybody's going to notice that it's out of the ordinary. Also, how often do you have someone riding in back who is likely to roll down the window and carelessly slam it into your speaker? If the answer is "never," this may not actually be a problem for you.

I hadn't seen these spacers before, but it looks like they'd work. Just use the grill that comes with the speaker, and you'll be in good shape. Personally, I prefer to put speakers where I, as the driver, will hear them. In the back doors, not so much. Rear deck of a sedan, or in the stock pod location of a wagon, that's more like it.
  • maybe you can consider the door
    for "satellite" position(s)
    as in dolby surround...
    meaning getting a smaller set...
    uhmm yeah, i'm biased, just because i have ..

bass is at its best in the back/boot, where it can
    push/pull lots of air ...

those extenders are pretty neat, maybe
    & add a tube to clear any issues, if there is
    enough meat to screw and hold...

2cts
    o_O
  • stephenstephen Senior Wagonist
    i actually made locations for 4" 2 ways on the side panels behind the rear seats. Iwill try to get pics in my build thread tonight. I need to get covers for them but am very happy with the results.
  • oilspotoilspot Wagonist
    stephen wrote:
    i actually made locations for 4" 2 ways on the side panels behind the rear seats. Iwill try to get pics in my build thread tonight. I need to get covers for them but am very happy with the results.
    lookin forward to seeing those pics!!!
    and with no further adieu!

I think they will look a lot better when I get some grills on 'em, but they are functional and look decent in the mean while.

you must excused the filthy interior! :shock: :oops: :D
  • Thats really not too bad, in fact i like it a lot....question...how will the seats lock in the upward position?
    They actually go right in front of the edge of the speakers, a better fit than I anticipated actually. Once I get some grills to hide the factory hole above them it will look quite good, I think.
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    You dont need rear speakers, spend the money on better front speakers and you wont look back 8)
    NZ-DB8R wrote:
    You dont need rear speakers, spend the money on better front speakers and you wont look back 8)

Neo might disagree....

He told me he has nice door speakers with an amp on em and when he heard my setup he told me he was going to install some rear speakers :D
  • let me say sumthing no-one understands : )

it's like holding a black&white picture against your ear ...
    all grey ...

color however can show you the energy and place
    of particular parts aka instruments and voices

and true, ear thumping plain out loud is fun and
    can cure kidney stones too

: )
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    stephen wrote:
    NZ-DB8R wrote:

Neo might disagree....

He told me he has nice door speakers with an amp on em and when he heard my setup he told me he was going to install some rear speakers :D

I guess it comes down to personal preference, the only reason I have rear speakers is for my passengers.

In my last car I had a decent set of front components running off an amp, and a 10" sub.
    Spent a hour fiddling with settings and got it to where it sounded as though you were surrounded by music.

Rear speakers tend to throw the balance out
  • j-wagj-wag Band Wagon
    i used 6.5 and just cut a hole under the window crank
    Dead_Bunny wrote:
    Thats really not too bad, in fact i like it a lot....question...how will the seats lock in the upward position?

it just occurred to me that you are referring to the rear seat latches that I don't have. mine is a true wagovan so i have a bench seat not the 60/40 split.
  • skinnyskinny Senior Wagonist
    bench seat :shock: remind me never to ride with you :lol: