How I swapped my climate controls with stereo.

Notice the title. This is how I did it. Not saying its the right/only way to do this conversion, but it should give you enough info on how to get it done. If you find a better way, please post it up. Im always open to new/better ideas on how to do stuff that others havent tried yet.

I did this swap so I could relocate my dvd player high enough for the passengers in back to watch family guy on the way to the hill. Other than that, there really is no reason to do this swap. I had a few pm me and ask me questions so I told them I would do a writeup. Sorry it took so long guys.

Im sure I dont need to tell you guys how to remove the lower center console and all that crap, so Ill just post the info so you can see if its something you want to tackle or not.

First pic. cage as is after removing lower console. Notice the non-honda stereo piece. It = garbage.
269.jpg
Move the piece around so you can access the end of it. Be carefull. These old pieces are brittle as hell. No need to disconnect the cables. Youll just break stuff if you try.
270.jpg
271.jpg

Youll want to make this measurement with the console installed. Youll measure from the metal cage to where the faceplate will sit. Ive noticed that the cars are slightly different, however they were both around 3/4". Now thats 3/4'' out on the heater controls, and 3/4'' in on the stereo.

With the controls where you can access the end cut a groove in teh controls about a 1/4" with either a hacksaw, cutoff wheel, etc..
272.jpg

Then position other side for next cut.
273.jpg

Then you slide the controls over the cage like so. Hardware that you use Im sure will differ, but I just used sheetrock screws as they were handy. I had to drill out the holes to accept the larger screw or the sides would have split out on me.
274.jpg
275.jpg
276.jpg
277.jpg

Place the console on to make sure the hvac is positioned properly before you do the stereo.
278.jpg

Now for the stereo your gonna space it out with either washers, nuts or actual spacers if you have the right stuff. I used what was available, shiney nuts, uh hu hu hu.
279.jpg
280.jpg

A pic of the part installed...kinda. This stereo faceplate needed around a 1/4' shaved off the bottom of it before it would let me bolt the console back on, so I dont have finished pix, but you get the idea. Please note that the little square (in pic below) you see where the climate controls slid into the back. That will have to be cut off for the stereo to seat all the way in. I didnt get a pic of it removed as I needed the same tool I didnt have to modify the faceplate.
281.jpg

Comments