Rally Cross RT build

So I was slowly working my way out of the wagon world, but it seems fate brought me right back to the obsession. Buddy of mine said he had a wagon that he didn't know much about, but his tow yard had it and he needed it gone. $300, and he sent me some pictures. Had a roof rack, and since I wanted on for the 2WD, I figured I would scoop it no matter what, take some parts and sell the rest to make money off of it. I went to check it out, and noticed right away they did not know what they had.

114.jpg
115.jpg
116.jpg
117.jpg
118.jpg

Obviously it has some damage, and the timing belt let loose, but upon inspection, it has complete Ground Control coilovers and extended top hats. Those alone are worth more than what I spent, and given how little I have into it, I figured it would be fun to see how cheap I can keep it, learn to do stuff internal motor wise, and build it to rally cross some and just enjoy!

So, I ordered new valves, seals, gaskets, etc to learn how to lap valves in and rebuild a head and see if I can get it going for under a grand. I am currently in it at about $650 including the purchase of the car and parts and tools. Once I get it driving, I will start sourcing accord suspension stuff to lift it and toss the ground controls on the 2WD.

Long-term ideas are to build a snorkel for it, start sourcing a low profile roof rack for it that actually supports weight (something along the lines of Gobi or Baja Rack) and just see how cheap and cool I can make it!

Comments

• BCwagonBCwagon New Wagonist
    wow steal of a deal, wish we had more wagons in canada. really want to get back into one, but cant pay a premium for one, a budget is a budget.

Look forward to seeing the progress you make on this
  • superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses!

That thing is a steal for $300!
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Once I get this whole divorce thing settled and moved, I will be diving into this. I need to finish my hatch first though, since it's about to be track season. But once I get that going and stuff, I'll be ordering parts for this and my 2wd since they're both being combined kind of. Should be a fun build though!
    Okay, Divorce is settled (for the most part) and my brother is coming to scoop the 2WD, so it is time to get to work!

Going to try and get head work done this weekend so maybe I will try and start it Monday.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    they always come crawling back.....jk. Welcome back!

I'm looking to relocate to the Denver area. so you better get it straight because you'll have some RX competition!
    Sounds good to me! Would be super cool to get in with someone else RX'ing an RT.

I am mostly excited to be building almost the exact same thing as my brother. Just gives me a chance to show superiority haha.
    Well, this may sit a bit. My moronic former best friend thinks he is going to take me to court to take this from me since he thinks I owe him money, when in fact, he owes me almost $2k as he is a fuggin child and doesn't pay his bills. Thankfully the former owner is a friend, and is going to duplicate the title for me without my info on it and we are going to mail it to my brother to put in his name so it is not my property to lose :encouragement:

Most likely I will just tuck it away somewhere and get to work on it so when I finally take him to court and it is all said and done, I can drive it. Regardless, I have a ton of parts waiting for it and most of the body should be fixed thanks to all the parts from Maxwell.
  • FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    Stoked to see this thing built! And good workaround with the title!

(also - the hood latch cable snapped when I removed it today so you probably dont want it. sorry man!)
    SOLID update!!!

Went to town on the wagon to find that the valves and pistons are good, nothing made contact. Bad news is I ran out of gasket remover and all of our parts store close at 2 today lol. Regardless of that, once I get more chemicals I will be tossing the head back on with ARP's and new OEM water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and gaskets and see if I can't get this thing running!!
    Well, the good news is she runs! Bad news is I have more work to do before driving it. The hood latch was all fucked up so I will be tackling that tomorrow and need to source some AC parts for it since it looks like at one point it had it. Either way, can't believe I am less than a grand into this!
    56.jpg

Well, it ran and drove decently. Smoked a whole lot of rust out of the exhaust but other than that it seemed to run pretty damn well. Needed to cut open the bumper to get the hood latch loose though, and I thought I had it fixed with the new one but I think the core support upper is just too messed up so I will need to reopen it somehow and work on it to not suck lol.
    So took her out on the road. Shockingly the u joints seem solid and Rt4WD works well, bad news is dude who had it before me totally ruined the coilovers so that will be an easy reason to go ahead and lift it and go that route. Already have a lowered car so may as well make a lifted car too lol. Hood got stuck again which has been annoying so I may just go locking hood pin style for a while so I don't have to mess with that until winter or something.
    Decent update. Have given up on the hood latch issue and am using my AeroCatch hood latches on this since I traded my hatch for a JDM Mugen front end Integra that needs a little body work but hood latch works just fine. Coilovers will be here tomorrow and I also have the diff mod so I will hopefully be buttoning suspension up, swap the diff bushing, finishing the hood latch fab, getting tags for the car and drive it around more! Also scooped a Y7 block, Z6 and Y8 heads so will be building a vitara mini me for it as well. My buddy went super eBay with his almost free vitara mini me so I wanted to be a turd and build the exact same motor with quality parts and show him what's up haha. We shall see. And lastly, swap some body panels and POR15 the crap out of the rust and potential rust areas before winter. I'll decide on paint or not next year...still considering making it look unassuming and a turbo vitara to surprise people.