New Wagon owner, project start now!

Hi all, i just buy a wagon a few days ago, its 1990 4wd. The wagon was bought new in arizona and stay 16 years or so in this states before going to washington (the state) to end in vermont where the wagon pass a couple of year. I buy the wagon from a guy who imported it from vermont to canada in dec 2014.
the last owner repaint the car and did some bodywork, like the rear quarter that was rusty. He use an honda accord wheel arch and fitment is almost perfect.
The underbody is 7/10 and has some rust here and there but nothing really mad. Its surprisingly in good shape and everything is strong. that was my main concern about buying the car and it pass my criteria. The paint is not a great quality job, there is a lot of small imperfection but it look nice, some feet away :) Anyway, i like the fact i dont really have to deal with body. Milleage is around 228 000 miles. Engine is dripping a lot of oil, im not sure from where. And the car is noisy on the rear while riding at highway speed, im not sure right now where its coming from?! Maybe the exaust(i see no holes), or wheel bearing, or diff. I need to do some investigation.
I plan on swapping the engine for a d16y8 this winter ( I have acces to one in a running car friend). Right now, my biggest concern is the car doesnt feel safe at highway speed... it look like there is some play in the steering rack.
good thing is that AC is working and cold. Im really happy about it!
i'm looking for some coilover and wheel right now, but cant decide which one i want. I love the drag dr20 15x7 10mm offset. i dont care about rolling my front fender, but id like to not roll the rear.
I think i paid a little bit too much for the car...but there is simply no wagon for sale in canada... i paid $5000 CAD ($3700 USD) but it do come with a lot of extra parts (unrust front fenders, bunch of body molding, 1 extra diff, 1 extra rt4wd tranny, 2 rear axle shaft, ef sedan cruise control and steering wheel, 2 speedo cable, etc.)
I have a lot more to say but lets the pics talk by themselves.
oh and sorry for my bad english, since im french canadian.

valve cover was repaint
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

electric window and lock was retrofit. leaving a hole in the panel. I do have the plastic for the speaker, but they cant be fit with those speaker.

11.jpg

muffler is dirty rusty
12.jpg

13.jpg

someone here have the plastic thnig that goes around the lock?
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

driver seat was repair by previous owner with some passenger seat fabric. i have to say that the job is really well done.
17.jpg

18.jpg

OEM honda equaliser was fit but it still sound like shit. 12v power outler was add to console( which i think is from integra)
19.jpg

The rear mat is out for drying because i pass the entire day trying to clean the damn thing from rust and greassy spot. i think it will come pretty nice when dry. pics to come....
20.jpg

interior lower door plastic and dash was paint black. how do you like it?
21.jpg

There is an OEM spare wheel basket
22.jpg

23.jpg

This particular thing is coming from GM...im not sure how i like it.
24.jpg

Comments

• ZombieMikeZombieMike New Wagonist
    SUPER clean start, man! I'm diggin this wagon...The power windows are a nice touch. Looking forward to see more of it, Welcome!
  • A little update = i replace every parts of the suspension. Ball joint, tie rod, bearing, skunk 2 front upper control arm, all bushing, rear toe arm, rear upper control arm, progress coilover, front and rear brake, wheel and tire and an alignment.
    Before this, the car was riding like shit. Thanks to both broken front spring and 2 of the 4 shock was blown. Now the ride is way better and feel a lot safer.
    But, those progress coilover bounce way too much for my taste. I pick em in 350/250 because it was suppose to be the most comfy ride. **** bouncing is not comfy at all.
    Do you think the wagon will feel different than other ef civic ?
  • Toe arm was rust in place. I had to burn them to get them out!

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg
  • Oh and the annoying noise that was coming from the rear when i bring the car home was due to the different tire size front and rear. Front was 175/70/14 and rear was 185/70/14. This was propably enough to bug the viscous coupler. Now everything is normal with the wheel and tire. No more drivetrain noise.
  • mistahjoemistahjoe New Wagonist
    very nice!
  • Nice wagon ya got there, jealous of the Trail 70 as well. I used to have one back in the day. Keep up the good work!
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    GLOSSY! I noticed that sweet trail 70 too! looks like theres more than one hiding in there.
  • SylquebecSylquebec Band Wagon
    I finaly decided on which engine to go for the wagon. I was debating between a vtec d15b or a dohc zc. The idea of a d15b was coming from a video on YouTube of some guys swaping this engine in a 4wd wagon. I think the only pro vs the dohc was the that every jdm engine seller in my area had 2-3 in stock each and there is almost 12 jdm seller. So i had acces to 25+ vtec d15b. My goal was to pick the cleanest one. In other hands, dohc zc are rare... there were 4 available. 3 of them was looking rough and abuse with lots of milleage, but when i finally see the fourth one...
    Wow, never think i could find a clean engine like that. I would like if you could try to guess the milleage.

The only con is the missing distributor, if someone have one in hand (td43 for obd1), let me know please. Because i read that aftermarket one are junk.

To me, this engine look like it has not run since 20 years, there is surface rust inside the heads ( i can remove it with my finger, this isnt a big deal).
    Do you think the cylinder could be rust too? Do you think it could be a problem? Sitting for such a long time.

If someone have a p29 ecu laying around...or i will go the chipped route.

Let me know what you think about it.
    Oh, i dont bother if its obd1. I will buy an ecu/dizzy harness and voila!

Yep, valve cover paint is not in great shape. I supposed its shipping related.
    I will go with the texture krylon paint and it will look like an oem one.

So please let me know how much miles you think it has?

60.jpg

61.jpg

Ps hose is bent
    62.jpg

I dont think i will bother changing the timing belt.
    63.jpg

You cant really see it by the pics but the power steering pulley still has that shinny yellow look.

64.jpg

Unrust a/c bracket
    65.jpg

66.jpg

Is that second cable on throtle body cruise control? I was thinking the cable was going to the gas pedal? The cruise control pedal was the only thing i was missing to install it in my wagon. I have the steering, actuator-cable and computer box. I would be really happy if i can adapt it to this throtle body instead of changing the pedal.

67.jpg

Look like its coming from an auto car!
    69.jpg

Someone know how to clean aluminium so it could look new again?
    70.jpg

The missing dizzy
    71.jpg

72.jpg

1992 engine?
    73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

Look like oil has completely dried under the valve cover. Should i clean this ??
    77.jpg

Let me know what you think about it.
    Thanks.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    looks like a really nice B motor you have there . Wagon looks great thanks for posting .
    wftb wrote: »
    looks like a really nice B motor you have there . Wagon looks great thanks for posting .

zc are D series
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    That looks like an obd1 ZC? Good score if so. P29 and P08 stamps.
  • Nice score there but PLEASE DO change that timing belt. It is so easy while it is out of the car and so inexpensive. It might look good but I bet it has been sitting a while. I'd give it a good tune up while out and change all belts and hoses for new ones. Much less heartache later.
  • Very interesting seeing the subtle differences of an obd1 zc, I have an obd0 converted to obd1
  • Yes it is obd1. Im still looking for a td43u dizzy. If someone have one laying around, let me know.
    And i should say it must be oem, because most aftermarket are supposed to be junk, from what ive read.
  • So i have a whining sound coming from under the radio , only when going 55 to 65 km/h. I wasnt sure if it was tranny related or maybe the transfer case. So i try disengage the 4wd, and there is no more sound... so i suspect its the transfer case... anyway i will have time to check it when the motor and tranny will be out. I think the gear in it are discontinued? I dont know if i can bring the gear to a shop with a cnc machine?! Tu duplicate the gear..i supposed it will be a lot of $$
  • If it is the transfer case, it's more likely the bearing than the gear itself. Pull the bearing, check for part numbers, measure the inner and outer diameter. Give this information to a bearing distributor and you can probably get a replacement.
    I buy a innovative motor mount kit. I can't figure how to install the passenger transmission mount. I'm not sure if I get the good one... but it definitely look the same on the picture on this link.

78.jpg
    [FONT=&amp]19153 - EE4[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]www.innovativemounts.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Designed to fit the forth gen. Honda Civic Wagon EE4 chassis with D-Series 4 wheel drive motors and cable transmission.[/FONT]

https://www.innovativemounts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=19153

Attach is a pics of the mount next to my tranny. theres is 3 hole on the tranny to bolt the mount and only 2 on the innovative mount, also the holes doesnt line up at all.

let me know what you think about it.
    79.jpg

thanks
    ok...forget my last post... i was confuse between the rear and side mount... Everything is ok...
    Someone get a solution for the front mount? I dont know why innovative doesnt include it in his kit... mine is completely trash.
    see pics :

84.jpg

other question, how can i remove the power steering bracket from my zc? the bracket make me unable to remove the plastic under the timing belt and i can't remove the motor mount because of this plastic...

see pics :

85.jpg

86.jpg

Also, if you remember, i had a whining noise between 55-65 km/h coming from the transfer case (because no more sound when the 4wd is disabled). so i remove the transfer case to look at the gear...but im not a pro of gear at all!! i can't see if something is wrong. I order the bearing (and seal, of course) from honda and i will change them...

87.jpg

I painted my valve cover :

88.jpg

the engine bay right now :

89.jpg
  • Dash-N-CarsDash-N-Cars Senior Wagonist
    Just stumbled across your thread, I have a 3rd gen ZC in my 91 wagon I'm finishing up. I actually just cut the post off of that motor mount that was in the way. You'll need to take that off and swap the one from the original a6 anyway.
  • Very clean, nice pick up!

That mount you're holding is incorrect, that mount is for the passenger side of the transmission.

One of the other mounts would be the rear mount for the transmission, if you post a photo of all the mounts I can help you out.

The transfer box gear looks to be in good condition, it's most likely the bearing that is at fault as mentioned before.

Use 2 nuts on the stud which is getting in the way of the bolt, tighten the nuts on each other then you'll be able to easily remove the stud on the engine mount.
    Hey all. Im back after a couple of month! So difficult to work on the wagon with 2 young kids...
    Anyway, the swap is almost finish. I start the engine yesterday! Runs like a champ. But still need to finish some small things.
    I need your help for this =

Where am i suppose to connect those 2 vacuum line that are on the firewall next to the old map? and does the red tube is connect to the right place?
    17.jpg

Where should i run the clutch cable??? Look like its in the way with the larger doch valve cover.
    18.jpg

Intake hose could be 1 inch longer... im unable to connect it correctly to the intake box... i hate aftermarket intake pipe so i dont know if you have an idea?
    19.jpg

Oh...i was lucky enough that the japanese that remove my engine in japan didnt bother to unbolt the power steering line so he simply cut it. So i was able to solder the d16 line with the zc one. So i dont had to mess with fitting the old bracket with washer and all that crap.
    20.jpg

Waiting for your reply guys !
    Thanks
    Syl
    ok, i just look at my old engine pics and realise that the clutch cable need to go between the intake and valve cover...
  • superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    ZC's look so good in our engine bays. :)

Couldn't find any vacuum line info, all the links on forums are dead. Found the ZC shop manual though http://www.carenthusiast.com/crxuk/CRX_Workshop_Manual.pdf

With the Poly kit from innovative do you think you need a front mount?
    superhatch wrote: »

With the Poly kit from innovative do you think you need a front mount?

I dont know if it was need, but it was available brand new in jobber parts for 40$ so i just put a new one.