1st/2nd Transmission Shift Spring

Is anyone familiar with the 1st/2nd transmission shift spring on the FWD transmission. I'll see if I can't get a pic from the FSM up here on it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what this spring is for.

Does it control how much resistance there is getting the shifter from center over to 1 and 2 or is it something else entirely.

I'm hoping it's that because that seems far easier to get to than the shift fork springs inside. I wonder because I have a minimum of resistance getting from center over to first and second, where as going over to fifth a lot more pressure needs applied. this seems to me that it's due to a worn out spring. I have a pro 5.0 shifter that I have in a volvo that's been torn apart for the last 15 years, and I loved how stiff it was getting over to first and second.

In hard shifting all you'd have to do is push forward out of 2nd and it would go into 3rd without fail, so you'd never miss that shift, it was great. I'd love to get that type of feel out of the shifter itself, preferably with just repairing what's already there, if not maybe I'll look into mods.

Comments

• yes I'm digging up old threads, I've been away for a while.

Your Honda is not a Mustang with Pro 5.0 shifter.