Finally got another wagon...Operation Stock(ish) Daily is a go.

Second wagon acquired, found this beauty chilling in the backyard of an old couple who have a small junk yard. After talking to the guy I managed to get the title and take her home for $600. Its a '90 FWD auto. It's seen better days but just needs some love to be back to her former glory. The interior wasn't horrible but definitely has it's flaws. Front seats are trashed, rear need deep cleaning and a couple patches on the vinyl. It's missing the rear headrests and the little knobs for the seats to fold down...dash has a small crack in the center and a couple more in the little "cup" like areas of the dash...Passenger side vent is broken. Has no Speaker pods but other than that and some dirty carpey the interior is good. The body is SUPER straight. Despite a crappy paintjob covering the OEM blue and small cracks in the taillights, the body is surprisingly good...Even straighter than my other wagon lol. I think I was most surprised that the rear hatch struts still work. Door came up and stayed up and I was in awe lol...The guy said he put a headgasket on about a year and a half ago. Had the head machined and also replaced radiator, water pump and timing belt. About 8 months ago, He said it "got hot" again, it being his wifes car he had it towed home and didn't feel like getting back into it so there it sat for about 8 months...I got it home and it ran fine for about 20mins, then white smoke and temp rose. Removed VC to find chocolate milk :/ Motor is a d15b2 and has around 270xxx.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3360&d=1475632496

attachment.php?attachmentid=3361&d=1475632509

attachment.php?attachmentid=3366&d=1475632822

attachment.php?attachmentid=3363&d=1475632536

attachment.php?attachmentid=3364&d=1475632550
my daughter loves wagons and is excited to have another lol...

So my intentions with this wagon is to clean it up REALLY well and get it running reliably so that I can daily it...Id like to get it back to OEM paint, touch up all trim and bumpers, as well as clean up the engine bay...Ultimately. I'm thinking Wheels, mosdest drop and some other little things and I'm done. Ive started pulling the head to have it checked and replace the head gasket but I'm having trouble removing the head. Water hoses are loose, timing cover and belt are off, Exhaust mani is off but it refuses to come off...Tips would be appreciated as ive never actually done this myself lol. I'm a diesel mechanic so there is little doubt in my ability but the knowledge behind the steps just isn't there lol...Ill try to post updates as much as possible but for now, cleaning the inside and getting her running is whats going on...

Comments

• Head bolts? There may be a bracket on the back of the IM.
  • ZombieMikeZombieMike New Wagonist
    Thanks! There is a bracket back there, didn't see it before. That guys comin off tom and well see about some more progress.
  • That is a steal in my book. Way cheaper and easier to fix the engine than the body! Good pick up!
    That is a steal in my book. Way cheaper and easier to fix the engine than the body! Good pick up!

Thanks! I think so too. Pretty excited to get going on it...
    Got the head off today, just before dark...I was told I could leave the distributor and intake on the head until I got it of but ended up just taking the intake loose in bay. Ill be dropping it off at a machine shop soon to see if its any good still...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3370&d=1475725664

attachment.php?attachmentid=3369&d=1475725661
    ::UPDATE::

Last I posted I had removed the head...Made some progress since then...

Got a nice spot to work on her during the cold months thanks to my father in law. Has heat and endless tools...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3428&d=1480131133

Had the head checked and resurfaced, cleaned. Cleaned the deck of the block.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3429&d=1480131147
    Had to get new dowels as well...couple bucks from Honda.

New gasket in place...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3432&d=1480131186

Head back on, timing belt back on, all coolant lines and various plugs and such back on, intake and exhaust too...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3433&d=1480131198

After I got it all together, waiting for the first start up...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3434&d=1480131228

First start up went ok, smoked for awhile and idled funny...Topped off coolant and adjusted throttle cable, idle was corrected. Shes sitting at 8-900rpm in park, 1k in drive at idle. Temp is good. I drove it up and down my road some and she seemed to be doing pretty good. Definitely not what I'm used to from my B but good, especially from a motor with 278xxx miles...I did notice the brakes are pretty squishy and the trans seems to shift a little late so ill be addressing those issues soonish...Also after about 10-15 mins of driving it, only up to about 45mph, CEL came on. I don't know how to pull the codes on this gal..ive googled and got some iffy results. Ill be looking into that issue ASAP. I'm ready to get this thing on the road...My other wagon is out of commission for awhile (I need a new distributor, alignment and 2 front tires :/)...I'm looking into painting this wagon too, it was once the light blue stock color but previous owners painted it green (badly)...Havent decided on color, id like to get back to the OEM blue but I'm not 100% yet. I have stripped and painted the steelies (turquoise had to go lol).

these beauty rings came on the car and theyre in pretty good shape...I'm kinda digging them but I wish all 4 matched, I have 2 and 2....
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3431&d=1480131173

Closer look at the difference...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3430&d=1480131162

So that's pretty much it for now...Hopefully more updates soon...
    Thanks!! Turns out its the o2 sensor...one more thing to the list lol.