H2B Wagon +

Well i figured i should post a build thread with my future plans. I haven't posted this car on any other forums, its been a budget build in my tiny garage with only a couple people helping out. i haven't posted it anywhere else due to trying to keep it sleeper but i figured its a wagon forum and we need to show everyone wagons aren't slow!

i'll start with the car; its a 91 base model that i picked up for 225 dollars off an older man who had daily driven it for 9 years. it was rusted, exhaust was broke off after the manifold and ugly. PERFECT! so off we were to pick it up.
45.jpg

got it home, did some regular maintenance, and made a quick fix exhaust. the car was GREAT! i haven't owned many hondas but when i get one, i love it! i got some rsr springs for it and just drove it as is for a year enjoying the reliability and fuel savings
46.jpg

since i was in camp and bored, i spent my time searching the web and found a little b20 that i was set on picking up, until i came across someones unfinished project.
a 91 hatch with an h2b. it was a rat nest wiring attempt but it had an obd1 jumper, ecu, halfshaft, QSD h2b kit, and an ls trans. its a start.
i didn't want to spend that much on the car so my friend agreed to take the shell off my hands for a couple hundred bucks. and we're off to get it!
47.jpg

out came both motors and they traded places. the hatch went back to a stock d15 and the wagon had an h2b sitting in it. sounds like progress but the countless hours that followed trying to figure out the wiring harness proved that it wasn't going to be an easy swap (after all this is my first swapped honda)
48.jpg
49.jpg

we wired everything pin by pin but it was still a mess. fuel pump wouldn't work but it was cranking, figured i might as well check the compression. it was showing 120ish in some and 20 in number 3. this brought my motivation level to a 0. the car sat while i tried to figure out what to do with it. do i grab another d and just boost it? no that'd be too easy.
a month later i found a 2001 prelude for sale that was hit in the rear. i worked out a deal with the owner where he took every body panel and interior piece and i got the dash/ drivetrain. he left anything and everything attached to the harness and i got a running, mobile prelude shell.
i checked the compression and was much happier with the 190 across the board on the h22z1 so i began to fill my garage with prelude parts so i could junk the shell.
50.jpg
51.jpg
52.jpg

who doesn't want an obd2 civic wagovan with a chip key immobilizer? stay away thieves!
53.jpg

now off to the scrapper it goes so i can bring the wagon back in!
54.jpg

so out came the bagged h22a4 and i got the new h22z1 ready to go in. since its never been mated to a b trans, it needed a couple things. i had to grind the block down to clear the halfshaft/axle, did a kstuned balance shaft delete kit, and a kstuned version 2 tensioner with new belt. (my garage is small, i know)
55.jpg
56.jpg
57.jpg

in goes the new h2b set up!
58.jpg

now the fun part. i gutted the car completely and took every wire out. it took a while to find places for all of the prelude wiring but we now have a 100% factory 2001 prelude inside my shell. obd2, 2 o2's, cat, its a factory car!
59.jpg

left the factory ignition on and hid the wiring so if someone gets into it, they'll have one hell of a time taking it. you need both keys, one to start and the original to be able to turn the wheel.
60.jpg

interior starting to go back in
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg

and the first start up with no exhaust. as you can see from the flashlight on the headlight, anyone that says balance shaft deletes dont make it rougher, have never done the actual removal. and my mounts aren't even solid. the car idles around 750rpm and it SHAKES
http://vid651.photobucket.com/albums/uu238/91blackgtr/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4593.mp4

then i had to get to work on the fun stuff. building an exhaust, making the hood fit, rad, linkage, allllll the fun stuff
64.jpg
65.jpg

and there it is! no codes, runs like a CHAMP and pulls pretty good. but to be honest it isn't living up to my expectations. i dont want a b16 trans just to get quarter mile times and have it be a horrible highway car. so i need to find another alternative to make it faster. right now with the ls trans its beating my buddies mk6 gti up top but i cant get traction in first or 2nd.
1.png
2.png

now how do you make a quick car faster? BOOST! so i picked up a nice little peakboost manifold, ive got some sard 720 injectors laying around, adjustable fpr, walbro 255 and a couple turbo options. but i dont feel like going with a small turbo for "better spool". i want a fun street car and what fun would that be if i never get traction on motor anyway? as long as i can hit full boost by vtec at 5500 rpm i'll be happy, it LOVES revving to 8k rpm anyway and i dont drive it much so why not have a laggy highway car?
66.jpg

i know everythings a little packed in there, i'll be throwing my half rad back in, relocate the battery and clean some things up, but this is a budget sleeper build. the time already put into this car far outweighs what i've got into it money wise and i dont feel like spending countless hours really trying to hide/get rid of stuff. its a function over form car for sure

this is where it sits now. its still driving around but i'm heading back up north to camp for a bit so it can sit in the garage for a while and i'll install everything when i get back hopefully mid sept! cant wait for this thing to be boosted! its already a BEAST. i just hope i can keep the hood closed and keep it sleeper. but if i have to i'll do whatever i need to make it fit and work (im a fabricator by trade)

Comments

• PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    Thats awesome man keep up the good work!
  • beastmodebeastmode Senior Wagonist
    :encouragement:
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    Now you won't get traction in any gear, lol
  • Nice! I built a QSD h2b 92 hatch a few years ago, they are nucking futs!
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    So much win it makes my head hurt... thanks for sharing!
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Nice! I am about to finish up my H2B hatch! But I have a B16 trans with LSD so it'll be a bit quicker lol.
  • H2bwagH2bwag Band Wagon
    Nice! mines a rebuilt trans and has an aftermarket LSD. First 2nd 3rd are super short, 4th and 5th are longer since there's a lot of highway where I am. You'll have a quick car down low but it'll be screaming on the highway
    My LSD is MFactory, not stock. It's not meant to be a highway car. I am building it entirely for track stuff. Not concerned with DDing or much of the highway.
    Awesome, I love track cars. I'm building a vr6 turbo b5 s4 that I plan to keep mainly as a track car/ street weapon but it's more of a long term project. Hence the boosting this to keep me occupied for a while
    Nice! Once the hatch is done I'll be boosting my wagon to hold me over while I build a monster miata. Should be sweet.
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    I am happy that you saved that red wagon from certain doom.
    A little update. I added a few parts to make it a fast car instead of a quick car. The list is a ys1 gsr trans, traction bars, peakboost manifold, rc750 injectors, precision 39mm wastegate, aem 320lph fuel pump, hondata s300, innovative wideband, t3/t4 turbo and semi slicks. I threw a quick rich tune on it until I can finish my entire solid bushing swap on the whole car. It's at 10 psi and is very hard to keep traction but it's already a rocket. Once the bushings are done it's off to the dyno. The goal this year is to get kicked off the track for no cage (11.4) it should be doable on a stock block stock trans!
    5.jpg
  • Nice update, lets see those slips!
  • PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    ^ what he said!
  • I wonder what power does this beast make.. Any dyno or track updates?
  • i am in for this one! its almost 1 year and the single update just reeled me in! haha
    Well a little update. New turbo is precision sp5857, block was sleeved by darton. Balance blue printing done by local engine builders. Arias Pistons Manley rods arp main and head studs super tech block guard and a competition 4 puck unsprung clutch. About to throw it back in the car today but I'm not a fan of the peakboost manifold so I'll be fabbing my own up
    1.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    3.jpeg
  • JFC...this is awesome!

I love the build and how each step you've taken just doesn't satisfy you. lol

Can't wait to see it in it's final form!